some time ago, I’ve nominated a book in the Beginner Book Club, but it doesn’t seem to be very popular there, plus it is really easy, and so I figured that maybe you guys would be interested in reading it here? (Note: I won’t be running the book here if it gets picked, but I’m sure you will find somebody who can take over.)
こぐまのクーク物語 春と夏 - Kuuku the Bear Cub’s Story, Spring and Summer
Summary (Japanese from Amazon, English is my own translation)
Kuuku and his animal friends grow up among lush nature. Kukki’s parents run a restaurant called “Forest’s Kitchen” where they prepare delicious meals. 8 emotionally moving stories. Recipes are included.
I have not read the book yet, but I noticed it on FloFlo because it has very few different words. It seems to be a cute children’s story. From peeking into it, I like the artwork as well.
Pros and Cons for the Book Club
- Vocab list on FloFlo
- Only 1230 different words according to FloFlo
- It’s actually a book for very small children, so the language is easy, and the sentences are short.
- 8 stories that are each 20 pages or less, and each page contains very little text only (see screenshots).
- It seems to be a series, so we can continue with the next book(s) if people are interested.
- Don’t rely too much on FloFlo’s word list as it may have misparses, e.g. it did not seem to be able to parse こぐま (bear cub)
- As expected for a children’s book, there are not too many kanji.
- The story is probably not too deep
How much effort would you need to read this book?
- No effort at all
- Minimal effort
- Just right
- Impossible, even with everyone’s help
- I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)