A thread for people who've reset their level to 1

how is it going for everyone so far?

Great! I reset from level 12 after i stopped doing my reviews for a couple months. I started using scripts this time around, and they’re amazing. I don’t know what i was thinking doing WK without them. Hopefully i can keep my pace up, when i get back to new things :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Whoops just saw this, thanks!

1 Like

I reset from 50. I was one of the first poeple to make it to 50 when wanikani was in alpha, but for certain reasons I abruptly stopped learning japanese. 3 years later I’ve gotten back into it and just felt like resetting it. Grammar wise I’ve pretty much gotten back up to speed to where I was in 2 weeks or so. Vocab definitely needs work though.

1 Like

Let’s give this another shot

1 Like

Hey NatCho,

Back in April, I resent from Level 17 to Level 1! You are not alone. I was only away for a year and felt overwhelmed by the content at that level. I had many burned turtles and they are all gone… sadly. However, catching up again is going well and its given me a new sense of accomplishment. Since April 12, I’m just about getting to Level 7 and I still recall about 80% of my enlightened and burned items! I expect to get back to level 17 by year end! Good luck to you other resetters.

1 Like

Hey Nedeli, you sound like me! I’ve been learning Japanese for so long, I’ve forgotten more than I’ve learned. After resetting from level 17, I’m finding my motixmvatiin again and a lot of the example sentences are clearer as well! Good luck!

1 Like

Reset from 32. Stopped using WaniKani for about a year or so. I felt overwhelmed with reviews. I was spending 4 hours a day on wanikani, but my review scores kept getting worse and worse. Eventually landing me in the 40% range. I felt I wasn’t learning anything. I didn’t know my burned items at all. The mnemonics weren’t working for me and I wasn’t clever enough to come up with them myself. I am using Kodansha Learner’s Course which seem to have good mnemonics. That and Kanji Damage together seem to be much better from what I can tell.

Even though I started back up, I can tell it sorta feels like I wasn’t ready for WaniKani back then. I forgot stuff, but actually, for some weird reason, remembering something like “oh yea, i remember that!” has actually reinforced it more.

I want to go at a much slower pace now. 1 level per month, which is probably doable in 5 years. This is fine because wanikani isn’t my primary study tool. It’s just supplementary.

So my current study tools are:
JALUP: Grammar + vocab + sentences
BunPro: Grammar
Kodansha (KLC) + Kanji Damage: Kanji + mnemonics + stories
WaniKani / KaniWani: vocab + kanji reinforcement
Kanji Study (android app): Writing Kanji + meaning reinforcement. (Used with KLC)
Japanese Quest: Twitch/YouTube - AdHoc course of a Japanese teacher playing video games and explaining stuff.
If necessary tae kim and other misc things like Genki when I need them.

4 Likes

Since this thread is still alive… I has returned! =P

I once reset from 20 to 1 after pushing too hard.

Now, last December, I was back to level 21. I got very sick, so sick I didn’t have the concentration needed. But I was hooked on leveling so I kept doing the radicals and kanji only, thinking the bug was just temporary… it was not… I was bed ridden for over a month, and took me several months to get back in shape again. It was some kind of virus.
But all that time I kept leveling. First with the intent on catching up, but after a while I decided my review pile is too hard, lets just reset again. The more time went by, the further I felt like reseting. After some time I decided to go all the way back to level 1 when ready, so lets just play around with the joke script “never wrong” untill ready :wink:

I went up to level 42, then I purposefully stopped there for over a month. I reset back to level 1 in summer, when I finally felt up to the task =)
If I fall ill again I will simply continue doing reviews, but not level up. Vacation mode screws up the review interval, so I’ll just do the reviews, they trincle out to something very little after apprentice is empty =)

Here’s hoping this will be the one! Third time is the charmed, right?! :wink:

9 Likes

I think that you will make it this time.
But, if not, that it all right too. :slight_smile:

I didn’t reset, but I stopped doing WK around lv 24 the first time around. Forgot my account name and decided I’d just start over anyway. Now lv 7, planning to head straight for my old level, as fast as possible.

2 Likes

Well, just as long as you made sure to stop the subscription for your other (unused) account. Otherwise you’d be paying double.

2 Likes

@omukai, Did you send an email to wanikani to find out your original account name?

2 Likes

hello.
no, i didn’t bother with it. wanikani was on a 1 year subscription, but it’s been 2 or 3 years now, and while i picked up some kanji knowledge somehow here in japan without really doing anything (only my natural curiosity, when i wander around, see them and try to read them), i’m pretty sure i forgot a lot of those i learned here.

the 20s are not so bad either, i can get back to that point in a few months, and i like that “fresh start” feeling.
also, looking back and now actually redoing those old lessons, i find many of the kanji i found difficult back then are now easy to memorize. i’m pretty happy with my situation and enjoy being here again :slight_smile:

1 Like

That has been my experience too.

I reached level 23 and stopped for six months. It felt like one step forward and two steps backwards. So I reset to 1. It is a lot more enjoyable and I am starting to comprehend NHK Easy articles.

2 Likes

I even took on a VN the other day, Stein’s Gate, but this one’s still beyond my comprehension :smiley:
But I can read signs in shops, like 北海道物産, and that makes me happy.
In this case, being in Japan is really helpful, but it can be simulated by just reading a lot. Unfortunately, my job is very demanding time-wise, so I can’t do that… had to opt out of the のんのんびより reading circle because I don’t have the power to do all this, then sit down and zoom like crazy and try to read those tiny furigana.

I also think some things just clicked over time unconsciously, and all the progress is just really motivating!

Great to see there’s someone with the same experience, even roughly at the same level, even dropped from roughly the level I was at. Let’s get to 60 this time around :slight_smile:

Did a hard reset from level 3 now level 3 again. Gonna ride the free train forever. whoot whoot
hmmm. better gonna go and search for my credit card now I guess…

2 Likes

I was on level 7, and reset back to level 1 three days ago. I was only slack for a month, but the reviews got a bit too overwhelming to me after returning, and I had forgotten a lot of the levels 4-7 content. I thought I’d just reset to 1, to revise old content and really get back into the swing of things.

It’s working well! Level 1 completed (radicals and kanji) in under 4 days, so hopefully by the end of this month, I’ll be caught back up!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.