Current Book: しろくまカフェ
Next Book: チーズスイートホーム - Chi’s Sweet Home
Welcome to our Japanese book club for absolute beginners! In this club, we choose a Japanese book and read it together. We then discuss what we’ve read, whether that’s meaningful discussion on the content, questions about vocabulary and grammar that confuse us, or just motivating each other to keep moving.
Should I Join?
The goal of this Absolute Beginners’ Book Club is to help you practise reading so that in the future you can take the jump to the Beginner Book Club, where more advanced books are being discussed.
With that in mind, anyone is welcome to join in and read along - just grab a copy of the upcoming book and join in the discussion when it starts! Additionally, you can always read previously selected books and get help from the past discussions; feel free to ask new questions too!
Previous Absolute Beginner Club Books
Any book suggestions are welcome, so feel free to nominate something you’d like to read using the template below! The books suggested must be appropriate for beginners though; please read the guidelines before making a nomination.
Guidelines for Proposing Books
Guidelines courtesy of fl0rm (with some tweaks).
Nominate something you are ready to read
- This is a big cooperative group, but there’s always a minority keeping things active. If your pick wins, there will be some expectation that you contribute throughout.
- If you can’t read your own sample pages (at least mostly) you may not be able to judge the difficulty effectively, and won’t be able to help others much.
Books nominated must not be longer than 100 pages (of text)
- Our reading pace means this is the longest we could tackle within a reasonable time-frame.
- A book of short stories can be longer: we will only pick select stories.
Do not nominate anything clearly NSFW
- This can be hard to judge without reading the book, but if you’d associate the work with fanservice or gore, even if just by reputation, please don’t suggest it for this group.
Furigana does not imply something is easy
Copy this template into a new post when proposing a book/manga.
For page samples, you can either take photos of your own copy (try to make the three additional pages ‘representative’ if possible), grab photos from the internet, or use previews from e.g. Amazon, BookWalker, EBookJapan. Make sure the text is legible!
# Insert Title Here
Insert summary from Amazon/Wikipedia/MyAnimeList/wherever here.
Insert link to book on amazon.co.jp here.
Insert link(s) to eBook(s) here, or mention if an eBook is not available.
## Personal Opinion
Insert why you think this book would be good to read, personally and for the book club here.
### Pros and Cons for the Book Club
* Insert pros here.
* Insert cons here.
[details=“First Three Pages of Chapter One”]
Insert images here (can be photos from you or the internet, or from ebook previews).
Insert a few more images here - try to make them representative.
List of Proposed Books
レベル別日本語多読ライブラリ - Ask Publishing Graded Readers - Level 0 Vol. 1
White Rabbit Graded Readers
日本昔ばなしアニメ絵本 18冊全巻セット - Japanese Fairy Tales - Set of 18 books
Lucky Princess Fairy Tale Collection 福娘童話集
WANTED - Short stories from the creator of One Piece
Where to Purchase Books
This section explains where to buy Japanese books in general. Please see each book’s thread for where to buy those specific books.
Purchasing Japanese Books
- Amazon JP (Kindle-compatible)
- EBook Japan (doesn’t show tax until checkout; not Kindle-compatible)
- Book Walker (accepts paypal)
- Honto (mobile reader app is region-locked – on Android get an APK, on iOS use JP App Store; not Kindle-compatible)
If purchasing eBooks from Amazon JP gives you trouble, check out sirvorn’s wonderful guide on purchasing eBooks from Amazon JP.
If you live in the right place, you may also be able to find the book at a local Japanese book store. For example, Kinokuniya.