Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Any decision on the follow-up book yet?

If we go by the vote, 60% say Chi. And I still think being a completely tied vote in the first place it shouldn’t even be a question. We could have made a new vote on the two tied entries, but since we didn’t it makes no sense to even consider not doing Chi.

2 Likes

Where do I buy Japanese Manga in the UK without having to buy complete sets?! :open_mouth: I don’t wanna buy 50万volumes of chi from Amazon, just want to buy them as and when I need them :cry:

You can buy just the first volume from CDJapan, but if you’re only buying one thing the shipping will probably be a bit painful. I think it will cost about £9.60 for the one volume, including shipping.

There are a few Japanese bookstores in London at least, but I’ve never visited them and from what I’ve seen you can’t buy from them online (or at least they don’t appear to have any manga in stock online).

Actually, you can also buy just the first volume from Amazon, but it looks more expensive.

1 Like

Poll closed!! It was winning by a lot, so it’ll be it.

March 13th しろくまカフェ then Chi’s sweet home

6 Likes

And I didn’t vote for either! :cry:
But happy to read along! :books::books::books:

3 Likes

Hi - I just got all five volumes of this shipped on ebay from Japan! It’s great timing.

Also, does anyone know if Manga book covers are available for this size of manga? My copies are in perfect condition and want to keep it that way. Guess i can check at a jp book shop or maybe there’s an online store that sells the right size? Thanks for any advice maybe others will find it useful.

Also: Hi to the Community it’s my first post :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

This might help:
They are the same size as Naze books, might be easier to find covers for those?

4 Likes

Looking forward to this, and already ordered the first issue from amazon jp. I’m only at level three so I have serious doubts about how well I’ll be able to keep up, but I’ll give it my best!

Oddly, when I looked at the shipping costs for ordering multiple books they didn’t seem to go down as much as I thought when added a second/third book.

3 Likes

Just bought the complete set of the old shirokuma on Amazon (cause let’s face it they’re way cuter!) along with chi v1 :smiley:
Hopefully they’ll be here before march! I can’t cancel the Yesasia order but their delivery was uncertain D: maybe ill give it away it arrives before the club :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally agree there. So much cuter and nicer imo.

3 Likes

I stumbled across this: Free books – にほんごたどく

Free graded readers at lowest levels! We can do them between books, or along side as a side thing (as this is below our picks, and is very leisurely reading :wink: )

19 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the link! :smiley: The よむ is super easy. I could read and understand everything. I finished my first “book”. *wipes away tear*

6 Likes

I love the lvl 0 books, they are great confidence boosts :rofl:

2 Likes

Wow, and there’s even more links to free graded readers by other groups.Thank you so much for this!

2 Likes

Awesome site, thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

Okay, so, funny story! I opened this site (great one, thank you!) and chose the last book in it. I started reading, it was pleasant and kinda easy but the story didn’t make sense, until I stumbled on something like “And mother started feeling better”. And then I realized that I was reading it from the ending. :sweat_smile: My western brain kicked in:DD

8 Likes

I think the same happened to me, but it was because the page starts you on the left end, so I thought that was just how it was. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Got directly the first two! They looked so cute haha looking forward to reading it!

3 Likes

These are great!

1 Like