[Unmaintained] Active Japanization Classroom (AJC)

Done. Welcome to the class as well, jonoleonard-さん!

1 Like

I read into the better explanation. WK 3 times a day? I guess everybody has that kind of time? Cuz I sure don’t. It also seems unreasonable in the sense that one should study more than just Kanji when learning Japanese.

But this has given me quite the insight- it would appear as though most people do reviews as soon as their available- my approach has been to knock out that day’s reviews in a sitting, and then come back the next day same time. And then do lessons as soon as I have the time to do 'em. So, I’m guessing once a day is a slow approach, then. … which is just strange to me, I figured that’d have been a reasonable pace, but I guess not? Not sure how anybody else with a full time job keeps that kind of hustle, AND studies grammar and such as well. Thanks for your input

2 Likes

Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I’m sure most of us do them :slight_smile: If you find 5 extra minutes to take care of that day’s new items, you’ll do great.

Also, it doesn’t necessarily take longer to do multiple sets of reviews per day. You will get reviews slightly more often, because you’ll get e.g. the 4-hour and 8-hour reviews in the same day, but otherwise it’s just a case of ‘same amount of time, spread out differently’.

I do a small review session (usually literally 5 - 20 items) in the morning, then do some lessons. I have an equally small (~20) session at 12, while I eat my lunch, to catch the 4-hour review. Then I do one large session in the evening.

I can imagine the morning session would be difficult if, for example, you have children, but I doubt the majority of WK’s users are in this camp.

sorry OP for usurping your thread I’m gone now byeeeeee…

I don‘t think one should take the fact that others are faster too personally. Everybody‘s got different goals and circumstances, so it‘s natural everyone‘s got his own pace.

I‘m also working full time, I‘m married and I have other time-consuming hobbies, too like programming and singing in a choir. I already went down the path of trying to compete with the really fast guys here, but in the end I couldn‘t handle it and my review pile got bigger and bigger until I couldn‘t ever get it down again. As a consequence it wasn‘t fun anymore to do reviews cause I didn‘t get to the uplifting moment with 0 reviews. So I lost my motivation after a while.

I learned my lesson now though and by resetting me back a few levels and not using any user scripts (they can speed you up quite a bit) I came to manage reviews again and I follow the rule of thumb which I read here in the forums somewhere to not do any new lessons that get my „Apprentice“ count to over 100 - that helps a lot.

Finally, the goal should be to study every day and to have constant progress over time. The spreadsheet is here to warn you if you get slower, and maybe it also motivates you by showing there are people that are just a bit faster than you are. Maybe you find one or two people you wanna keep up with who seem to have similar circumstances? :blush:

3 Likes

Hello dear Japanization classroom members,

I’d like to inform you all that I just wrote a script for updating the spreadsheet and I will run it once a week.

To take the class name seriously and only accept active members, the script will automatically remove every member from the list who didn’t do reviews since more than 5 days. Also users who don’t have an active subscription with WaniKani any more will be removed as well.

As a matter of fact, by running the script today it removed 24 inactive members from the list. As those were mostly remains from the old “Japanisation Classroom”, I will not mention who was removed. But in the future I will mention the people I removed here in this thread so they know. They are, so to say, “expelled” from the class. :smile:

I hope you’re all on top of your review pile – good luck everybody!

2 Likes

What if i joined wanikani in 2014 but i started studying until jan 1st this year? I’d like to join. Also native language is Spanish

No problem, I’ll just need to set your start date to January, 1st then. I’ve just added you to the spreadsheet, welcome to the Active Japanization Classroom and good luck with your studies! :+1:

Hi everybody,

as promised, I just updated all data on the spreadsheet using the script.

The following people were expelled from the Active Japanization Classroom (AJC) due to inactivity:
@meadowdrone, @Primus, @MotionDuck, @Scribble, @lwllrff, @jezzarax

If any of you want to re-enter the AJC, just tell me and I’ll add you again.

To all members:
You made it, you lasted another week and continued your studies. Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Can you add me please @Dschee? :slight_smile:

Starting date: 6th of June of 2017.
Level: 38
Apprentice: 94
Guru: 821
Master: 962
Enlightened: 2439
Burned: 1407
Language/Nationality: European Portuguese (Portugal)

1 Like

Throw me up on the list when you have a second, my friend.

Start date: Oct 4, '17
Level: 06
Apprentice: 92
Guru: 250
Master: 154
Enlightened: 285
Burned: 0
Native language/Nationality: English/British

hello, i’d love to be added to the classroom. i started on january 29 2018 and my native language is english

Well, I guess it doesn’t hurt to be in here too :slight_smile:

Starting date: 2012-08-23 BUT I didn’t even finish level one at the time. I came back on 2017-12-20.
Level: 11
Apprentice: 73
Guru: 539
Master: 790
Enlightened: 328
(Burned: 0)
Language/Nationality: French (France)

1 Like

@jprspereira, @Kippers, @munchie255 and @Nath – you were all justed added to the spreadsheet.
Welcome to the classroom and good luck with your studies!

2 Likes

Aaaaand there we go again with another update from the script.

This time only one person is being expelled from the classroom due to inactivity:
@Axazel

Let’s see what it’ll look like next week. Maybe we can make it all together?
Good work this week again, everbody, let’s keep the pace up! :tada:

2 Likes

Can you add me please? I sent you an email but I don’t know if you saw it
Start date: August 15, 2017
Level: 28
Apprentice: 96
Guru: 623
Master: 623
Enlightened: 2488
Burned: 568
Native language/Nationality: English (British)

This seems fun!! Count me in :slight_smile: I sent an email.

I’m not sure when I should set my start date.

As you can see, I had a few long (very long) pauses. I signed up on 8/31/14, but didn’t get serious until 9/7/17 (level 11). I think that if I set my start date to the day I started level 11, my statistics will be distorted, which kinda goes against the purpose of starting a new classroom. Maybe if I set it to the day I started level 10 (3/20/17) the distortion would balance out a little?

Starting date: see above
Level: 30
Apprentice: 156
Guru: 833
Master: 574
Enlightened: 1819
Burned: 1153
Language/Nationality: English (America)

@Arban I saw it, thanks. I’ve just added you to the list. ようこそ!

@charlesfm Yeah, I think using level 10 as start date will be pretty much correct looking at your WK stats. I’ve added you to the list with that date. Also, welcome to the classroom!

1 Like

I will repost when I’m level 3, I’ve taken Japanese for some years and will probably be level 3 within a few days. Posting so I can easily find this thread again.

1 Like

So I have reached level 3. Would you want me to subscribe first before adding me to that list?