Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

It’s about $8 or $9 from CDJapan, I reckon. Also… postage is always gonna be brutal :stuck_out_tongue:

Buy some more stuff, makes the shipping somewhat more tolerable per item :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve just bought A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and the Manga for the Beginner Book Club:

Order Summary

Item(s) Subtotal:

¥ 3,386

Shipping & Handling:

¥ 1,300

Total:

¥ 4,686

Grand Total:

¥ 4,686

1 Like

I bought the book for the Beginner Book club and the 8 sets of Graded readers that was mentioned here (the one I didn’t nominate cause I want to look it over first)

Import fee is a lie, books a free to import, I’ll get that money back in about 6 months (for some reason they take that long XD )

These ones: (all 8 sets)

Yes, CDJapan is 919 yen(US$ 8.37) Not sure how long will it take though…

I might check if they have it in NY this weekend for $6.99.

If they have it, and it’s winning at the moment… I’ll close the poll LOL

1 Like

Oh really? I saw that to the US, there was no Fee, but to Spain there was. How do you get your money back?

1 Like

Doesn’t the import fee deposit also include tax though? I know it does where I live, at least.(I also get some money back after a while though, but not all of it)

If it’s from amazon, you just get it back automatically after a while.

Books don’t have any fees here, so I get it all back =P
It’s a mistake for them to take it to begin with, when it’s books they are free of import/tax charge

But if they mark the shipment wrong I’m stuck with the charge, and getting it back is hell so I’m better of giving up.
I have had shipments from eBay not marked as books, but comics. Manga books counts as books, cause they have been published in a different format and then collected as a book (which they specifically say counts as a book). But normal comics do not. So had to pay import tax on the entire Naruto collection cause they called it comics instead of books -_-

They even confirmed the rule was correctly understood, but the seller had to go back to the shipment company and such to get it re-marked, which was just too hard to get done properly.

1 Like

It just comes back automatically one day, usually after 6+ months :rofl:

Unrelated to all this, I see I have 110 Amazon points now… How do I use this? Is it like 110 yens?

You can redeem them at checkout. It’s pretty much just a 110 yen discount on stuff you buy in the future(the points expire after a year if you don’t buy anything though)

So should we remove Shirokuma Cafe and Chi’s Sweet Home from Beginner Book Club?

Because they are already here?

Yes

According to Amazon JP, the old edition has 164 pages, and the new edition has 192 pages.

That might be a problem to follow the discussion… unless we do 1 Chapter per week or something like this

1 Like

Good idea.

Well… I won’t be joining if Shirokuma nor Chi win but just wanted to mention that you can buy those via yesasia, too. Shipping is free for orders over $39.

Shirokuma Cafe 1 (bis)

Chi’s Sweet Home 1

1 Like

I voted! And if Shirokuma or Chi’s sweet home win (which it looks like one will) then I will for sure buy the book and follow along! I’ve never done a japanese book club before, so I’m excited! Even though I’m only level 2 now, I should be further along by the time it starts, and I don’t think I’ll mind looking up words. But when is it going to start? Is there going to be a poll to determine the start date?

2 Likes

I don’t know how they’re going to determine the exact start date, but it won’t be until after the current book finishes I don’t imagine. So no earlier than the 13th of March!

Edit: ah, it’s being decided by vote. I forgot. If you want to vote yourself, you can find the poll in this post.

2 Likes