What do you want now? (Request extensions here)

Hi, 
topic name is self-descriptive.

Tell me what you need to improve your learning, i will make it if possible.
Lets discuss new ideas.

15 Likes

A plug in that adds accent number (the bit in square brackets) to the expanded info page on vocab items by yoinking it mercilessly from Excite.co.jp. Naturally, unless a perfect match is found in both reading and kanji, one is simply not listed. If you wish to take this a step further, the number could be displayed using the underline/overline/hook method on the reading.

The data would ideally be looked up, parsed and added to the page after loading to favour pop-up over extended load times.

11 Likes

Usercript that shows which reading the kanji wants, On/Kun To replace Kiko’s customizer’s ;D (we can snatch the list of kanji that use Kun from kikos source code)
Userscript that shows a little mark on items that will be Burned/Necessary for level up in the review window

8 Likes

(not sure if it already exists, if not…)
Something (a Userscript I guess) which highlights all the already learned kanji

2 Likes
Snave said... A plug in that adds accent number (the bit in square brackets) to the expanded info page on vocab items by yoinking it mercilessly from Excite.co.jp. Naturally, unless a perfect match is found in both reading and kanji, one is simply not listed. If you wish to take this a step further, the number could be displayed using the underline/overline/hook method on the reading.

The data would ideally be looked up, parsed and added to the page after loading to favour pop-up over extended load times.
 These?

What do they mean?

1 Like

They’re pitch accent indicators.  They specify which syllable gets the high pitch. For example, たまご [2] means ま gets the higher pitch; ta-MA-go, but やめる [0] means the pitch stays flat.

14 Likes

I like the pitch accent idea 

7 Likes

btw, where did that plugin that replaces text in normal websites with learned kanji go?  I never bookmarked it and now I can’t find it.  If someone could give me the sauce that would be awesome

3 Likes

I think It’d be cool to have a list of all the vocabulary in lists of what they are (Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Etc.), That lets you know how many of each type of word there are. I know when I study, I very frequently look at specifically Verbs or Adjectives when studying Grammar, And using Wanikani to know what verbs and adjectives I should know would be (I think) extremely useful and pretty cool.

12 Likes
SoxKeepYouWarm said... btw, where did that plugin that replaces text in normal websites with learned kanji go?  I never bookmarked it and now I can't find it.  If someone could give me the sauce that would be awesome
 /t/Wanikanify-A-Google-Chrome-Extension/1000/1
6 Likes
SoxKeepYouWarm said... btw, where did that plugin that replaces text in normal websites with learned kanji go?  I never bookmarked it and now I can't find it.  If someone could give me the sauce that would be awesome
Do you mean Wanikanify for Chrome? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikanify/dbnpfdbkecfgaffopefhalliecehhkhj

5 Likes

I was going to make these extensions, but I don’t seem to have any time, so I hope you could do some of these:

• I’d like the option to mark an answer as wrong (like the opposite of WK override)
  • If a reading is misspelled but still accepted, give the user a chance to correct it instead of saying that it is slightly off
  • Have kanji and vocab appear in random fonts and font sizes, so the user will be able to recognize kanji in all shapes and sizes
  • I also like the previously mentioned accent number and kun or on marks

9 Likes
nqthqn said... I was going to make these extensions, but I don't seem to have any time, so I hope you could do some of these:
  • I'd like the option to mark an answer as wrong (like the opposite of WK override)
 I have commented on this before.

ruipgpinheiro said... [...]
I looked into allowing users to ignore correct answers, but there's a problem with that. As soon as you answer correctly to both the meaning and reading, the WK server is immediately contacted. This means that ignoring the answer is no longer possible if you're answering the second (as in, you're answering the meaning but have already answered the reading or vice-versa).

It is possible to edit the Wanikani script in order to make it wait until you press enter a second time to skip to the next question instead of auto-submitting, but that'd require a lot of work and would make the script pretty easy to break with the simplest Wanikani update, so it'd require a ton of work to get working at first, and a ton of maintenance later.

I don't think that is an important enough feature to justify all that work and make the script easier to break.
Also, with the latest WaniKani update, it would require disabling level-up/down indicators to make this work. It's simply not worth it.
If someone still wants to do it, though, be my guest :)
2 Likes

nqthqn said…
I was going to make these extensions, but I don’t seem to have any time, so I hope you could do some of these:

• I'd like the option to mark an answer as wrong (like the opposite of WK override)
... that's actually not a bad idea. Sometimes I accidentally "override" a false answer and feel guilty afterwards (yeah, "accidentally". Bad habits die hard w)

• If a reading is misspelled but still accepted, give the user a chance to correct it instead of saying that it is slightly off
Hmm, I haven't had many instances where misspelling the meaning of a kanji/vocab would make me feel like I "cheated" my way through the system.

• Have kanji and vocab appear in random fonts and font sizes, so the user will be able to recognize kanji in all shapes and sizes
Not gonna lie: This one would drive me crazy.

• I also like the previously mentioned accent number and kun or on marks
Oh, definitely this one. 
mayucchi said...  Sometimes I accidentally "override" a false answer and feel guilty afterwards (yeah, "accidentally". Bad habits die hard w)
 I'm actually planning to update the Override script soon (this week if I have time) to allow someone to "unignore" an answer (before they press Enter, of course) for that reason (also, I have accidentally pressed '~' in the past). Read my post right before yours for the reason why my script doesn't support ignoring a *correct* answer, though.
2 Likes
Been thinking about this one. But rather than random, it would be nice to have the current size + a common reading size to familiarize with the reading size.
5 Likes

I’d like the Wanikanify Chrome app to show you the reading as well as the meaning. This script replaces English words in a webpage with the equivalent vocab word from Wanikani. When you hover over the kanji you can see the meaning of the original English word but you can’t see the reading. If you coud see both you could use this script to check that you know both the reading and the meaning of kanji vocab.

2 Likes
jimpjorps said... They're pitch accent indicators.  They specify which syllable gets the high pitch. For example, たまご [2] means ま gets the higher pitch; ta-MA-go, but やめる [0] means the pitch stays flat.
 Alright, seems pretty useful.
1 Like

I have a request. Can you make it that kanji in the item info/lessons/reviews etc. get shown in the same order that they appear in the vocab?
For example these 2 should switch places. This is really irritating sometimes.

jakobd said...
jimpjorps said... They're pitch accent indicators.  They specify which syllable gets the high pitch. For example, たまご [2] means ま gets the higher pitch; ta-MA-go, but やめる [0] means the pitch stays flat.
 Alright, seems pretty useful.
 Pretty sure this would be kinda useful until they decide to finally add the 30+ levels of audio missing