WaniKani Notifier for Chrome

Do you use Chrome? Do you want to know when you need to review vocab on WaniKani? Well, I’ve got the Chrome extension for you! It’s an icon that sits in your notification bar and updates a badge with the number of items in your review queue. Check it out, and let me know what you think!

Features:

• Updates a badge on the extension’s icon when you have more to study
  • Optionally displays a desktop notification as well
  • Mouse over the icon to see the time of your next review
  • Clicking on the badge redirects to WaniKani
  • Your API key is synced with Chrome Sync, so all of your synced browsers will be set up automatically
  • Unloads when not busy, so uses less memory than keeping a tab open
Download:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-notifier/oolkffcgenmpgkfknfjfkhgbdnkobnga?hl=en&g…

Install:
  1. Download the extension from https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wanikani-notifier/oolkffcgenmpgkfknfjfkhgbdnkobnga/details…
  2. The extension should open an options page to allow you to enter your API key. If not, right click on the WaniKani icon and click “Options.”
  3. Copy your Public API Key from http://www.wanikani.com/account Into the API key text box on the options page.
  4. Click Save. If your API key is valid, a confirmation message should appear. You’re good to go!

Changelog:
0.2.1: Updated review page monitor for new review page
0.2:
  • Added option to display desktop notifications
  • Displays the next review time when you mouse over the icon
  • Added the option to change the update interval when reviews are due
  • Added a content script to monitor the WaniKani page and clear the badge when you’re done reviewing
0.1.1: Updated API calls to v1.1 (No impact on features)
0.1: Initial release

GitHub:
https://github.com/WaniKani/Chrome-Notification
Feel free to fork me and make pull requests. I’m a social coder!

Thanks for the github release! You should contact viet to get it into the wanikani organization on github.
I will look into your code today and try to get my safari extension to work :slight_smile:

Will do! I just sent him an email.

Can’t wait to see the Safari extension :slight_smile: If you have any code questions, let me know!

might want to mention you need to have this logged in AND open in a tab. I don’t get the notifications otherwise.

Just a heads up but there’s already a ‘Wk notifier’ app out there that was made before the API was available. I think it’d be a waste if both of you (kaerigan made the other app) were putting time and effort into making the same thing so maybe you guys should combine projects? Not to mention i think the other app is a bit more polished since it’s been tested for a while and had a lot of bugs smoothed out already. 

Anyway i don’t code at all so maybe i have no idea what i’m talking about but just wanted to make sure everyone knew what was going on :slight_smile:

Good luck!

@glitteringloke Hmm, I couldn’t reproduce the bug on my test machines. The API key shouldn’t require that you’re logged in, since that’s the point of having it. Double-check you’re not using kaerigan’s extension (icon should be pink, not gray), and if not, let me know what version of Chrome you’re on.

@kinryu Wow, I should have searched the Chrome store first… I just felt like making something :s My extension is open source, so if kaerigan wants to pull my API code in, they certainly can. I’ll try to hit feature parity in the next few days and then hopefully it’ll be a non-issue.

I’ve got some pretty decent Chrome extension code sitting around for finding and highlighting or replacing elements on a page, but it looks like people have made a lot of those already :frowning: I might make a WaniKani Highlighter extension anyway just for fun. Anyone have any ideas they’d like to see implemented?

ooh, it’s the other one. (and it’s not working for me at all anymore anyway XD)

lemme try your version :smiley:

Pushed version 0.2:

• Added option to display desktop notifications
  • Displays the next review time when you mouse over the icon
  • Added the option to change the update interval when reviews are due
  • Added a content script to monitor the WaniKani page and clear the badge when you’re done reviewing
A lot of features related to badge responsiveness tend to come at the expense of causing glitches for edge cases, so let me know if you have any trouble!

Wow, our extensions are veeeery similar, which is amazing considering you didn’t even know of mine when you made yours. Are we long lost coding twins or something?

Haha, it’s possible! I’m pretty embarrassed that I just went ahead and made the same thing without realizing it, though. Honestly, I still haven’t looked at yours. If you want to merge code bases, let me know. It’d make more sense to have one extension rather than two that do the same thing.

I know I’m not contributing but I’m gonna ask anyways.
Can someone make a Firefox version, I’d love to see this on on Firefox.
I’m not even gonna argue why I’m not using chrome.

Developing Firefox add-ons isn’t quite as intuitive/fun as developing Chrome extensions, so in my opinion that’s why you don’t see as many people making WaniKani Firefox add-ons. I’ve been playing around with the SDK tonight, and I’ll try to upload something workable in the next few days. I can’t promise anything too fancy, though.

It’d be cool if you made a firefox extension…

… especially if it worked with nightly :smiley:

Installed :slight_smile:

update for SSL pls

Yup, it’s not working now because of the SSL. Please update.

Can I interest you guys in a fork of this extension that includes HTTPS support?