A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar [aDoJG] 💮 Reading Club // Reading the Intermediate version

:tada: :dancer:

(Cheering for you if that wasn’t clear. :joy:)

5 Likes

Very random question - is there anyone in Australia who is after a hard copy of this book? Especially if you live on the east coast!

I’ve seen a copy on a local op shop which is available for $1. I already have a copy but would be happy to buy it and ship it for someone. I’m also shortly driving from Sydney to cairns then Alice springs so have a reasonable opportunity to drop it off…

9 Likes

Week 6 is here, 〜出す to どう:

I’m linking to the post I made for the official start of the week, but there might be posts earlier than that covering this week’s points. There is a post with links to all the relevant Bunpro entries, which I’ve linked in the top post of the thread. In fact resource collecting posts will always be linked in the OP of each thread (as long as I remember to put them there!).

Last week in A-D thread. Next week we’ll be in E-J. I can’t believe April is already over and we’re on week three of main entries. Time seems to have flown so fast!

10 Likes

:sob:

I wanted to try doing this with the group, but I haven’t even started the main entries yet. Why am I so bad at doing anything related to grammar?

8 Likes

I’m behind too. I reckon it just needs a few good days to catch up. (I’m ignoring the early sections that I’m way behind on.)

4 Likes

I have one section left before the main entries, but I might skip it.

2 Likes

If you read just two or three of the entries every day, you will catch up in no time!

3 Likes

If I could regularly read 2-3 grammar points per day I would have already completed all the Shin Kanzen Master grammar books. (I still haven’t even touched the N3 one for review, much to my grammar buddy’s frustration. :sweat_smile:)

I was hoping the book club would keep me honest, but clearly that hasn’t worked so far. I appreciate the encouragement though. Maybe I’ll finally get started tonight. (After all, leaving those threads unread this long has been torture!)

8 Likes

Boom! First week’s worth done!

14 Likes

This is such a mood, I have read like 2 main entries total and now I’m so behind :sob:

8 Likes

I sat down to continue expanding the schedule and we’ve run out of our luck. The shift from K thread to M thread would happen midweek with our current schedule, but that made me wonder if reading say 8 entries one week here and there would smooth out the schedule to always shift threads between weeks. Not that it is super important, but I will present you guys with the choice.

Alternative A: Current schedule would look like this, from May 27th when K starts:

1. 7 Ks
  2. 7 Ks
  3. 7 Ks
  4. 7 Ks
  5. 1 K + 6 Ms
  6. 7 Ms
  7. 2 Ms + 5 Ns
  8. 7 Ns
  9. 7 Ns
  10. 7 Ns
  11. 4 Ns + 3 O-Rs
  12. 7 O-Rs
  13. 4 O-Rs + 3 Ss
  14. 7 Ss
  15. 7 Ss
  16. 7 Ss
  17. 1 S + 6 Ts
  18. 7 Ts
  19. 7 Ts
  20. 6 Ts + 1 U-Z
  21. 7 U-Zs
  22. 7 U-Zs
  23. 7 U-Zs
  24. 1 U-Z (We would almost certainly bump this onto the previous week)

Alternative B: If I kept each week to only one thread it would look something like this (when the extra entry/entries fall would depend on page count of each week):

1. 7 Ks
  2. 7 Ks
  3. 7 Ks
  4. 8 Ks
  5. 7 Ms
  6. 8 Ms
  7. 7 Ns
  8. 7 Ns
  9. 7 Ns
  10. 8 Ns
  11. 7 O-Rs
  12. 7 O-Rs
  13. 7 Ss
  14. 7 Ss
  15. 7 Ss
  16. 4 Ss (either divide this up over the previous three weeks, or thin out the previous three weeks a bit; the option that makes the page count similar to other weeks will be picked)
  17. 7 Ts
  18. 7 Ts
  19. 6 Ts
  20. 6 Ts
  21. 7 U-Zs
  22. 8 U-Zs
  23. 8 U-Zs
  • A
  • B
  • Either is fine

0 voters

I’m also behind. Just finished だい

3 Likes

I find myself oscillating between being behind and finishing ahead of time. My marker for how many entries I can read at once is how stuffed my brain feels after finishing an entry. :joy: Basically I want to go slow enough I never tire myself out while reading entries, but if the entries are very easy ones (for me) then I can typically handle at least 2 and the other day I think I read like 4 entries, but that is likely to be a 1-2 time thing, 2 seems to typically be as much as I can handle and still feel like I took it all in.

3 Likes

And our second letter thread is active (a few hours early even by Japan time; I tend to batch book club duties and I have some that fall on Fridays instead of Saturdays):

The poll in this post (about our schedule going forward) will remain open until Monday (May 8th) morning. Please vote if you are reading with us so I know I’m going with the majority decision! :slight_smile:

Btw, if we go with the option where the weekly amount of entries can change, I will add a column to the schedule that mentions how many entries are read each week.

7 Likes
Off-topic pedantic nit-picking

I love the sound of this, but it’s not what happens in English. We can say either:

“We’ve run out of luck.”
or
“Our luck has run out.”

No idea why.

Since your English is virtually flawless, I thought you’d want to know.
Please let me know if you want me to shut up.

2 Likes
since the reply is long-ish and off-topic I'm hiding it under here

Wow, thanks! :blush: I guess you don’t catch all the times I mess up is/are (and he reads vs we read, that s might just be missing), or maybe those are common enough among natives that they don’t count for you (either one works for me xD). I almost always reread my posts after hitting reply because I catch those mistakes more easily after I’m done composing. xD

I also move around certain words, although I think that might have more to do with clarity in writing than improper ordering. There are just certain orders that work well in speech because you can place emphasis to make the sentence clear, while using it in writing makes the writing muddled (and/or riddled with commas). (Yes, I think a lot about language/communication. :joy:)

I’m glad you liked the sound of it, that was why I wrote it like that. I didn’t realize it (probably) came from conflating those two sayings into one; this is something my brain is exceptionally good at. Preferably it’ll take half of one saying and half of another, and then just put one right after the other like it makes total sense. And I never notice. :joy:

In conclusion, I don’t mind these kinds of things being pointed out. :+1: Mixing up sayings or incorrectly using idioms are useful things to know. So yeah, if you see anything like this again, please feel free to share. Maybe next time it wasn’t, at least in part, intentional. :smiley:

(Just to be safe: little typos/misspellings or plural verb form used with singular subject (and similar) would not be comments I’d like to see.)

6 Likes
more off-topic rambling about nit-pickery

Me too.
(Very happy to make your acquaintance.)

I love it when native speakers correct my mistakes in other languages, and I tend to assume that other people value this too, especially if their level in the target language is as insanely high as yours is in English.

Of course, this assumption sometimes turns out to be mistaken.

Got it.

Happily I’m unlikely to comment on stuff like that, because I figure you already know those rules, even if you slip up. And I try not to correct other native speakers too much, because doom. :scream:

Honestly I do try! It’s just that sometimes the temptation is just too great

3 Likes
Hidden cause off topic

Hey this is me! :rofl:
I can even do it to words, mix together two words and make a new one completely on automatic so don’t even notice :upside_down_face:
For me it’s caused by my ADHD I believe (possibly the autism as well). Though of course anyone can do it even if neurotypical, it’s just known to trigger it =P

2 Likes

The poll for the possible alteration to the schedule is now closed. The majority wanted the schedule to change slightly, meaning that each week will always stick within one letter thread. This means that some weeks will have 8 entries, and some will have 6 entries, instead of always 7. But I will be adding a column to the schedule that tells the amount of entries for each week, as well as try to remember to mention it when I post the weekly posts. (And of course, I’ll continue to say from X to Y for each week. ^^)

This change won’t have any affect for more than a month; so seven entries per week for a while yet. And I’ll make sure the schedule is fully updated before that changes! :muscle:

8 Likes

BOOM :bangbang:

I’ve probably made the longest schedule ever in WK book club history. :joy:

See OP for it, because I’m not about to make this post more than 10x as long just to copy it in. xD

12 Likes