Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

Bit late to the discussion on which copies, but I have this version of Shirokuma cafe (I own the first two volumes). I also have the 10分二年生 and WANTED out of the nominated books.

1 Like

You know, now that you mention it, I think March 13th would be the ideal time to start the next book, right after the current one! I’ll change my vote on that first poll!

In a few hour I might go to the Japanese bookstore and check what I find.

If I find the one it’s winning at that moment, I’ll close the poll. I’m not kidding :wink:

Also, to start the book, there is a poll at the very beginning of the thead

1 Like

I mean, I know Chi’s Sweet Home has veeeery gradually been catching up, but Shirokuma Cafe has been winning for a solid two days, so I don’t think anyone would be that outraged :stuck_out_tongue:

Can I recommend allowing results to be viewed without voting from now on? Some people like myself are still curious and would like to see the results without skewing the results.

They are tied now. :joy:

1 Like

omg me too it’s been bugging me so much :joy:

Gah! Should have closed the voting earlier today, haha!

1 Like

I’m not sure which rules from the other group we’ll adapt, but if we keep the “if a manga wins, also do second place”, I guess a tie is OK, we’ll just do both =P

emucat should make a decision on it or a poll to see what people want =)

1 Like

I read the preview of Shirokuma Cafe on eBook Japan a couple of days ago and I whizzed through it (admittedly ignoring all the vocab I didn’t know). I couldn’t quite tell how much of the whole thing I was getting from the preview because the contents page was quite confusing, but I don’t think it would take this group nearly as long as a book like なぜ どうして.

I think any manga would be much faster than any book of that size. And Chi would be even faster (they are fairly small even for mangas)

1 Like

It’s done.

The tie kind of killed me… I’ve found both, but Sweet Chi was $15 and the Polar bear $7, so I went with the cheap one

1 Like

So you guys are gonna read both? Exciting!

Ouch. $15 for one volume is painful. You can probably sell it on once you’ve read it? It’s a well-known one.

Well… I think I post it before finishing. I’ve just bought しろくまカフェ

I found Shirokuma new and Chi’s used for a combined $15 on amazon US just so everyone is aware. I tried amazon jp and Yesasia first and they were much more expensive. Be careful not to order the shirokuma sticker book on accident like I almost did!

Now, we have to agree on the day we start. The poll is in the second or third post!!

1 Like

So we’re for sure doing Shirokuma? the poll is still open but it looks like it’s exactly tied between Chi’s.

1 Like

I closed it before. It was tied… so I chose the cheaper one :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

we could always decide to read chi as well at later time, when we see that this one is read quite fast :smile:

the poll for starting date is looking like it should be immediatly after the current one :blush:

what about the pace? one chapter a week?

already ordered mine (already own and have read chi…), but delivery date is unestimated :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

This seems to be the reprint, can you check the table of contents, if anything has changed?

One chapter a week should be ok as a start. We can change that if we see it‘s to fast or to slow for the majority.

There are 28 chapters. Usually around 4 pages each. And it doesn’t have much text.

I would say 2 chapters per week sound better… but I’ll do a poll!!

1 Like

Just ordered my copy off the yesasia link provided above :slight_smile:

Hopefully it’ll get here with the estimate 30 days

1 Like