A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar [aDoJG] 💮 Reading Club // Reading the Intermediate version

I’m a linguistics student, and I had to write a mock research proposal for my language acquisition class. It was about L1 (first language) children’s acquisition of Japanese counters (numerical classifiers). Specifically comprehension of classifiers, not production. Something interesting I learned is that we as second language learners often learn measure words, quantifiers, and classifiers all as “counters” but really they’re different! Semantically and syntactically.

I’m not sure how good my mock research proposal was overall. Whenever we have to do this kind of thing, my ideas tend to be rather broad and my research questions kind of all over the place :sweat: but it was fun doing research on it.

I needed something that explained phonetic changes with different numbers, and since it’s a language acquisition class one of the requirements was to have a source that’s meant for L2 speakers (even though the paper was about L1 acquisition). I could have found that info somewhere else but it was nice to have this book on hand, especially since it needed to be something considered a credible source, so not some random website. But the paper itself wasn’t about this book, I was just able to use it :slight_smile:

Although I’m kind of surprised about the lack of counter info overall in this book. It’s not even an actual entry, there’s just a small section at the end of the book.

Off topic

See I’m the opposite, I almost exclusively play with my switch docked. But yeah I’m so excited to play it!! I’m such a big Zelda fan (as you might be able to tell from my profile pic :laughing:) so I’ve been counting down the days. Not sure how I’m going to get any reading done this summer lol

But I’m not going to be able to play it until Sunday since I’m so busy today and tomorrow (and also because it might not arrive until then :pensive:)

6 Likes
Off topic reply

I think I’ll end up having to play docked, because I don’t wanna mess with the charging cable and stuff. So it’ll be a new experience I guess. Gotta try it out sometime, xD

Won’t be able to play much tomorrow, so I’ll play as much as I can today.

It is so good so far. Not that I’m far in, but so far so good. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Week 8 starting today. Linking to the official start post in the E-J thread:

7 Likes
Zelda

I tried to stay a bit a head to not fall behind when the game released =P
I… need to read again soon to not fall behind… :wink:
I LOVE the game! Sadly been so busy I have barely made a dent yet, but that is over now so I will spend most of the time playing this weekend :grin:
There is so much to do! I’m dodging the main story and stab around blindly in the underground. just going from light to light (and then go up to grab the shrine over it)
Something about the deep darkness makes it more interesting to explore than the top world and sky,

1 Like

And this week we’re finishing off E-J with 行く1 to 自分2:

Next week we start K. Yep, just K for 4 weeks. :joy:

9 Likes

And K is here!

We’re reading 7 entries this week.

4 Likes

And second week of K, aka week 11. Seven entries this week too:

7 Likes

Hey look, my kind of book club.

Hello all, happy to be joining in! :wave:

8 Likes

Week 12 is here, 7 entries this week:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’m never gonna catch up :smiley: But I do read some entries from time to time at least lol.

7 Likes

I’ve basically given up as well. I put the dictionary back on my book shelf. :sweat_smile:

Honestly if I’m going to read grammar stuff I should do more advanced stuff anyway… (but will I? :see_no_evil:)

5 Likes

Well I haven’t given up, I’m just slow.

6 Likes

I gave up :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :see_no_evil: I think I only read one entry :see_no_evil:
Not even a random challenge can make me open a grammar book, it seems :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I was “just slow” for a while too, until I got four weeks behind and decided to be realistic. :laughing:

Good luck catching up!

5 Likes

For anyone who is behind, if you’re despairing too much about not being able to catch up, you could always just jump in right where we’re at now in the alphabet even if you haven’t read all the A-J entries! It’s not like it’s necessary or even intended to read this book in alphabetical order, anyway, so there’s no harm at all in skipping ahead. You can gradually catch up on the past stuff over time if you want without missing out on the current discussions.

5 Likes

But then how would we know who all the characters are?

8 Likes

I know this is a joke, but I’ve brought up so many examples of speech from pro wrestlers to provide native examples which illustrate the grammar points that regular readers of the book club posts probably do have a slight familiarity with those characters now :joy_cat:.

7 Likes

This inspires me to doodle wrestlers for all the grammar points …

5 Likes

You are perfectly right, of course!

Still, I hope I will have caught up before I am despairing too much. :wink:
The nice thing about trying to catch up is that I have a goal I am aiming to reach.

4 Likes

And the start of a new week. Week 13. 8 entries this week, we’re finishing K. Next week we move on to M!

8 Likes