WaniKani Updates June 28, 2017

Looks like the caching on those pages isn’t as robust as it should be. Tinkered with it. Waiting for the changes to move up the pipeline towards production. Thanks for the info.

“[Level 7] 〜札 - Was 札, but ふだ is a suffix”

Oh, well, at least I’m not crazy! I literally just got 〜札 wrong on a review because while I knew the vocab was ふだ, I was confused to see it presented as a suffix. Since sometimes we see things as both stand-alone and as suffixes, I assumed it might have been a lesson I’d recently done and completely forgotten somehow, so I second-guessed myself and went with the other reading instead. Should have gone with my original instinct.

“Removed 先年”
Ahhh, the one I could never remember because I kept thinking it should be what 去年 actually is.

1 Like

Should be resolved now.

Good now, thanks!

I felt that too a few days ago :frowning:

New items are added. So yes, if you qualify you’ll get new lessons.

Note that 〜時 != 時. They are different vocabulary. Same goes for other suffix types.

I jumped the gun. Just skimmed the post and thought things were just going to be changed and not added. Didn’t notice that part, oops

Yes!

I hated 先年, its meaning was so odd and hard for me to remember.

I wonder if 里心 will be next?

2 Likes

Like with the animal radical? 猫 (which is supposedly the first kanji with that radical to be unlocked) doesn’t show until level 15, and animal is around 6 I believe. Just my thought on that.
(Actually, should 猫 be bumped down? I’d wager it’s a commonly-known word, even for non-learners, and all the radicals for that are known by level six, so why wait so long?)

1 Like

I’M HAVING FEELINGS

3 Likes

Aha! This explains why I suddenly got a couple of really easy lessons out of nowhere.

Nice! That’s good, seeing as that’s the meaning most often used. Confusion with 在 is an issue, I suppose, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

Was very confused when I saw my lessons increase in number.

I was more shocked :wink:

3 Likes

From 60 lvl person without perpetual subscription, regarding new vocab:

What if i had about several hours before burning the last item, and now i have 6 fresh apprentices (which i already learned through wanikani expansion), what am i supposed to pay 6 more month of wanikani subscription just for this words with 3 month period of absolutely zero reviews (i’m perfectionist, i can’t just leave it like that). I exaggerated a bit of course, i 've got 60 level just month ago, and i’m going to pay only for one more additional month of subscription (hope nothing will be added in the future). I think people should have a choice of whether they want new words added or not.:rage:

1 Like

You do; no one is forcing you to do the lessons

9 Likes

Spoilers, these changes are the tip of the iceberg, as they have alluded to many times. Lots of things are going to be tweaked, moved, etc once the overhaul to radicals and mnemonics is complete, and I wouldn’t be shocked to see some new words appear.

1 Like

Username checks out

1 Like

Overhaul? Anywhere I can read a bit more of what that will entail?

1 Like

Just a innocent question… I’m lvl 4 and I was already doing all the lvl 4 Kanji reviews before this update. Since now that a new radical was added, will that delay my level up? Will I have to wait to guru’d this radical too or is having every Kanji in the guru level enough to level up? I mean, there’s no Kanji related to this radical on lvl 4 D:

Thanks in advance.

They have been vague about it but Kristen has been hinting that there will be an overhaul of how the radicals are dealt with in WK.

Here are a couple of her recent mentions of it to wet your appetite… :slight_smile:

2 Likes