A quick thank you to the developers

I just want to say a quick thank you to those who made WaniKani a thing in the first place. I live in Japan, study my brains out to enter a Japanese university, and it’s all really stressful and difficult. But I noticed the difference from using WaniKani immediately. Every time I level up things around me become easier to understand. Whether it’s things written around town, a novel, or schoolwork, everything is easier because of this site.

WaniKani has been incredibly helpful to me from the start. The whole set up makes learning kanji readings really simple and easy, and it’s allowed me to learn a ton in a short amount of time while feeling excited about it, not stressed. Even if I get into a slump with my normal studies and stop doing my homework or using my textbooks, I never skip WaniKani. It’s easy to make a habit of and keeps me motivated.

I never would have gotten this far in my Japanese studies this quickly if it weren’t for WaniKani.

Thank you so. so. so. so much.

64 Likes

If you don’t mind would you tell us a little about how you got to this point in your life? Studying to enter japanese high school… ?

1 Like

i’ve noticed the same thing about levelups– i instantly notice & understand a ton of new things all the time right around them, and i don’t even have the good fortune to be in Japan in a total immersion situation just yet. it must be mind-boggling to be over there discovering new things you can suddenly understand!

+1 to what @Thofte said though– i’d love to know more about your origin story & how you wound up studying in Japan! and what are you interested in studying at Japanese university?

1 Like

What a great story! Good luck with everything. :slight_smile:
WaniKani rocks!

1 Like

A wild ride, for sure. I don’t envy all of the complex specialty terms you’ll need to know, but if it’s your passion, I have the fullest faith in you!

1 Like

wow, N1 class too easy. you’re goals! good luck in your next chapter dear sir

2 Likes

I miss the days when I was learning animal names.
Chemistry in Japanese…; A;

I’m curious about your journey to and after N1 without having the kanji knowledge :slight_smile:

Gonna be a tough one hahaha

and the prize for least accurate statement of all time goes to my dude Strideer1, future astronaut aerospace engineer linguist!

9 Likes

I’m most likely taking N1 this summer because it’s a requirement for one of the schools I’m going to. I’m not confident at this time in passing, but I’ll try to catch up and let you guys know if I pass. ; u;

2 Likes

Incredible determination. Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

i was gonna say this too XD

like i’m living comfortably in the states just learning jp so i can post trash anime memes with bilingual puns on them, so it’s a good thing you warned me your story isn’t interesting either in case i might have thought otherwise!

seriously though, that’s really incredible, especially running your own english school alongside your studies. good luck with everything!

3 Likes

Wow that is quite a story… Thanks for sharing. But what about tuition fee? I read it is about 5000 €/year in Japan (Here in Germany it is only 400 €/year :open_mouth: ). Do you finance that with the English school?

And that’s not even really tuition fee, it’s basically administration fee and public transport ticket for 6 months.

1 Like

If it’s in Euros, it’s about 13,000 for my top choice of schools. It’s private so it’s the most expensive. The other ones I’m applying to are about 6,500 Euros. That’s the first year tuition, so it’s cheaper after that.
That’s nothing compared to American tuition.

I’m not financing it with money from the school, no. I am in no way rich off of this hahahaha.
I pay myself a third of what I pay my employees so I can afford to pay them fairly.

I do freelance work for actual money, mostly translation and commercials. So it’s common that I’ll finish work at the school and then go meet a client for different work. :B

1 Like

Aerospace engineering in Japanese? Wow, good luck! Be careful not to burn yourself out.

Yeah, that’s really hard. ): Thank you.

Agree, I also live in Japan and it helps for reading. Speaking/grammer is another issue, eagerly awaiting EtoEto for that.