Greetings from the airport everyone! Layovers are no fun, but at least they offer a good opportunity for getting some things done!
I’m posting the call for nominations a couple days earlier than I initially intended, mostly because I don’t know how busy I’ll get over the weekend, and I’d rather be early than late!
If my current count is correct, I believe we currently have 11 out of 20 possible nomination slots filled, meaning we still have room for up to 9 more nominations!
If you have a book or a manga in mind that you think would be a good fit for the club, please nominate it! The more variety we have to choose from, the better, I think!
Just as a reminder, when nominating, please keep in mind the guidelines on proposing books:
Nominate something you are ready to read
- This is a big cooperative group, but there’s always a minority keeping things active. If your pick wins, there will be some expectation that you contribute throughout.
- If you can’t read your own sample pages (at least mostly) you may not be able to judge the difficulty effectively, and won’t be able to help others much.
Books nominated must not be longer than 100 pages (of text)
- Our reading pace means this is the longest we could tackle within a reasonable time-frame.
- A book of short stories can be longer: we will only pick select stories.
Do not nominate anything clearly NSFW
- This can be hard to judge without reading the book, but if you’d associate the work with fanservice or gore, even if just by reputation, please don’t suggest it for this group.
- Furigana does not imply something is easy
A couple of quick notes about these guidelines:
- While it is preferred that if you nominate a book, you run the thread for it, it is not strictly necessary. In the event that you can’t run the thread, please just state as such in the nomination post, and I will happily find a volunteer who would be willing to run it if the nomination should be selected. But! I assure you that running the threads really isn’t that difficult, nor too much of a time commitment, and if you have any questions, there is a very supportive community here who will be happy to help you figure everything out!
- Regarding the page count, with manga, if the page count is technically over 100 pages, I wouldn’t stress too much about it, so long as we can reasonably schedule it to fit within the average timeframe for finishing up a book club. That length restriction applies more firmly to books, simply because there’s a lot more text in prose than comics! As an example, one of the previous manga selected for this club was からかい上手の高木さん, which technically has a page count of ~155 (counting the おまけ); however, because many of those pages are just images, and the dialogue is relatively light, it was still simple to make it work with the scheduling and not overwhelm new readers! So, don’t hesitate to nominate manga that technically break the page count, within reason!
Also, please make sure your nomination post utilizes the template posted in the OP of this thread! This template is in the dropdown labeled: “Proposal Template” below the Proposed Books section. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to ask, and someone here will be happy to help!
With that in mind, this post is just to give everyone a little reminder to get any nominations they may have posted soon!
I will be posting the poll with all the current nominations on the 8th of July, to give everyone about a week to vote (since we want the poll to be completed by the 15th) for what they would like to read. If you would like your nomination to make it into that poll, please do your best to have it in by ~2 days before that (6th of July).
This will give everyone time to vote in the difficulty poll for the nomination, so that I have a number to assign to it for the final poll. If you don’t make the deadline, that’s okay, we will still consider the nomination, it will just likely get pushed to the next round! (See: my own nomination, which I posted far too late for the most recent nomination polls, but which will be in this round! )