Advanced Japanese Book Club // Next: アンダーグラウンド

Moving away from the heavy stuff for a bit :slight_smile:

すべてがFになる - THE PERFECT INSIDER

Author: 森 博嗣 (もりひろし)

Summary

Japanese

孤島のハイテク研究所で、少女時代から完全に隔離された生活を送る天才工学博士・真賀田四季。彼女の部屋からウエディング・ドレスをまとい両手両足を切断された死体が現れた。偶然、島を訪れていたN大助教授・犀川創平と女子学生・西之園萌絵が、この不可思議な密室殺人に挑む。新しい形の本格ミステリィ登場。

English

Sōhei Saikawa, an associate professor of architectural engineering, and Moe Nishinosono, the daughter of his mentor, travel to a remote island. While there, the two work together to solve the murders of a prominent artificial intelligence researcher and the director of the lab located on the island.

Length: 524 pages
Category: easy&fast

Availability

Amazon
Bookwalker

Personal Opinion

This is the first book of the renowned writer MORI Hiroshi who was professor of engineering during the start of his writing career; later he decided to become a full-time writer. He has written dozens of books, and his genre is usually called “science mystery”. My hope is that a professor of engineering can get the science aspect across in a convincing way. Especially this book seems to deal with computer stuff quite a bit, so I’m looking forward to finding out how realistic it is and how dated it feels (the book was written in 1996).
The book (which was awarded a prize by the way) is the first of a 10-part series, but I expect that it can be read on its own.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Popular book
  • Popular author
  • Mystery novel

Cons

• Not sure how much people will enjoy it if they don’t like computers and science.

Pictures

Note: the pages here contain slightly more text than the original pages as I took them from the ebook.

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Moderate effort
  • Significant effort
  • So much effort my head might explode
  • I don’t know

0 voters

8 Likes