Absolute Beginners Book Club // Starting May 1st - Teasing Master Takagi-san // Currently Reading: 10 Minute Biographies

I would love to join this! Question: are there good guides for purchasing books from amazon.co.jp if you live in the US? Or is it not possible to do so?

I will probably join anyway, but I highly prefer Physical so voted for it =)

I bought them on Amazon, so I know they are there at least :wink:
I’ll have a look

Oki, back: Link

1 Like

Check the first post :wink:

1 Like

I’ll maybe join if the book/manga is interesting and only if there’s an ebook:3 Buying physical for me is probalby impossible - the post will (maybe) deliver it in month(s) and there’re no book shops which sell japanese books:c

1 Like

$53!!! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

There are some I would join on digital though; The Graded readers from White Rabbit. There are only 9 stories so far, and we might only be ready for the low ones anyway. I LOVE those stories! <3

1 Like

We try to decide on books months in advance so people can get it in time =)

1 Like

Oh, that’s nice! But still, digital is better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yeah, the graded readers in the app are quite nice. I really hope, they will publish more of them there. I often try to read a little there during breaks

They promised new entries Q4 of 2018 :rofl:
Guess they might come any time now though =)

And we, the WK people, basically forced them to give us the option to hide furigana :rofl:
And they did! On our request (after saying no first, but then listened to reason =P )

I LOVE the lvl 0 one, I keep reading it over and over even though i know the words :wink:

The bat one is my second fav, it it lvl 1, which should be perfect for this group =)

I think what we have done so far is closer to the lvl 3 books, the hardest ones they offer. So if we want proper easy, these are well worth it!

2 Likes

Ok… let’s see what we have:

Any other ideas? Am I missing something?

White Rabbit Graded Readers (digital version). There is a physical one too, but expensive (and not the same stories)

Ah thanks!
I’ll check out that thread and lurk there a bit :slight_smile:

There’s another children book series along the lines of なぜ?どうして? and 10分で読める. The series is called 知ってびっくり.
Some time ago I bought this book from the series which contains stories about kanji and looks quite interesting, but I haven’t try reading it yet. There are other books covering different topics, such as stories about words, proverbs, languages, Japan history, world mysteries, etc.

1 Like

The one about Mysteries of the world looks interesting! What level are these?

2 Likes

The grade is not explicitly written anywhere. Here is the screenshot of the beginning of the book about kanji though.

Summary

and dont forget this series https://shop.whiterabbitjapan.com/collections/japanese-reading-material/products/stories-you-can-read-smoothly-ikki-ni-yomeru-1st-grade

they are nicely illustrated by Yoshiyuki Momose whos an animator at studio ghibli
But in the review it says, it’s not so easy for beginners.

1 Like

Thank you so much for opening the discussion thread, @emucat!

I would have suggested to just go with another naze doushite book (or similar series) but the fairy tales seem interesting as well. I love fairy tales! But yeah, maybe it’s too expensive for the whole set? Maybe there are single ones available or other sets at a cheaper price point…?
When I had the amazon kindle app on my phone a while ago, I think they offered a set of Japanese fairy tales for free…? But it was not in Japanese but my mother tongue and even if they have it in Japanese, I don’t know about the level. I will try to look for it, though.

Thanks for the link!

I am now busily searching for a single volume collection of Japanese folk/fairytales for children for 2000 yen or less…

These look promising:

2 Likes