Advanced Japanese Book Club // Next: アンダーグラウンド

傲慢と善良

Author: 辻村 深月

Summary

Japanese

婚約者・坂庭真実が姿を消した。その居場所を探すため、西澤架は、彼女の「過去」と向き合うことになる。「恋愛だけでなく生きていくうえでのあらゆる悩みに答えてくれる物語」と読者から圧倒的な支持を得た作品が遂に文庫化。

English

(translation) His fiancée, Mami Sakaniwa, has disappeared. In order to find her whereabouts, Kakeru Nishizawa will have to face his past. This work, which received overwhelming support from readers as “a story that answers not only love but all kinds of worries in life” has finally been published in paperback.

Length: 504
Category: Fast

Availability

Amazon. Bookwalker.

Personal Opinion

It’s the same author as かがみの孤城 (read by the intermediate book club) which is my all time favorite Japanese book so far. A Japanese acquaintance mentioned that she loved this author but かがみの孤城 wasn’t the best book, so I was like, there’s better?? She said she liked this one, and also one called スロウハイツの神様, but it seems less popular and is also two parts. I really don’t know much about the book, but it seems to be about love and life and stuff and is apparently pretty gripping. Some people have mentioned this book on wanikani/learn natively forums before.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Gripping story (supposedly)
  • Romance novel (sort of?) which is a first for the club?
  • Recommended by a Japanese friend (who has actually read it), surely we all trust her opinion
  • Doesn’t seem to have a translation, so you can feel like you learned Japanese for a reason

Cons

• A bit long, but it’s supposed to be easy
  • I really don’t know much about the story, so it will be a surprise

Pictures

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Read on Bookwalker or below:

Additional Pages

Read on Bookwalker

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know
0 voters
12 Likes