A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar [aDoJG] šŸ’® Reading Club // Reading the Intermediate version

Iā€™ve voted for a slower start for selfish reasons, since Iā€™m on holiday until 10th April and wonā€™t have the book with me. But I always figure a slower start is good to avoid too many people dropping out early.

6 Likes

If someone spoils 恋 for me before I get to it, Iā€™ll be really angry

17 Likes

With all polls closed, I can put together a schedule:

Week Start Date Reading Page Numbers Page Count
Week 1 Mar 25th Grammatical Terms 1 - 15 16
Week 2 Apr 1st Characteristics of Japanese Grammar - Part 1 16 - 35 20
Week 3 Apr 8th Characteristics of Japanese Grammar - Part 2 36 - 60 25
Week 4-32 Apr 15th Main Entries, 7 per week n/a ca 14-21 / week
Week 33 Nov 4th Appendix 8: Improving Reading Skill by Identifying an ā€˜Extended Sentential Unitā€™ 612 - 618 7

Iā€™ve counted main entries as 29 weeks because my count of entries being 204 and the preface saying ca 200 entries and then 7 per week gives 28,5 to 29,1 weeks. So unless Iā€™ve counted weeks/dates wrong weā€™ll finish mid-November.

Of course, we can check after a month or two of main entries and see if we want to speed up or not. But for now, this is the schedule we have and we start on Saturday!

EDIT: I decided on doing the roughly 50 (57 actually) pages per thread for main entries, so 9 threads with varying amount of letters. Some nostalgia for us folks old enough to remember old paper encyclopedias.

28 Likes

This entry feels like something out of the Ouran High School Host Club table of contents :wink:

5 Likes

:joy:

Too true. Iā€™m in fact over in that club about to put together the schedule now. :joy:

5 Likes

Ah yes, in a mere 2 years we will be able to read all three books just about

11 Likes

The three books have been sitting on my bookshelf for at least 15 years now and were very rarely actually used, so the idea of reading them at all already feels like an adventure. But hey, in about just 2 years? Wow!! :blush:

17 Likes

I just placed an order for the dictionary because many of you said itā€™s a useful resource in general. Whether Iā€™ll actually participate in the club, I havenā€™t decided :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

This schedule has real ā€œdraw the rest of the damn owlā€ energy.

edit: To be clear, I donā€™t mean itā€™s lazy, I mean that it feels like ā€œLearning Japanese Grammar in 5 Easy Stepsā€ with step 4 being ā€œlearn all the grammarā€ :laughing:

26 Likes

And the first week is here:

FYI: I tend to post the weekly threads on Fridays, even though the week starts on Saturdays. Sometimes Iā€™ll forget or be busy and itā€™ll come up sometime Saturday. ^^

19 Likes

Itā€™s saturday somewhere, probably
~Yoda, Star Trek

6 Likes

Like here, for example (GMT+7). Also, Japan Standard Time is GMT+9.

5 Likes

I (think) that I understand -na adjectives, but I have not encountered this way of presenting them before.

In my text, the adjective is shizuka, the prenominal form is shizukana, and it combines with the copula, as shizukada, shizukadeshou and so onā€¦

The dictionary, on the other hand appears to treat shizukada as the fundamental form.

What entailments does this have? Is this a more common way to understand -na adjectives?

ā€” Dave

4 Likes

As far as Iā€™ve seen, dictionaries exclude the 恠 for ćŖ-adjective entries. For example, 静恋. That said, I think thatā€™s just a convention.

According to this Japanese grammar site (using 静恋 as an example), 静恋 is the čŖžå¹¹ (stem), which supports why that form would be used in dictionaries. In modern Japanese there are 6 forms, 5 of which are relevant for ćŖ-adjectives. Using your examples from before, 静恋ćŖ is the 連体形 and 静恋恠 is the ēµ‚ę­¢å½¢.

5 Likes

I understand all of this, but I am observing that the dictionary is taking a non-standard approach to the presentation. It may be relevant later on.

ā€“ Dave

2 Likes

My reaction to this idea.

5 Likes

First part of Characteristics of Japanese Grammar is here.

12 Likes

I have something groundbreaking to bring to the group today!

I was browsing the Tofugu learning resources database and I came across an incredible discovery! Two brothers created a Discord server/bot which serves as a ā€œpublic quiz arcadeā€. There are quizzes for all the grammar points found in the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar and more! There are also Anki flashcards that the creator has made so you can just practice the pages you have read.

I hopped into the discord and gave the bot a tryā€¦ it destroyed me, but I will have my revenge! Had a chat with one of the creators and apparently they got the bot back up in running just this week which is incredible timing! Link to the article(which includes discord server link) and flashcards below!

15 Likes

I thought this thread somehow lost momentum and never startedā€¦ just realized that there are individual threads for each of the first couple of weeks

I didnā€™t read it thoroughly, my bad

9 Likes

And here is the second half of grammar characteristics:

And then next week, we start with main entries!

So what Iā€™ll do then is: I will expand the schedule with all the info for the A-D thread (or possibly the first 2-3 letter threads), so the schedule will slowly but surely fill up with all the relevant info.

In the A-D thread, Iā€™ll also include a poll that can be clicked to mark when youā€™ve read the entries grouped by week. (Thanks for the suggestion, @NicoleIsEnough.) That way if you skip a week, youā€™ll easily be able to go back and see which one. And youā€™ll also get to slowly see yourself check all the options to get a bit more feeling of completion/accomplishment. Everything we can do to make this endeavor less boring, eh? :joy:

18 Likes