Advanced Japanese Book Club // Reading 虐殺器官 - Genocidal Organ

Perfect! In that case, here’s my nomination post for something I have on my BookMeter 読みたい list that I think might have wider appeal. Will then add to the list in the OP. :smiley:

感応グラン=ギニョル

Author: 空木 春宵

Summary

Japanese

Taken from Amazon:
昭和初期、浅草六区の片隅に建つ芝居小屋では、夜ごと少女たちによる残酷劇が演じられている。一座の役者は皆、ある特殊な条件のもと集められていた。ある日、容姿端麗で美しい声を持つ新人がやってくる。本来ここには完璧な少女は存在してはいけないはずなのに。その秘密が明らかになるとき、彼女の〈復讐〉が始まる。(「感応グラン=ギニョル」)。分かち合えない痛みや苦しみを抱えて生きる孤独な魂を描く全5編。第2回創元SF短編賞佳作受賞者、待望の書籍デビュー。

English

Chucking the Amazon description into DeepL:
In the early Showa period, a playhouse stands in a corner of Asakusa’s six wards, where cruel plays are performed nightly by young girls. All the actors in the troupe were gathered under certain special conditions. One day, a newcomer with good looks and a beautiful voice arrives. A perfect girl is not supposed to exist in this place. When her secret is revealed, her “revenge” begins. (“Sensou Grand-Guignol”). A total of five stories depicting lonely souls living with pain and suffering they cannot share. The long-awaited book debut of the winner of the 2nd Sogen SF Short Story Award.

Length: 393 pages (per Amazon)
Category: Sci-fi / dystopia-ish?

Availability

amazon.co.jp
bookwalker
booklive
honto (ebook, paper)

Personal Opinion

I read a review of it months ago when challenging myself to read an article everyday and it sounded intriguing. New author, short stories, has excellent reviews, seems like it will make me feel some feels. One of the Amazon reviews said it had cyberpunk vibes and it was 江戸川乱歩 esque.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros*

• Short stories tend to be more punchy and interesting
  • Won a prize
  • Widely available in ebook format

Cons*

• Almost 400 pages and the language seems like it fluctuates in difficulty a bit
  • I have no idea how weird things might get

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Since it’s short stories I just grabbed a short section from the 立ち読み preview here:

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all

• Minimal effort

• Moderate effort

• Significant effort

• So much effort my head might explode

• I don’t know

0 voters

5 Likes