Accent of the new audio guy

Could someone tell me where they’re getting the pronunciations? I’ve never heard audio on wanikani before, I’m not sure if it’s something I have to turn on or where the audio might be. Thanks!

There is a way to turn it on to come on automatically (I think) but otherwise, just look for a little speaker beside the readings for vocabulary items. You can listen to it when you do your lessons, when you get the vocabulary item correct in reviews, or on the page of information for the vocabulary items.

1 Like

Click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner like in this screenshot:

I’m clicking it but it just makes the screenshot bigger.

:fox_face: I’ll leave now.

13 Likes

Oh you’re a cheeky one… :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve felt the same way ever since the new audio came in. The new guy sounds so harsh. And considering how I’m mimicking him constantly, I worry about developing a style of speech which sounds too gruff lol! The old voices were a lot softer, it especially helped having a female speaker to give variation too.

2 Likes

In my experience, people who worry too much in the beginning about the voice of the audio recording, how to tell onyomi and kunyomi, why WK doesn’t cover all Joyo kanji, etc. don’t last too long. They expend too much energy on things that either don’t matter or will be dealt with in the future anyway, and not enough energy on just diving in and learning and making mistakes and learning from their mistakes and getting better.

6 Likes

I don’t agree. That’s just a generalization, which in part maybe true for some people.

When I started I had all those questions and some more. It’s only natural when starting to learn a language, you question this and that, because you’re afraid you’re missing out on some things if you don’t do it properly. I even remember my first post here, asking how to deal with kana-only words, since we were just learning vocab with kanji. That was a serious concern, and I eventually found my answer with the kana-only list on Torii.

I’ll give you a concrete example. When I first started to learn the kanji here on WK, I always took extra time to learn the mnemonics, especially the kanji ones. Because I thought that was the only way to memorize them. As I progressed, I started to make my own or simply didn’t make them at all. I began to just associate the kanji with the meaning and reading by lots of repetition. The self-study script helped me a lot to shift my focus away from the mnemonics, but I understand that this method might not be for everybody.

Other examples are true. When you first start to learn a language you gain some habits that you’ll lose overtime and realize that some things are not worth doing. I used to write kanji a lot by hand, but eventually focused more on memorizing them instead of learning how to write them, because I realized that I didn’t need that skill anytime soon.

So, in time, you adapt. Some things you were unsure about, you start to see more clearly, and all the questions you had, slowly get answered by your own experience. Doesn’t mean you give up because you had all these questions.

I will end with this: If you start learning a language and you don’t have any questions, doubts, concearns, etc, you might not last too long either, because when you face the first problems you won’t know how to deal with them.

4 Likes

But… that’s also a generalisation…

6 Likes

Indeed. Didn’t say generalizations are false. But I did say “you might not last long either”. Didn’t say it as a matter of fact.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Not really. I got where I needed to be after all. And with all those questions…

1 Like

3 Likes

The new audio guy should have a Tsugaru dialect.

Wanikani : HARD MODE

4 Likes

People that want to make sure they are learning things correctly don’t last long? What?

Learning things incorrectly, realizing the mistake, and then breaking the bad habit is way harder than learning something correctly from the beginning. The same would apply to the pronunciation of letters/words.

1 Like

I see. So WK hired a Japanese speaker who deliberately recorded wrong audio for the vocabs? I want whatever you’re smoking.

6 Likes

Nice personal attack.

Also, “Learn things incorrectly” is not equal to “WK is deliberately doing things wrong”. If the source material can be hard to understand (like an accent in this example), you might memorize things wrong.

5 Likes

You misrepresented my quote “learning from mistakes” as “learn things incorrectly”. So now you’re trying to make me the villain? Epic fail.

5 Likes

now now, let’s all be nice

21 Likes

もうしもうし is not commonly said, but it’s how WaniKani is teaching that word.

When they add the “all readings have a recording” update soon, one for もしもし will be available as well.

1 Like