Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

I just got shirokuma cafe and chis sweet home, expected delivery mid February :slight_smile:

I only bought shirokuma :slight_smile: If we do chi next time I’ll buy it then

1 Like

Weeell, they’re tied right now. So, I wanted to be prepared

Ohhh, we’ll be reading both of them? That’s cool, I tried to read Chi a long time ago, but couldn’t because of the all baby talk!:3 I’ll be reading both of the mangas with you then:)

2 Likes

I’m not sure if we are, as Emu said he closed the poll when Shirokuma was ahead, @emucat can you confirm? If so I will order Chi too in preperation

2 Likes

I voted for Shirokuma in the beginner club, so I’m still super glad:D
I think it’s just logical to pick the 2nd place too, so that people could buy it in advance and, well, so that no one has to wait and do another poll:)

4 Likes

I closed the poll when I was at the bookstore.
They were both tied… so I bought the cheapest one, in this case しろくまカフェ

We can decide if we want to read Chi’s sweet home after that. As I said しろくまカフェ has 28 short chapters… I think we could do 2 chapters per week, witch would be 14 weeks (around 2 months)

2 Likes

More like 3 months :slight_smile: I think 2 a week is good starting point, I’d be worried if they are SO short though that people may be eager to progress and not spend 3 months on it, so perhaps we should leave scope to up intensity maybe on the 2/3 week

that would take us to

2+2+2+3+3+3+3+3+3+3+3 = 11 weeks

or

2+2+2+4+4+4+4+4+4 = 9 weeks

Depending on how far/if they want to up the pace :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like something like that.

Also if it’s to short, we almost have to start the process again to select a new book. Unless we decide on Chi’s sweet home or a book for the next one

1 Like

I want to try and read along with this as I have a few books I bought from Tokyo last year which I have been struggling with! Sorry… Has anyone linked the best place to buy the book yet?

Thanks

1 Like

I would like to join in on this. Does anyone have an ISBN so I can check I’m buying the right version please?

1 Like

[9784087828238]

2 Likes

I have just purchased the book, and am glad to delurk to join the upcoming book club!

2 Likes

People would probably appreciate knowing now whether the plan is to read Chi’s Sweet Home afterwards (or the ten-minute stories?) or to run another poll. That way they can either combine postage or they know to hold off as Chi’s Sweet Home might not win next time.

3 Likes

Next week I’ll be in SF so gonna see if I can pick up this book then! I’ve also added Chi’s Sweet Home to my list. Should I add anything else?! Looking to stock up my library :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you. Just ordered it.

1 Like

I agree!! I’ll make a poll ASAP to see the pace, and then see what we want to read next

2 Likes

Ooooooooooh!!! :heart_eyes:

I never took part in the book clubs (although I absolutely like the idea, it is more of a time commitment problem with all the other Japanese related stuff I want to keep up with; I bought にゃんにゃん and only opened it once; as soon as something is on paper I find it hard to make a habit out of it) but since reading the 7 volumes of しろくまカフェ that I bought is one of my few reading related goals I’m very tempted to join this round. I’m excited :slight_smile:

I also have the “Flower Comics Special” edition (Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Miss Shikimori is not just cute! - #220 by Abstormal ) since I liked the look more but I hope the content is the same. Had to go to 3 different book shops and ask for them in my bad Japanese to get the complete set, that was a fun day. I hope I’ll finally get to actually reading them.

3 Likes

when would shirokuma cafe reading start?

1 Like

Check the third post. There is a poll

1 Like