About the meaning of 動く

Hey there! I just studied this word, nothing fancy or special about it. However I found one thing weird.

This is an intransistive word, meaning something moves on it’s own. It’s not me who does the moving to something, that would be 動かす, right?

So when I entered the meaning of this word as “something moves” it was wrong. However, all of the intranstitive verbs I have encountered so far had no issues when I input the reading as “something xxxs”

Even the context sentences in that lesson say:
あそこで何か動いたよ。
Something moved over there

I of course manually added that meaning as a synonym, but I still wonder if I have overlooked something, or if this is just an oversight from WaniKani itself?

動く does mean something moves, right?

1 Like

Yes, it does. When in doubt, you report it from the app directly to create an email chain and get the WaniKani staff notified. On the forums you can mention the mods with @Mods .

2 Likes

I checked quickly some of the typical intransitive verb like 下がる、上がる、広がる、 曲がる、 止まる、回る and none of them has an alternative meaning as “something xxxs”, but we can still input them?

4 Likes

I use WaniKani only on PC, I don’t think there is an option to report something directly there, or if there is, then I haven’t seen it yet.

Yes, they don’t specifically have the alternative meaning “something xxxs” but until now I never had any issues when I entered “something stops” for example, it was always considered correct. That’s why I wonder about this one.

Keep in mind that the “something” here is literally 何か in the sentence. As long as you know that “something” in your definition can be any specific thing in place of “something” then it’s probably fine.

I imagine one reason WaniKani doesn’t include anything like the definition you added is simply because they start all their verb definitions with “to”, and you can’t have “to something moves”. :laughing:

3 Likes

Because it means the subject marked with が moves. You could be the one moving, which it’s why it would be weird to say the verb is “something moves”.

1 Like

There’s a chat option you can access from most screens, or on the info pages you can click contact at the bottom.

All verbs in the WaniKani system have a quirk where you have to enter them in the infinitive. In this case it’s “to move”. While “something moves” might technically be a correct translation depending on the context, what WaniKani expects from you is the “to …” form of the verb, not it conjugated in the present tense with “something” as a subject.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.