Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

What about another naze doushite book? There are at least two more second year books and if people think it’s appropriate for the ABJBC, then maybe a third year book?

second year:
なぜ?どうして? 科学のお話2年生
なぜ?どうして? もっと 科学のお話 2年生
なぜ?どうして? みぢかなぎもん二年生

third year:
なぜ? どうして? もっと 科学のお話 3年生
なぜ?どうして? 身近なぎもん3年生
なぜ?どうして? 科学のお話3年生

1 Like

Yes. I think I’ll add “naze” 2nd grader and “naze” 3rd grader to the the poll, and then we can decide later.

The same for the 10 minute stories…

That’s 7 options so far. And the reader graders are also there

2 Likes

Right, we need to add the gratef readers, too :slight_smile: most of them have interesting storys and are possibly more on our actual level. We could try one of those online only readers from the app

How do I know which book club to join (between this one and the regular beginner book club)? I’m sitting between N5 and N4 currently, but my vocab isn’t super great. That said, I’m not opposed to having to look up vocab that I don’t know… Thanks in advance for any help! :smiley:

Your best option is probably to look at some of the sample pages from things we might be reading :blush:

The Beginners’ Book Club just recently voted on what we’ll be reading next (the difficulty does vary from pick to pick). First, we’ll be tackling Girls’ Last Tour. After that, we’re going to be reading Zenitendou, The Mysterious Sweet Shop.

At those links you should be able to find some sample pages. Of course, you can expect to need a dictionary, and you’ll be able to ask people in the club for help with things you don’t understand!

I think if you look in the OP of this thread you’ll also be able to find sample pages from some of the current nominations for the Absolute Beginners’ Club.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the links! Judging by the pages that I’ve seen, I think the Beginner Book Club would be a better fit for me. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

No problem at all! Glad to have helped :grin:

2 Likes

So… tomorrow I’ll create the poll. How long does people usually keep it open?

1 Like

I’m around the same level and the current Beginner book-club book is a little hard but the next one that starts in March seems a lot easier.

2 Likes

I think seanblue usually keeps the ones for the Beginners’ Club open until the voting dries up, which is usually a few days after opening it. Definitely never stays open longer than a week.

1 Like

@emucat - If this thread is the main thread for the ABJBC then it really needs a list of all the books that have already been read at that level. So far there have been:

にゃんにゃん - you don’t yet have a link in the OP to this one
なぜ?どして? - this one you have a link to
Yotsuba - this originated from the original bookclub but then took on a life of its own, and we are about to start vol.7, the ABJBC OP really needs a link to the Yotsuba meta-thread

Like I say, I think the ABJBC is a great idea, so I hope this helps!

1 Like

I didn’t know about that book! I’ll update the thread!

2 Likes

There was also the fairy tales (at least two sets mentioned. One has been formally nominated in the other group but will be moved here (set of 18) , the other was mentioned and linked to on amazon, and has a more painted style) , and the manga Chi’s Sweet home belongs more in this group than the other.

And there are three kinds of graded readers (two brands, one ( にほんご多読ブックス) physical only, one (white rabbit) has physical and digital but no story are both places)

I can make proper nominations tomorrow (it is very late), but Chi and the set of 18 fairytales has proper ones on the other group at least (will re do them here anyway, as we’ll get a different score on the voting most likely)

But please hold of on voting for next until I get them ready. Will have all the ones mentioned formally nominated tomorrow =)

2 Likes

@emucat, you might want to keep control of the editing rights, but if you make the OP a wiki then other people might be able to help with adding nominations and things like that ^^

Thanks you very much!

I’ll do that! I’m not expecting to be managing the group, I only wanted to start the discussion

Yeah, I remember you saying when you started the thread - I figure enabling the wiki will encourage others to get involved from the start :blush:

Done! I think…

I can see the edit button, so done! =D

Looks good to me!

I think you have to have a certain Trust Level to be able to edit wikis, so not everyone will be able, but some people should be able to help out now. I can’t remember whether Member is enough or whether you have to be a Regular :thinking:

1 Like