[Unmaintained] Active Japanization Classroom (AJC)

alright, thank you!

@detamysantiago Thank you for the screenshot, looks like you were just slower and didn’t make a real pause, I’d keep the original start date unless you feel like you didn’t put much effort in the levels 2 and 3. IMHO being slower at times is normal and that could happen later again. But it’s your call. :wink:

In any case, I’ve added you to the spreadsheet – welcome to the classroom!

1 Like

Title of your s… tape! :wink:

Love your avatar Santiago! And we started on the same day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Touché :joy: So stoked for the episode this weekend.

Thanks - I love my bisexual badass Rosa Diaz but I’m definitely more like Ames. :books:

** high fives you b/c started on the same day (!!!) **

2 Likes

Everybody loves Rosa! Me, too!!! But I’m actually probably most like Gina. Batshit crazy, but kinda adorable. XD

Gina%20for%20president

The new season’s not out on Netflix Germany yet. :-/

1 Like

I loveee Gina.

I’m also currently in Germany and I’ve watched the episode. :eyes:

I left the UK just as they put Season 4 up. I was not impressed…

1 Like

Ooooh, then I have missed it starting! O.o Something to look forward to tomorrow, I hope I won’t be disappointed…

Ah sorry, I mean it’s airing in America at the moment but I found the episode online. :eyes:

Here are the results of this weeks script-based spreadsheet update:

• @phurry was expelled from the classroom due to inactivity
  • the current subsequent weeks without losing members is set back to 0 (record: 1)
  • the average unlocks per day of the entire classroom has increased from 11.47 to 11.55

Good work everybody and keep working hard!

1 Like

Please add me too. My start date for my current run was Feb 26, 2018. Thank you!

As I already explained somewhere more at the top of this thread, I was one of those people where “life happened” and I didn’t have time to do reviews anymore. But that’s exactly the point of this classroom (at least for me):

Even when “life happens”, taking the five minutes for WaniKani at least once in five days will prevent you from forgetting WaniKani entirely and losing the habit you built up when you were motivated enough. And having a habit is the single most important step to being successful (see here).

I think a little “public shaming” to remind them of the fact that they didn’t even review a single item on WaniKani will help keeping the habit of visiting WaniKani and doing some reviews. Even just seeing how other people are being publicly expelled adds a little social helper deep in your brain to not forget doing some reviews. Without this, the entire classroom would only be here for statistics – that’s what the old Japanisation Classroom was.

Also please note that joining AJC is completely voluntary. If some of the old Japanisation Classroom members want to be removed from the list because of fear for “public shaming”, they can just write me and I will remove them silently.

Lastly, to come to your bold claim:

1. You were never part of AJC just because you were in the old Japanisation Classroom.
  2. Since even the old Japanisation Classroom was my idea (together with @Prozar) and I created the old spreadsheet, too, I wonder how you’ve been part of it before me.

Since you aren’t even part of AJC, I really wonder what your problem is.

2 Likes

@sgtowns I just added you to the spreadsheet – welcome to the classroom!

Everybody joining the classroom knows that this happens. If someone doesn’t like that part, they probably won’t join. :man_shrugging:
Feedback acknowledged, but obviously your view isn’t shared by the people who decide to join the group.
Sorry, but I always find it strange when people go inside an already existing and functioning thread, just to say that they don’t like the concept of it. It’s like when someone went out of there way to go inside of the “tomato appreciation thread” just to state that they think tomatoes are disgusting and they hate them.
Obviously, your comment here was at least meant to be constructive, but I still don’t get why people feel obliged to comment in everything and can’t just think "I think this is bad. I won’t join. " and just don’t tell anybody about that.

1 Like

I was part of the Discord server at the beginning, although I didn’t like the idea of moving the discussion somewhere else. But I was open for the idea in general. Until at some point someone became abusive just because he believed that what he did for work (web development) was better than what I did for work (app development). Although everybody knew he was being abusive no one did anything about it. That’s when I left. And since I didn’t have much time to chat anyways there was no reason to go back in again.

So, in case you were interested, now you know why you haven’t seen me there.

Maybe I can explain why I like this “calling out”, just to add another perspective. It makes me part of a community where I feel like somebody would care (or at least notice) when I don’t do any reviews for some time.
And when I come back, I would have a place to share why I struggled / didn’t have time / prioritised something else / maybe was on vacation without Internet access.
I would even feel justified to write something long if I felt like it , or if not I could just say “life got in the way” and come back.
It gives me a sense of a real class and not just self learning, where the only one who realises when I don’t make progress and the only one who could possibly call me out on it is me. :blush:

4 Likes

@Dschee I’d like to be added as well

Starting date: October 11, 2017
Level: 15
Apprentice: 90
Guru: 592
Master: 631
Enlightened: 997
Burned: /
Language: Hindi

1 Like

I don’t know. Personally I don’t think it would make a difference, but that’s just because for me it wouldn’t. But it would certainly add even more work for @Dschee. I don’t think it would be change that much, so I wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

Sorry I’m a little confused, do you mean to say that I’m able to make changes to the spreadsheet myself?

you can edit any of the blue cells yourself if you ever want to check on your statistics outside of the weekly updates. just make sure you aren’t accidentally messing with someone else’s stats

2 Likes

@MidnightOverlord I’ve just added you to the spreadsheet. Welcome to the Active Japanization Classroom!

1 Like