Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

I just order the physical copy from Amazon Japan, they had it in stocks.

The home thread for Wadanohara is up!

3 Likes

I will keep the poll open till 6PM GMT+2!

@bearytoast we’re gonna start それでも歩は寄せてくる on July 10th, if you want to update your thread and schedule!

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know!!

1 Like

The upcoming book starting in July, “When Will Ayumu Make His Move” (それでも歩は寄せてくる) is currently available for FREE on Bookwalker:

7 Likes

And usually if it’s free on Bookwalker, it’s free on Amazon too :grin:

Just noticed the people in the home thread already figured that out, hehe.

3 Likes

Oops! I am realizing belatedly that I should have dropped the notice about the Off-Shoot Takagi-san club in this thread as well, but for anyone who is interested, we are starting Volume 2 on July 24th!

Teasing Master Takagi-san :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ・ Off-Shoot Book Club Home Thread • Starting Volume 2 July 24th! - Japanese Language / Reading - WaniKani Community

7 Likes

Could someone who is a regular update the thread title so it says we are currently reading Ayumu please?

4 Likes

It’s been changed :grin:

5 Likes

ハピネス

Summary

Makoto Okazaki is your run of the mill high-schooler, a perfect bullying target. One night, on his way to return a DVD to a friend, he notices a person on a nearby rooftop. The person lunges at him and bites his neck, drinking his blood. The attacker, a beautiful girl, then asks him: “Do you want to die or become like me?” He decides to live…

Availability

Personal Opinion

I think it is around if not easier than からかい上手の高木さん

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

It is a cool story. It has Vampires. No walls of text. Good art.

Cons

It only has 50 chapters (10 volumes).
It is not a fluffy story.

Pictures

First three pages with talking

Additional Pages

p020

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)

0 voters

6 Likes

Hello! is there a discord for this book club?

1 Like

Some book clubs utilize an unofficial (not maintained by WaniKani) Discord channel. However, for the main book clubs, we aim to keep all discussion in the forum threads. This makes it easier for future readers of previous book picks to find and read through discussion material.

10 Likes

ah :frowning: thanks for telling…

1 Like

Hey all, I thought I’d do some shameless cross-advertising in this channel :grin:

小川未明童話集・Ogawa Mimei: Collection of Children’s Stories

It is a book (not a manga) which consists of a lot of short children’s stories (of which we will read a select handful). The author is pretty famous, and the stories are rather old (I think the first ones are about 100 years old) but the Japanese has been modernized so there shouldn’t be a problem. (Also, I’m trying to read ahead to be able to pick out and explain unusual grammar up-front, but I can’t promise that I will be able to do that each week…)

We’ll start off with a very short story (5 pages only) and slowly increase our stamina by moving to longer stories (up to ~10 pages per week). I read the first story and I found it pretty comparable difficulty-wise to the 10-Minute-Biographies book that you read here a while ago. So if you were able to get along ok-ish with that book and you would like to slowly migrate to more Beginner Book Club material (or if you are adventurous and just want to hop in without prior book reading experience), then maybe this is your chance!

You can even try it out without any financial investment as all the stories are available for free on Aozora as well. The links are in the book club home thread that I linked above. I’m looking forward to seeing you in the club :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Oh my god I totally forgot to mention that this is the next Beginner Book Club pick and we will start reading it on Saturday :joy_cat: :woman_facepalming: :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Could someone change the thread title to reflect we are now reading Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea please?

3 Likes

Done!
I hope I assumed correctly that “please” is not part of the title :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Doing posting also here in case someone missed it (ノ´ з `)ノ

The offshoot club for それでも歩は寄せてくる is gonna start from next Saturday! Come and say hi, we have cookies! (◕‿◕):heart:

8 Likes

The next ABBC book will be due to start on Nov 13th. So it’s nearly that time to vote on choices again. If anyone has any other nominations now is a good time to make them.

9 Likes