Absolute Beginners Book Club // Now Reading: Granny Girl Hinata chan!

It’s just teething problems :wink:

2 Likes

yeah I wanted to make the nomination when I came home from work, but the poll was already opened… :sweat_smile:

The second grader is winning right now, so MAYBE if it wins we can ask if people want the 2nd or the 3rd grader

I’d prefer to start as low as possible to be honest. We are ‘absolute beginner’ after all, there’s no shame in that and trying to push ahead will just create the same problem with the beginner club. If it wins theres no reason we can’t move onto 3 when we complete it

2 Likes

I wo der if moving up actually makes any sense? Isn‘t the aim of a absolut beginner clib to stay a absolute beginner club for future absolute beginners? :thinking: choosing more difficult books every time destory the idea behind a leveld club, i think ^^‘ if the books get to easy it‘s either time to step up or create another level in between.

11 Likes

Think the main idea is to get people confident enough in reading to join the regular beginners club. That could possibly mean alternating between absolute beginner books and… um… absolute-beginner-and-a-half books? One to get people started, and one to challenge people. Maybe?

1 Like

Depends what the difference is.

People say there’s not much difference between n5/n4, so if it’s kinda the same deal, I don’t think a single grade would hurt, but yea, climbing any further, I agree would defeat the purpose! :slight_smile:

Though it might just be nice for some variety, people may not want to carry on with the same series

Yeahhh it’s tricky. It’s just because I feel there was a big gap between なぜ?どうして?せかいはふしぎ 2年生 and The Girl who jumped through time

1 Like

Like with the other groups, the difficulty will vary, but not be a direct climb. More a roller coaster within the “comfort zone” :wink:

Both second and third grade would be too easy for the other group, so both belong in here.

3 Likes

:star_struck:
Ready when you are.

2 Likes

As an absolute beginner myself, I would prefer the second grade. But it perhaps depends on what kind of books people here are used to. If last time people did a second grade book, now a 3rd grade book might be better (and afterwards a second grade again).

Although I have my preference for second grade, the main goal is improvement, so a third grade might actually not be bad at all. Stuff being hard isn’t necessarily a reason to not do it.

1 Like

The third grade will have more kanji, which will be a big help (they probably have full furigana still, but less “wall on kana” ) but a bit more vocab and advanced grammar, but probably not by that much. Maybe more text heavy?

But in a sense, the more kanji might make it easier, as we fail to recognize words without the kanji :wink:

3 Likes

ok… if a 2nd grader book wins the poll, we can decide if we do that book as 2nd or 3rd grader, :ok_hand:?

If it wins this time, we can do a quick poll to see if people prefer 2nd or 3rd grade.

Next time both should be included in the main poll if possible =)

I agree. I wanted to add it (as I did for the naze ones), but I simply forgot

1 Like

I’d be keen to read しろくまカフェ. I bought the first two volumes over a year ago and could barely read them without a dictionary, so I’d be interested to read them now.
Though I’m kinda hoping for WANTED, also I accidentally clicked vote before voting for all four titles I wanted to read and I forgot you can’t re vote in polls here :confused:

You can click on Hide results and change your vote

3 Likes

Oh really? Cool thanks!

Done with voting! I’m quite excited to grab a physical/e-formatted book whichever wins the nomination. Might as well buy the previous books read on this club :3

Casted my vote! (I really hope it’s not a manga that wins :see_no_evil:)

And thanks to @emucat and the others for “organizing” the nominations/thread and the poll! When I get more used to the forums, I will help out in the future with editing and stuff :slight_smile: