Add 睡 to similar kanji of 垂

Just the title. 垂 and 睡 are similar looking, so they should be listed together. Also, 車 should be added as well, as it is even used as the radical and is in the memnoic.

6 Likes

It’s a shame 車 is used as a radical for 垂, as they don’t look similar to me. Perhaps it’s because 車 is so commonly used that it already got etched into my brain.

8 Likes

@Mods

2 Likes

I added 垂 and 睡 to each other’s list for now, and will be checking about our usage for car as a radical.

6 Likes

Perhaps it could be called an elevator or lift? It kind of looks like one, it gets the idea of “dangle” or “be suspended” across, and it can be quite memorable when an elevator swings.

睡 - Standing in an elevator, watching the floor count. It’s so slow, you think you might fall asleep. Then the elevator starts to swing. This should probably concern you, but it just makes you even sleepier.

唾 (not currently added, but Joyo and somewhat useful) - There’s an elevator going in and out of your mouth, collecting saliva. Your dad (だ) taught you this method for collecting saliva, saying it will come in handy when the war comes.
The elevator has two buckets (つば or つばき) that fill with saliva.

I don’t actually think these kanji look very similar at all. The other one is one radical while the other is two, which makes the feel very different, even if they share the 垂 part.

But I guess it could be easy to mix up their meanings.

1 Like

I think if a handful of people find them similar, and they do share a portion of similar strokes etc, then they should be added to similar. Similar kanji are there to ease that confusion.

1 Like

Well, of course. I was just expressing my subjective view curious to know if I’m in the minority. And we really don’t know which is more common

All good, I was just trying to get the balance to what you were saying. If this thread is about deciding to add things to similar, then lower level learners getting them confused has more weight than if higher level learners do not. That’s all! I have no idea how common it is to confuse it, that’d be for someone with access to the stats :smile:

1 Like

I don’t think they’re similar. One has an entire, extra six-stroke radical next to it. That’s like saying 米 and 粁 should be considered similar-looking. Radicals such as 岩 and 岸 or 視 and 祝 make more sense to me as being on the similarity list.

1 Like

I think the difference there is size, and the fact that 米 is introduced before 粁. When I first saw, 垂 I was confused as my memory just had it the same as 睡 (since I had never really logged in my head as the left part of the kanji as relevent).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.