Adding "House-sitting" as a meaning for 留守

I’m sorry, but shouldn’t “House-sitting” be added as another meaning for 留守?
I mean, of course, everyone can add it as a synomym, but here’s the first example sentence:

母は買い物に出かけているので、私と妹が留守をしています。
My mom is out shopping, so my sister and I are house sitting.

The example sentences are supposed to illustrate the meaning and the usage, aren’t they? However, if we only use the WK-defined meanings for 留守 (“Absence” and “Away from home”) - then the translation of the sentence would be the opposite - “My mom is out shopping, so me and my younger sister are away from home”.

7 Likes

Yes, that is a valid meaning. 留守をする can mean ‘to take care of the house’ or ‘look after the house’ during the absence of the owner. House-sitting being a more compact translation.

2 Likes

I could have sworn “house-sitting” used to be one of the definitions WK included… strange. It definitely should be included.

1 Like

That would explain the dissonance in the sentence vs the meaning. Maybe the meanings changed but the sentence wasn’t updated?

@JenK can you weigh in on this?

3 Likes

私は彼に留守番を⦅留守中の家の世話を⦆頼んだ

I asked him to look after my house while I was out. [while I was away, during my absence]

1 Like

Sorry about that confusion! Not sure why it’s not on the meanings list, but I’ve added ‘house sitting’ to the whitelist.

4 Likes