Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Hey all, I thought I’d do some shameless cross-advertising in this channel :grin:

小川未明童話集・Ogawa Mimei: Collection of Children’s Stories

It is a book (not a manga) which consists of a lot of short children’s stories (of which we will read a select handful). The author is pretty famous, and the stories are rather old (I think the first ones are about 100 years old) but the Japanese has been modernized so there shouldn’t be a problem. (Also, I’m trying to read ahead to be able to pick out and explain unusual grammar up-front, but I can’t promise that I will be able to do that each week…)

We’ll start off with a very short story (5 pages only) and slowly increase our stamina by moving to longer stories (up to ~10 pages per week). I read the first story and I found it pretty comparable difficulty-wise to the 10-Minute-Biographies book that you read here a while ago. So if you were able to get along ok-ish with that book and you would like to slowly migrate to more Beginner Book Club material (or if you are adventurous and just want to hop in without prior book reading experience), then maybe this is your chance!

You can even try it out without any financial investment as all the stories are available for free on Aozora as well. The links are in the book club home thread that I linked above. I’m looking forward to seeing you in the club :slight_smile:

19 Likes