Additional audio updates

Kyoko and Kenichi are all well and good, but what about Koichi and the rest of the gang? Random Tofugoe Mode! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Be careful what you wish for

21 Likes

Put my vote for random voice selection, too.

I would also like to have Kanji read.

I sent a long list a while back of suggestions. Do you still have it?

flashes back to the super loud Koichi reading of “wanikani” that was in level 50

11 Likes

It doesn’t really make sense to have audio for kanji. Kanji don’t have “correct” pronunciations on their own (even for a single reading) since the pitch accent can change depending on the word it’s in.

12 Likes

You guys are the BEST!!! :heart_eyes:

Great update! Thanks for all the hard work!! :v:

Record one item a day and release it secretly on the API

4 Likes

When you type in ă“ăă»ă†â€Š

giphy

20 Likes

Omg, can we please get movie reference audio? So the audio for ă“ăă»ă† would actually be Nic saying I’m gonna steal The Declaration Of Indipendence

4 Likes

Would a script for this not be viable actually? Isn’t it doable to source the sound byte from an external website and push away the audio from WK?

I suppose it cannot be done “oficially” due to copyright issues.

Yes! Finally there’ll be a female reading for â€œć„œăâ€!
I-I mean, very useful update, it’ll definitely help my studies haha!

8 Likes

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work

Hmm, you think soundbytes would fall under copyright protection?

2 Likes

If WK would have used audio clip from the movie on the site, they definitely would have to pay license fees. After all, considering that WK is paid site, it would be considered commercial use, so no leeways such as “fair use” there.

2 Likes

However, since we’re not profiting from it, and as long as koichi is not asking it from us personally, would that be fair use?

2 Likes

Well, I mean
 I don’t think WK could prevent anyone from doing something like that, they just wouldn’t be able to make it part of the site officially.

3 Likes

It’s so wonderful to see how you guys never let the platform stagnate and always find ways to improve it along with our experience. Thank you! :relaxed:

7 Likes

@viet, I’ve just updated Self-Study Quiz to support the audio info in APIv2.
While writing the interface, it occurred to me that if there is a likelihood of adding new voice actors, it would be helpful to have an API endpoint to list them, so scripts/apps can generate a drop-down box for a preferences dialog.

Ideally, people should practice with all speakers, but I can see where it would be useful to practice with one speaker, then another, etc.

9 Likes

Good point. I’ll run it by the team.

7 Likes