Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Oh man I remember that web serieses being one of the only ‘fun’ websites unblocked purposefully for us to read in Year 7 when they tried having all websites blocked except for chosen ones.

I never read it though, but it’s gives me weird nostalgia.

1 Like

Before we vote on a book, maybe we should vote on how to proceed with the club? Like a) separate clubs for fiction and non fiction as I suggested yesterday, b) no manga allowed as a few people have suggested, or c) continue as previous.
It’s all well and good having all our various thoughts discussed, but it would be even better to come to some majority-rules agreement going forward.

Isn’t the problem that it’s already majority-rules? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

d) alternate between manga and non-manga

e) everyone votes on the next book and we do that, but also leave people free to start a thread for a new book if they wish

3 Likes

Yeah, that would probably be part of ‘continue as previous’ since people have made spin off groups before for a new book, it’s not like the only ‘bookclubs’ are the main home threads.

Maybe also manga, non-manga, and non-fiction, because I believe some people still would like to differentiate between non-fiction non-manga and fiction non-manga.

Well, yeah, but having a poll would have the popularity of each option a little clearer as some people have said “I would like X but Y is fine too”. This would just be a single answer poll instead of a multi answer.

1 Like

Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…

Winston S Churchill, 11 November 1947

And what about non-fiction manga? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I only know of one and it’s pretty ecchi, but yeah, sure non-fiction manga too.

2 Likes

:thinking: Is that not the case now?

2 Likes

Ah! You beat me to it. :joy:

So it is, and it gets my vote! :+1:

Yeah that’s what I meant by option c.

1 Like

Great! :+1:

Sabishisugite, or Doushi Renaichuu? I mean, what? :eyes:

1 Like

fufufu.

Anyway, so I might set up the poll for how to proceed unless anybody has any objections?
The options being
A) Separate clubs for fiction and non fiction books
B) No manga allowed
C) Continue as before with everyone voting on a book and people being free to start their own spin-off clubs
D) Alternate between manga and non-manga titles

Any other option ideas?

3 Likes

E) Only manga allowed.

Seems only logical. :wink:

5 Likes

iguess

3 Likes

How should the book club proceed?

• Separate AB clubs for fiction and non fiction books
  • No manga allowed
  • Only manga allowed
  • Continue as before
  • Alternate between manga and non-manga

0 voters

AB = Absolute beginner

1 Like

I was torn between making the joke by voting for only manga and voting properly, but then I realized I just skip things if they’re not manga, so joke’s on me. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll change it to continue as before if that needs votes later.

You know, @marcusp You could’ve fooled me. :stuck_out_tongue: Why are you voting for that if you don’t want manga? :thinking:

3 Likes

I was just wondering that myself. I guess they’re keen on the possibility of just having a spin off club I guess?

Who said I don’t want manga?! I love manga. I love reading Yotsuba and I try to read other manga too from time to time. It is my aim and my dream to be able to read manga.

I didn’t think Shirokuma was appropriate for the ABBC because the vocab was way too difficult, and I also think Chi’s non-standard Japanese is a problem for the ABBC - though I can now see that it’s not a big deal if you ignore it - but I’m certainly not against manga!

If the good people of the ABBC vote for manga-only, that would be just fine by me! Like I’ve said dozens of times, anyone can put up a thread at any time… if I want to read another なぜどして or something like that, it’s up to me to just set it up.

ie - carry on as before!

5 Likes