Advance Book Club with gamification Concept

I’m really glad you like the concept! And 頑張って. You know, not saying you must, but even when you find yourself at an intermediate level don’t be afraid to join. You could also read tadoku style to bring up your reading speed and while you might not understand everything at first when you keep at it you will.

I’m thinking Sean’s suggestion might be best in that we split into groups. Perhaps we can see who’s interested in what book and try to put overlapping interests in one group, and make each group 6 people.

Welcome! Lol, and yeah we’ll just have to see. I think most people here are honest so I don’t think someone would exploit the system. And it would only benefit them once to do so anyway.

4 Likes

I think the same sorts of thoughts.
I was going to link to the xkcd comic about how fandoms are the least toxic when they are either very large (and thus approach the average proportion of *******s), or very small (and thus the members can just kick out troublemakers), but I couldn’t find it anywhere even though I searched for over an hour. I think the alt-text was something like “The fans of [some show] are the nicest people I have ever met. All two of them.” Does anyone know which comic this was? Or maybe it wasn’t xkcd?

2 Likes

Sounds like fun :kissing:
Not sure if I can handle the pace yet, but I am seriously considering it.

In a group of potentially avid readers, I imagine it might often come up that some people has already read any given book proposal. Would be quite lame if this happens to someone too often and they don’t get many more books to read.

Maybe each person makes two propositions and people vote simply if they’ve read it or not for both. The one least read gets picked as that person’s proposed book. Unfortunately this increases complexity and is sort of approaching a popularity vote, which I assume you wanted to avoid.

Or maybe it won’t happen that often, and everything will be fine. Either way, excited to see where this goes :+1:

3 Likes

Maybe I’ll try at least with one book and see how it goes from there. :slight_smile: Right now I’m reading 絵本 meant for toddlers, so I’m probably in way over my head. XD However, I reckon I can read the book again at a later time and hopefully understand more of it then.
But when thinking about how I started to learn english, I remember how I would plunge into books way over my level of understanding and just read through them without looking up much and it really helped me in getting a grip of the language. So why not try the same technique with Japanese!
Hopefully I’ll get over that block in my head that tries to tune out everytime I see a wall of kanji ™. I had the same problem with russian text and it got better by making myself read things, although I didn’t understand all of it (And my Russian has gotten truly neglected for some years now that I think of it :frowning: . Why isn’t there more time in a day?) .

tl;dr
I’d like to join! :durtle_tomato:

6 Likes

I am on board to give this a go. I was sort of planning to do a version of this on my own anyway, but this would incentivise me to stay on top of things maybe. Plus it would get me reading a wider variety of books which can be neat.

4 Likes

I was sure you were lazy ha ha :stuck_out_tongue:

頑張って先輩!

1 Like

@TamanegiNoKame @BlueberryPear @Gyoshi @Ditto20 @Belerith @Naphthalene @Vendemiaire

Are you guys still interested In this book Club? If so is there a time you’d prefer to start and do you have any suggestions to make the club better?

Edit: Also if you already have your books in mind please do tell!

I’m sorry for not saying anything for a while, I moved to japan Last month and I’ve been extremely busy!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m still interested. As long as it’s not this month I’d be fine with starting pretty much whenever.

As for books, I just bought the first volumes of 本好きの下剋上 and 絶対ナル孤独者 recently, so while I’m not completely sure I imagine I’d probably go with one of those for my pick unless there’s some good reason not to or I suddenly change my mind

2 Likes

Yup, still interested.

I was hoping we’d start later (after Haruhi and the JLPT, to be exact, now that I signed up after all), but I get that that’s still a long ways off.

If we do decide to start earlier that’s fine, I’ll probably sit out the first half until then. :slight_smile:

The only book I’ve been wanting to read that I have available is しあわせのぱん, which is a short 200 pages, not very densely written, promising some very light slice of life. xD So, not gonna be nominating that one for the advanced book club this is meant to be. Will have to think more about that. :+1:

Speaking of books, I’m very much interested in 本好きの下剋上 that @Ditto20 mentioned too!

Getting back to the club, I think it might be easier to fine tune the details when we’ve tried it?

2 Likes

I never saw this thread for some reason…

I kinda feel like joining just to nominate 狼と香辛料, but maybe it’s not fair if I’ve already read it.

I could lurk and see which book gets chosen and if it interests me :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

If you feel like re reading it, why not? :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t mind, that one’s also on my list.

That reminds me, I recently bought 獣の奏者. I think some of you may have read that one already though.

2 Likes

I do intend to read it and see how much I improved from the first time.

獣の奏者 is also on my list too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m going to run a book club for this very early next year if you don’t mind waiting. I’ve already been working out a schedule and how to run it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With an actual schedule? :wink:

Yep, this one had enough people interested to warrant an actual schedule.

2 Likes

I’m still interested!

I do not have any idea for a recommendation though.
I’ll try to find something, I guess.

2 Likes

I am still interested. And I would really like to read ハリー・ポッターと賢者の石 and would like to nominate that.
It’s for sentimental reasons on the one hand, since it was the first “real” book I read in English, but on the other hand I’ve read that it is actually really reader friendly in Japanese, since it starts up easy with lots of furigana and it’s slowly getting to a more standard reading style.
Also, I know that I like the story and I already know what’s happening, that always makes for less stressful reading and I think that would be good for a book we want to read at a fast pace.

I would be in favor of starting in December, but even if we start earlier I’d join, I would just have to catch up.

1 Like

I am in favor of that nomination since I already own the book. :joy:

1 Like

Fixed that for you :rofl:

6 Likes

My hero! :laughing:

4 Likes