A little survey for book readers

I notice that a lot of you are book reader(whether you do it for practice, fun or both)

I just wanted to scout your reading habits a little. There is no research or report after. Just for fun.

I wanted to know do you read on Ebook or physical book?(which is best)

• Physical
  • Ebook

0 voters

If you tell me why I would like to know your thoughts on it.

For me I am still unsure about ebook. I do find it really useful when I look up kanji and stuff, it’s cheaper and takes less places but I also really like physical book. I still also wanna buy the physical book ha ha. Sounds silly to buy something twice though.

Which is the best genre of book?(Max 5)

• Fantasy
  • Sci-fi
  • Romance
  • Slice of life
  • Horror
  • Comedy
  • Tragedy
  • Nonsense
  • Satire
  • Short story
  • Personal growths
  • Other (please specify in comments)

0 voters

How many books do you read per months?

• 2-4
  • 5-8
  • 9-10
  • more than 10

0 voters

How do you choose a book?(max 3)

• I choose the genre I like
  • I choose the author I like
  • I choose the book that seem good
  • I pick randomly

0 voters

Which language do you read your book in? (max 5)

• English
  • Japanese
  • German
  • French
  • Finish
  • Spanish
  • Italien
  • Chinese
  • Korean
  • Other(please specify)

0 voters

How often do you reread book?

• Never
  • 1 time
  • 2 times
  • 3 times
  • more than 3

0 voters

Thank for your participation don’t hesitate to write your favorite book in the comments or any recommendation you have.

Personally I don’t have a favorite but I really liked The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel I nice Fantasy story with some nice mythology in it and a nice twist.

21 Likes

Wow @Ditto20 voting faster than me ha ha how is this even possible I just made the thread.

6 Likes

I can’t answer the rereading one, because… it depends!

I didn’t get many new books when I was a teenager, so I pretty much just reread everything I already had over and over :grin: now there’s too much out there that I want to get through, so I only reread my absolute favourites on rare occasions (often when I’m not very well and don’t feel up to the emotional stress of an unknown story :sweat_smile: ).

I feel like a lot of books I read now aren’t so good that I have any interest in ever reading them again. I’m either going to read something I know is fantastic because I’ve read it before, or something new.

The ones I do reread though, I will reread any number of times!

21 Likes

For me I never reread book because I can feel like it’s a waste of time. There is sooo much book to read why reread one you already know what is happening so it’s less interesting.(But a nice practice for Japanese) But yeah me too when I was a child I was rereading a lot of the book I had. I almost knew the story by heart. Mostly because we only go to the school library once per week.

3 Likes

Less interesting, and you might be missing out on some amazing new book! But on the flip-side there’s something very comforting about returning to a known and loved book (hence re-reading when I’m sick :grin: ).

I’m the same with eBooks - I like the idea of being able to easily carry books with me, but I like physical books, so I never buy them in e-format, so my Kindle never really had anything I wanted to read on it :sweat_smile: I sold it last year.

7 Likes

The rereading and amount questions are highly dependent. I go through phases where I’ll only read in my free time for weeks or months, then anime, then gaming, it kind of switches.
Most recently I had a few months were i only read a bunch of translated (Japanese, Chinese and Korean) webnovels, but that’s kind of hard to count.

As for language, mostly English (I am German, but actually reading books in German feels weird somehow). I am trying to start on reading more in Japanese, but that’s a work-in-progress.

3 Likes

Same ha ha. Especialy these days the is a lot of good games in sales. It’s the halloweens sales too.

For me I need to start reading some German book to get better in German ha ha.

4 Likes

I’ve just been on a re-reading splurge (Watership Down - 14th time, first time in 36 yrs; A Wrinkle in Time - 2nd time, first time in 36 yrs; and my 30-year-old copy of A Handmaid’s Tale - 3rd or 4th time, first in about 10 years - immediately after reading The Testaments), but as with previous comments, in adulthood I don’t re-read as much as I used to.

6 Likes

Thinking about it, I actually very recently reread something that I had only read last year:

It’s not the most challenging of reading, but it’s fun.

1 Like

Since the language poll said “please specify”: I’ve also read some books in Swedish(since, well, it’s my native language and all).

As for nice books, everything by Sanderson is pretty nice as far as English fantasy goes. I’ve seen people mention him on here several times though, so for something I haven’t seen a lot of people mention having read, his YA books are also nice and his Alcatraz books(which supposedly are targeted at “middle schoolers”, but some of the stuff from latter parts seem kind of dark for that audience) are equally good.

In Japanese, the best things I’ve read so far(only including actual “book” books and not manga) are Re:zero, SAO, and コンビニ人間, but I’ve also just read, like… 15 books.

And I haven’t really read anything I liked enough to bother with mentioning it in the other two languages(German and Swedish) :sweat_smile:

(Recommendations for good books in any of those four languages would be nice, by the way)

7 Likes

Yay for Sanderson!
Another excellent author IMO is Jim Butcher, both his urban fantasy - The Dresden Files - and more high-fantasy stuff like the Codex Alera (Which I should reread, because I barely remember it)

4 Likes

I was a voracious reader in my youth. I don’t read nearly as much now, but I do still get a decent amount of reading in. It helps now that I’ve gone digital for books, because I now always have at least one device I can read on, and if I bring my Kobo ereader, I have access to any novel I’m reading. If I bring my Gulliver ereader, I have access to every manga I’m reading.

Reading genre: the two missing for me are 1) detective story (Holmes, Poirot, Detective Conan, etc.) and 2) magical girl genre (Cardcaptor Sakura, Saint Tail, etc.). I also occasionally read non-fiction books.

I voted that one of my methods of choosing a book is “randomly”. This is mostly when looking at digital manga where the first volume is free for a limited time. I’ll pick some items at random (or judge them based on their cover art!) and download a few. Then I’ll look through and see if I can read them (please let there be furigana!), if I like the art style, and it it looks like it may be interesting.

My most recent big read was “Who Censored Roger Rabbit”, which I made it through in a week. (I do love those detective/crime/mystery stories.)

I don’t know if I have a favorite book.

8 Likes

Interesting, I am the only one that reads horror?
Maybe I consider some Fantasy/Sci-fi as horror

1 Like

With Other Reading (Since I am supposed to specify in comments):
Philosophical Writings

I have also been extremely interested in the writings during and shortly after the French Revolution

2 Likes

Omg same xD I have some of my favorites books/mangas that I reread once in a while, especially when I forget it (not like my mom, she remembers everything she read :OO I feel quite lucky in that sense :eyes:)

I recently reread my favorite book from my childhood but this time in original, English, plus the 2 books that were never translated:3 After that I wanted to read the other childhood series from the same author because I completely forgot it :eyes: Also I’m rereading One piece in original now, so that also counts I guess. And it’s so hard for me to pick something new usually :thinking:

4 Likes

I also like non-fiction, especially history book. Sadly, my memory sucks, so I usually get irremediably lost in the process of reading those, but I still like them.

Recommendations from people. I include book that get nominated on floflo in that.
(The closest I found was “I pick randomly”)

Depends how recently we are talking. Last time I read a book in English or French was 2017.

I know, right? That happens all the time when I put up threads for the book clubs.

10 Likes

I reread my favorite books as often as I’m in the mood. At the very least I usually reread a book before reading its sequel.

I think I’ve read most Brandon Sanderson books twice, and a few three times. His novella The Emperor’s Soul I’ve read several times since it’s so good and so short. And I’ve read Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card probably four or five times.

11 Likes

I put ‘never’ for the rereading vote, but really it depends. I’ve read some books more than 5 times, but usually it’s just the once.

Rereading is good when I want to know I’ll be reading sth good. :eyes:

I probably read as much German as English, and not so much Japanese, but the last year has been mostly Japanese. XD

7 Likes

Other genre: classics
Other language: Swedish

Favourite book: The Count Of Monte Cristo

6 Likes

How did I not included that one. I also read a lot of them ha ha.

I do know a lot of people that like horror though. Some Stephen kings’ book I believe, For Horror I believe that if the goal of the book is to be scary it is a horror book or else it’s only gore/darker part.

That is probably the first book I had to read in school that I liked. It was a huge book though ha ha.

That makes two for swedish’s book.

Btw Thanks for answering guys. I don’t have a lot of people that I can speak of books with.

4 Likes