Absolute Beginners Book Club // Currently reading Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea; Next: Mitsuboshi Colours

All of those are hard to put a specific limit on. Especially when doing native material.
Any native material, even meant for children, will include grammar from every level, since they naturally know it. We can’t pin point it any more than “absolute beginner of reading native material”.

Minimum needed to join is also hard to say, since people use different methods and sources to learn.
All we can do is provide example pages and let people try it for themselves.

2 Likes

If you only choose books/manga with furigana the number of kanji doesn’t matter.

Also, maybe it’s not in the right place, but the Master List of Book Clubs mentions this club being N5, Beginner Book Club being N4, and Intermediate Book Club being N3. But as @Toyger said, it’s really hard to define more specifically.

That’s what averages are for… If a book has a 2.5/5 and another has 3.5/5, you should be able to say with some confidence that the first is easier.

4 Likes

Looks at ハルヒ’s score :eyes:

2 Likes

Shh! That’s because people didn’t actually read the sample. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hello, I’d like to join the book club.

Can someone please tell me how do I join?

I had joined one before and failed to keep up so I’ll try to join this one, the other one has a discord server where people read/discusses the story, is this one the same?

Easy:

1. Buy the book.
  2. Read the book.
  3. (Optional, but extremely preferable) Post questions, thoughts or other comments in the book’s thread.
10 Likes

Yes, I definitely think one page per day. This is the Absolute Beginners Bookclub after all. There’s no problem doing another book at the same time for those who don’t like the book / pace.

3 Likes

I was excited to join this group because I thought it was for people who were absolute beginners at reading. Can you confirm the part about the club being only for native material? i.e. for people who can already read?

I’d say that the minimum requirement would be the ability to read hiragana. When I started reading with a bookclub here two years ago I had little more than that. Of course, the more grammar you have, the easier things will be, but this is also a place to learn that. Kanji knowledge is actually not required because any book in the ABBC will have furigana. So, yes, I’d say this club is for people who are absolute beginners wanting to read native material.

3 Likes

Oh hey I just realised I already actually own 10分で読める物語 二年生.
Or re-remembered, because I think I said the same thing during the last poll.
I’ll probably join if it wins, considering I already accidentally finished 結婚しても恋してる.
Though I’m not exactly keen on it, it’ll at least stop me from reading ahead.

1 Like

Out of honest curiosity, what would you suggest we read aside from native material? Textbooks?

3 Likes

Nooooooooooo!:face_vomiting: Aaaargghh! :woozy_face:
I couldn’t think of anything worse! :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Graded readers?

I was wondering the same thing though…

1 Like

Some textbooks are just reading, with some questions on the side to make sure you understood it all.

Not really fair to generalize all textbooks as bad. :blush:

2 Likes

How about other works written in Japanese? Aesop 's fables might be familiar enough to an absolutely new reader to serve as a bridge in the translation process.

Weeelll. By pure coincidence, my own nomination to this very book club just so happens to have Aesop’s Fables in Japanese. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tragically, it’s not doing so great in the current poll…

5 Likes

Wait wait wait, so we giving up on Chi after volume 1?! D:

? :slight_smile:

That’s how it works with the Book Club, can’t really read just one series for a whole year (or even more).

Although, if enough people want to continue reading it, then it usually branches out as its own thing. :wink:

5 Likes

It’s my first rodeo, didn’t realise that’s how we do things in these here parts. D:

3 Likes

As Kazzeon said, we will read the first volume and then, if there’s enough people interested, a second volume ‘spin off’ thread will start, this has happened with Girl’s Last Tour as well as some of the older club titles.
So the clubs are sort of like a tester, you read a volume, if you don’t like it, you’re not forced to continue with the club.
Also, it means that new people can join the club when a new book is selected, if they had to start at volume 2 or 3 or whatever, they might feel discouraged.

You can probably ask for interest in the home thread for Chi or in one of the weekly threads to see if anybody else wants to continue.

I’ll gladdy join a Chi’s vol 2 because I have a problem buying and reading kindle books.

2 Likes