A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar [aDoJG] šŸ’® Reading Club // Reading the Intermediate version

That was exactly the reason I picked it up in physical form. I assumed itā€™d be easier to flip through, not having to fumble with a pdf or whatever

6 Likes

21 Likes

I think I might have missed that thread, but doesnā€™t surprise me in the slightest. :joy: What kanji was it? I could use a laugh, because when couldnā€™t I? xD

5 Likes

It was this thread:

You sneaked into my brain and read my thoughts! :rofl:

10 Likes

I vote that ā€œTo the readerā€ should be read as a week 0, in the same vein ABBC did with Prefectural stories

Though there there was a sentence by sentence translation and analyzation, letā€™s omit that part :joy:

11 Likes

Or possibly included with the first main entry? That is when it becomes relevant after all, if we read all the other pre-main-entries parts first, that To the Reader part would be far out of our mind by then. :thinking:

7 Likes

Everything I expected that thread to be. :joy: And I think I peeked at it when it first posted and had maybe 2-3 replies, it just got better/worse (in the best way) from there. :joy:

6 Likes

Yes! :grin: Itā€™s simply popcorn all the way down :popcorn:

6 Likes

Thank you very much for posting some sample pages,@MissDagger, and for this reading club idea (which is not that crazy, in my book at least)! :smile:

I was trying to get an impression on how the grammar points are illustrated to get a feel of it. Iā€™ve had to deal with a fair share of grammar books on other languages some of which ended up having methods and structures that made it unnecessarily hard to understand the essence. ā€˜A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammarā€™ seems alright from the pages youā€™ve provided, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know myself too well to know that I probably wonā€™t be able to get through the book more or less consistently by my own ambition. But doing it alongside other community members may push me to stay consistent (like during the every-day challenges).

And now Iā€™m stuck mulling over if I want to join in or not for the next few days. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

In your dictionary at least!

ADOJG is basically universally praised, itā€™s a very good dictionary, I personally have used it.

8 Likes

Wow, what an interesting idea! Iā€™m tentatively in; really depends on when the club starts, I think. Anyway, I wanted to drop a resource I bookmarked ages ago: A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar. Dunno who originally compiled it, and of course I havenā€™t gone through entry-by-entry to compare to the book, but I thought this might be useful during the planning stages of the club?

4 Likes

I highly recommend reading through all the stuff before the main entries at least once on your own pace. Itā€™s both a how do I read this book and how do they explain grammar in general. The appendices are certainly helpful, but I feel those are extras.

For the main content of the book, itā€™s definitely not a textbook so the order that they use is not necessarily the order we have to use. One suggestion would be to mix it up and let members pick a few grammar points to read up and discuss later. That does make it harder to organize and requires a bit more input so idk.

4 Likes

About not doing all the 恫 entries all at once: I suggest that @Gorbit99 or @ChristopherFritz or whoever writes a scripts that decides randomly on the order in which we will read the entries, that way it will not be boring :grin:

3 Likes

Iā€™m just waiting for us to cover the advanced book, because Iā€™m pretty sure there will be quite a lot of ā€œwait a sec, I donā€™t understand the words in the english explanationā€

8 Likes

While these are lovely ideas, they also add unnecessary complexity in my opinion. And a lot of extra organization (aka a lot of extra time) for those shepherding the club.

For one, if we go with reading one entry a day, suddenly people would actually need to keep track of which entry to read each day/week (it would probably be presented per week). There would be a lot of flipping through the book, and having to check the thread to see what to read next. While if we read them in order, a bookmark is all anyone would need to know which entry to read next.

It is also not as simple as OCRing the index at the end to get all the entries, since there are smaller points/comparisons also part of the index that donā€™t have their own entry. Meaning those would need to be taken out (and there are quite a lot). And only after cleaning up that list (and double-tripple checking no entries were lost), could any kind of randomization be made. (There are probably easier randomization ways too, but they would still require extra organization and tracking.)

Now, if someone was willing to do all that work (Iā€™m not it), Iā€™m not opposed to putting it to a poll. But it is a lot of extra work for probably fairly little gain except the novelty of jumping from a random grammar point starting with b to one starting with k. Even though they will be in alphabetical order, I have a feeling they will feel quite unconnected to each other (except when there are multiple numbered entries for the same kana), so going front to back should provide both randomness in what is covered next (if not how it is spelled) while also making organization easier and quicker.

Right, that will probably happen, huh? :sweat_smile: After a while, grammar can become quite esoteric, eh?

11 Likes

That would be my concern as well, tbhā€¦

Plus, I for one would love to read all entries for 恫 one after another because that would allow me to compare and contrast them more easily (while they are fresh in my brain) and it would help me remember the particulars of each of them, I think.

So in short, Iā€™m Team Alphabetical :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

Fair enough :smiley:

1 Like

I received this book yesterday and I ordered it before this book club was planned. So, I think itā€™s my destiny to participe in this one as my first book club :slight_smile: !

As itā€™s my first one, I donā€™t have any preferences about the order of things or what will be covered, I will just follow suit with you.

8 Likes

Right, I forgot to share this:

My cat tried to help me take the sample pictures, but he wanted to cover up the text most of the time. Heā€™s not a very good assistant. But heā€™s very cuddly.

33 Likes

Oh no itā€™s happening to this book club as well

5 Likes