Ability to Add "Kanji" Readings or Allow Kun’yomi

My suggestion is to be able to add/accept Kun’yomi readings to the kanji when answering. When by themselves it seems to me like they almost always take on the form of Kun’yomi. Yes, i understand that when used with other things they take on On’yomi, but I frankly don’t care (I can learn that reading then). If that symbol by itself is pronounced using Kun’yomi, then when that symbol pops up by itself then I should be able to answer in Kun’yomi.

Instead, currently I get an annoying message when I use Kun’yomi to use On’yomi. Which I’ve usually forgot because I have no need for it at the time.

The point of the kanji lessons is that they teach the most common readings. When they come up as vocab items, you’ll be expected to give the reading that’s used when you see it written down in the wild, but as a kanji, you’re just learning how to read the kanji.

3 Likes

I know the explanation of why they do it like that (but that does not work for me). I would like the option to have the reading marked right if I give the vocab (single kanji) reading of the kanji. Just as we are given the option to add synonyms for items. (Which I currently go back and correct all mismatched radicals/kanji).

So you want to skip learning the kanji and only learn vocab? Why not skip vocab too, and only learn sentences?

2 Likes

Way to oversimplify. Didn’t say skip the kanji, just want the option to write it as it’s read as solo vocab. (Different people learn different ways.)

You don’t have to be like that.

5 Likes

Speaking of バットマン, sounds like someone is in a “fowl” mood. Be nice to the new people.

1 Like

Fowl are birds, bats are mammals. Your puns skills could use some work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So you want to learn もと for 本, rather than ほん.
And あま for 天, rather than てん.
And… Nothing for 王.
Et cetera

Joking aside, this is one of the central points of the site. So it’s not likely they’ll make this possible.

2 Likes

No.

本 is ほん for both the kanji and the vocab. The same goes for 天, which is てん in both cases.

What I am simply asking is that if for a single kanji appears I should be able to give either reading
Ex1: 七 . Only right answer (しち). However I only ever hear (なな). So why shouldn’t this be accepted?
Ex2: 子. When by itself it’s こ, not すor し. If i talk about a kid/child it’s going to be こ.

These are just a few examples, but I am starting to run into things like this left and right. Basically I get to the vocab (which is the only thing actually used in talk) and then I get a quiz for the kanji and get marked wrong because of the incorrect form. >.>

Edit: I have meetings in Japanese every day (why I’m starting to learn), and yeah 7 is always なな.

But you are effectively asking to skip the kanji if you want to always be quizzed on the vocab reading.

1 Like

But you’re usually not marked wrong when providing the vocab answer, simply told to use the other reading. I think this helps to sort of force you to use multiple readings. That way, when you see that kanji in a new word for the first time, you’re better equipped to try to sound it out. That kind of preparation has been priceless for me. I think what you’re suggesting sidesteps this benefit.

2 Likes

You are not marked wrong for using other readings in the lessons and reviews.

Okay, I’ll take your word for it and erase しち from my memory. I’m sure that won’t be an issue. :wink:

2 Likes

七 = nana
月 = tsuki

七月 = nanatsuki

Japanese is easy

6 Likes

ahuiahiuahiuahi q maldade

I understand your frustration. Wanikani’s method does start to make a lot of sense after some time. I also understand that most people responding to your comment have put a lot of time into using Wanikani, and whenever you’ve invested a lot in something, you want to tell yourself that the thing you’ve invested in is right. So, there’s that.

But, stick with it. It will make more sense.

let’s meet on なながつななにち at ななじ behind the gym.
don’t forget to bring the ばなな

Yeah, thanks for either the sarcastic or just rude replies. I completely understand that when kanji combines that they take on different pronunciations. That missed the point of my post completely and saying that 7 is always なな. 7=7, not 7 = 7months (しちがつ), 7days(七日)。。。; but 7=7.

The main point I was saying is that when used by itself as a word I should not be counted wrong if I prefer to use the main reading of that kanji when used by itself. Combining to form different words is completely irrelevant as I know they can change (shichigatsu, nanoka…).

By any means, it shouldn’t be that difficult to add for those that learn better at one:one memorization. There is already a similar function to add synonyms in place. (Ex: me changing “raptor cage” to “long time” as raptor cage is completely irrelevant to me. If someone learns better memorizing raptor cage, great! But I enjoy having the option to add in an answer that is a match to the kanji/vocab that it matches.) This is the exact same thing but with readings. I and others may learn better with a different (correct) reading. Other people may function better with the current system (also correct). All I’m saying/asking is for an option to change it to better suit the individuals learning style.

1 Like

I’m sorry you got some rude replies :confused:
Let me try to help~
So what I’m gathering is that your main issue is that you want to be able to enter any reading when typing kanji and have it marked as correct, right?
The main purpose of Wanikani is to teach kanji. Vocab is not the main focus. They want you to be able to read kanji as fast and efficiently as possible. Because of this, they usually have you enter the most common meaning.
I can’t say exactly why they don’t accept other meanings, but I think it would just be best to learn both ^^ After all, to learn Japanese you’ll need to know both anyway. You’ll learn the words after you finish the kanji, so you’ll know both eventually.
If you are typing a meaning that is a correct meaning for the kanji, it shouldn’t me marked as incorrect. instead, it should wiggle and tell you that’s not the answer they’re looking for.
I guess that all I can say, sorry :sweat_smile: Feel free to ask more questions if you want!

3 Likes

When you learn the hiragana character は, you learn it as “ha,” right? Even though the topic particle は is pronounced “wa,” and that’s the most common usage of the character that you’ll see, that’s still the exception to the rule and therefore not what you’re taught.

The only way the system can know if you’re learning the most useful reading (for guessing words you don’t know yet) is if you answer with that reading, there’s not really any way around that. Unfortunately they are unlikely to make the system more flexible.

Edit: that had a big typo :sweat_smile:

1 Like