[Unmaintained] Active Japanization Classroom (AJC)

Do you gonna try the N4 next year again? Or the N5?
I‘m not sure what I gonna do, right now. I learned during the test, that i have to train much much more grammar. In around 4 months i gonna decide if I try N4 or N5 again ^^

But let‘s still hope that we both passed by luck :joy:

We only have 1 test at the next JLPT test location which is always the one in december, so I’m definitely going to try N4 again. I think one should not decide too early which one to take. It’s better to study as hard as you can, then take the J-CAT online test right before deciding.

My mistake this time was that I thought I’d have more time to study the 3 months before the test like I did when I registered for the test. Next time I’ll register for the one which I could already pass (based on J-CAT) and go for that.

1 Like

Happy joiniversary @Dschee! Being in this classroom made me worried i was going to be kicked out last couple weeks, so I kept coming back to to the bare minimum of a couple dozen reviews pretty much every couple days, while letting my review pile up throughout the holidays :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Considering @Dschee hasn’t visited the forum since the last post, I’m afraid that the AJC is dead (for now).

That being said, maybe updates are just less frequent now…

1 Like

Hey, I’m new here, wouldn’t it be easier to fetch the data automatically with some script instead of doing it by hand ?
Anyway, I would like to be added if the AJC goes back on track !

@Dschee could you please add me too?

My native language is russian and I would like the start date to be changed to 15 november 2018.

wanikani-stats

1 Like

This is a great Idea! I would love to be added to the list!

Can I just say, I saw that you posted in here in Feb '18, and were level 11 at the time, and have since hit level 60, and it super motivated me to keep pushing for my 7 days per level pace so that I can hit 60 by the end of the year.

Thanks for being, well inspiring I guess, it’s great to see that there are people who were able to make the 1ish year dream happen!

1 Like

I’m glad to hear that (even though I didn’t do anything to deserve it :sweat_smile:)
There are a bunch of people who posted about their experience this past few months, and most of them did it in the 1 year-ish timeframe. (It’s probably biased; slower people may just not post about it)

Anyway, good luck! I see from your description that you have strong foundations in Japanese too, that will come in handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s this weeks script-based spreadsheet update info:

• expelled because inactive: @anji, @suying617
  • expelled because account deleted/renamed: @myigol
  • subsequent weeks without losing members: 0 (record: 1)
  • last update without losing members: 2018-09-07
  • the average unlocks per day of the entire classroom has decreased from 11.70 to 10.57
  • highest average to date was 12.65 (2018-07-10), lowest average to date is 10.57 (2019-01-08)

The comdemned live longer … I’m not dead, guys. Nor is this classroom. If anything, there were holidays. :smile:

Yes, it’s true, I’m not updating every week any more, rather more like every 2 weeks. It’s just life guys, sorry for that. I’m trying my best to keep the sheet up to date and we had long holidays recently, so maybe it got a week too much.

@zessirb: Of course it would be better to do it automatically. But does Google Sheets have an API I could use to update the sheet? I don’t know of any such thing. I could build a website where people could register and be dropped automatically, but I simply don’t have the time for it. The script took me less than 30 minutes and it’s working, so … but feel free to create something if you feel like it! :slight_smile: I’d be glad to give feedback.

@zessirb, @invfo, @Kazuma29: You were all added to the classroom, welcome! がんばってください!

3 Likes

Yes, Google Sheets has an API ; the website could be an idea but it would be more work and would have to be uploaded somewhere ; I did something to help you with the updating though.
It is a small python program that fetches the data on Wanikani profiles pages and updates the spreadsheet.
You can find it here, please have a look : https://github.com/zessirb/Wanikani-Japanization-Classroom-Updater

@Dschee Please add me. Native language: English. “Unpaused” start date: 12/24/18

1 Like

I’d like to be added as well. Native Language is English and my start date was November, 4th 2018

1 Like

Thank you @zessirb, I didn’t know Google Docs had an API. I will try out your small program, but as far as I can see in the code, there’s no output like this, that and that which I need to know who to expell from the classroom. Additionally a feature for adding new members to the spreadsheet just by typing the name would be nice.

Also knowing now that there indeed is an API, I can of course fully automate this, without even the need for me to run a program like your python script. I will have a look into the implementation though when writing that program, so many thanks for the program! Much appreciated. :wink:

And here’s this weeks script-based spreadsheet update info:

• expelled because inactive: @shiza
  • expelled because account deleted/renamed: @sgtowns
  • subsequent weeks without losing members: 0 (record: 1)
  • last update without losing members: 2018-09-07
  • the average unlocks per day of the entire classroom has increased from 10.57 to 11.04
  • highest average to date was 12.65 (2018-07-10), lowest average to date was 10.57 (2019-01-08)

Also @dpuza and @Iyoaonas: You were added to the classroom. Welcome! :tada:

Sorry guys for taking so long with the updat again, next time I’ll have this automated thanks to @zessirb, so there will be more regular updates from next time on!

3 Likes

By the way, Discourse has an API as well, you can automate the update messages too :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@Dschee obligatory I’m still kind of alive but currently really busy so I not studying as much as I want to :tired_face:

Hello @Dschee! Can I be added to the classroom? My start date is Nov 17, 2018. Thank you!

@Dschee, can I be added too? My reset date is Dec 12 2018

Okay guys, I have to confess. I simply can’t keep the list updated on a weekly basis anymore, even with a better script. It’s become too much of a hassle lately. But I also don’t want the AJC to come to an end. So, yesterday I pulled myself together and decided to bring the AJC website to life after all!

Here’s what I plan the website to do:

• Show a list of all AJC class members with their data (just like in the spreadsheet)
  • Make the list sortable by Start Date, Unlocked and Unlocks per Day (just like in the spreadsheet)
  • Provide a submission form for new/expelled members
    (using the API key temporarily for authorization without persisting it in the database)
  • Provide some basic statistics (like I did with my weekly updates in this thread)
  • Warn members who provided an email when they were inactive for 5 subsequent days
  • Inform members who provided an email when they are expelled after 7 inactive days

I will also write to the WaniKani team and ask for an API key for this very forum. If they provide me one, I will also post here automatically when a member is expelled. I might also make the weekly posts from the website, but I’m not sure about that yet since the statistics will already by available on the site.

My plan is to make a first release of the website within a week from now. I already made the first steps, you can find the code here in case you’re curious. It’s all open source and written in Swift. Contributions are welcome once I make the first release. Also, you can see the current state of the website here.

I hope you will like this change. Feel free to post any ideas or worries you have.

@yatyisam & @rawrdinosaur:
You can both become part of the AJC once the site is up. Please be patient.

4 Likes