Add warning instead of failure whenever user uses onyomi instead of kunyomi and vice versa

While some kanji have this kind of warning, most of vocabulary words don’t - so if I type “gyuu” instead of “ushi” cause I didn’t notice that I should use kunyomi , it’s automatic failure.
I’m sure that with time, my brain will react automatically to colour of background and this problem isn’t relevant for people who learning kanji from scratch since them always remember mnemonic story … however, if you already know some words / kanji , this feature could save a bit of energy and improve quality of experience :wink:

1 Like

It’s been asked for a lot of times but it makes sense for it to be the way it is. If you make these honest mistakes, getting a script such as “override” (lets you mark something “not wrong” and you can try again) could help. I can’t think of them now but I know that there have been times when I wonder “oh, was this a kun’yomi or on’yomi vocab?”. If you get that wrong it should be marked as wrong… since it’s wrong…

6 Likes

The thing is if you answer ぎゅう instead of うし for 牛 as a vocab word it’s 100% wrong. It’s not like answering うし for the 牛 kanji item, because that’s a reading for the kanji, just not the one WK wants.

The kanji 牛 has the readings ぎゅう (on) and うし (kun). But the vocab word 牛 can only be read うし.

If you get it wrong because you honestly didn’t notice it wanted the vocab reading instead of the kanji reading, then that could be solved installing the override script. But try to slow down a bit and get used to the background color.

Remember, purple background does not equal kun’yomi reading. It equals vocab reading, which may be on’yomi (本[ほん], for example).

10 Likes

Well getting script would be wrong since it will create temptation to slack so it isn’t solution, not at least for me.
if word would be 牛乳 or 牛肉 - I would never do such mistake - those mistakes always single kanji without ひらがな.
I guess I will need to adapt :sunny:, it will take a lot of time for me just to reach first unfamiliar word or kanji but I’m glad to reenforce and solidify knowledge of basic kanji & words :smile:

Yes, this is just part of what makes Japanese a difficult language. But it’s good that WK tells us when we type the wrong reading in these cases.

I have a suggestion for you:

If you want to know more easily if it should be onyomi or kunyomi reading, then KunOn+ shows you while reviewing what reading WK wants from you.

I agree though that it’s good to try and remember vocabs as WK has created them, but it’s a script that can be handy :wink:

I assume this only works for kanji reviews, right?

Haven’t thought about that, but now when you mention it, it makes sense it would only apply there. I can check while doing my reviews.

EDIT: Yes, only Kanji reviews… thanks for noticing that!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.