WaniKani Gadget (Windows Gadget)

Hey all,
i was bored tonight and i decided to develop a Windows Gadget for WaniKani.
It will display your Next Review time, pending reviews and pending lessons.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixufdapp6jnm811/WaniKaniGadget.gadget

1) Install. (Windows only)
2) Click on Options (wrench icon), and apply your public API key.
3) Enjoy.

Sorry for the poor layout, but i made that in a couple hours.
Its on 0.1alpha yet ^^

Notes:
- I developed it in Windows 7. Not sure if it will work in Vista or 8.
- It refreshes every 5 minutes.

Upcoming:
- Better layout
- Level up status display
- Random Radical/Kanji/Vocabulary game, to help you study your lower ranks (customizable) while you are bored waiting.

- Kyōiku and Jōyō comparator (will show you how much % you achieve of both Kanji grades)

I will keep developing it during next week.
Feel free to ask any features (here or by mail) that you would like to see in your own customizable WK Gadget.

Thanks.
Alucardeck.

Thank you!

Hurray! Thanks very much!

(random thought: I wonder if there are that many gadget users any more…)

duuj2391 said... Hurray! Thanks very much!

(random thought: I wonder if there are that many gadget users any more.....)
 Well, the Daemon Tools gadget is very useful, you just need to drag-drop a .iso file to execute it.

In a few weeks i will make a Java version, so it will run probably in every OS.

How about Windows XP? Yes, some of us still use it :b
Maybe you could put here a print screen, so folks know how it looks like once installed :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for this!

EDIT: Here’s an idea, maybe you could have different sizes? For example, IMO it is a bit big right now and takes away a lot of space compared to other gadgets (I personally only use the GeForce temperature one, but still). Maybe you could develop a smaller version that shows only the most vital information, and the user could then change it to the bigger version with the whole information.

Just my two cents :slight_smile: keep up the great work!

Hey, i will make it with a resizable border,
i just didnt have time to develop it better, sorry =/

i will post here once i make a new version.

Thanks!

alucardeck said... Hey, i will make it with a resizable border,

Thanks!
 Thank you for the effort!

I suggest you give the user the option to pick what to show. For example I don't want my username shown and your contact info since I can tell you about bugs in topic if I need to. Just some simple checkboxes in the options menu would do if you could make that when you have the time.
Satoshi said...  Thank you for the effort!

I suggest you give the user the option to pick what to show. For example I don't want my username shown and your contact info since I can tell you about bugs in topic if I need to. Just some simple checkboxes in the options menu would do if you could make that when you have the time.
 Yes, that makes sense, i took note to remove both on next version.
Thanks.
alucardeck said... Hey, i will make it with a resizable border,

Thanks!
Hey no need to apologize! You're doing us all a favor and for free, I hope I didn't come off as sounding ungrateful, just wanted to try and help with some ideas :) It's really useful to remind me of coming here and reviewing, since I have kind of a very heavy workload (almost 12 hours a day) and tend to forget about Japanese, so having a gadget on my desktop warning me to get off my bottom and study a bit is really useful.

Can't wait for those updates! Keep up the great work! And thanks again!

EDIT: I kind of have an idea for a design for the smaller version of the gadget. Just popped up in my mind. I could make a quick sketch if you want for some ideas. If you already have something in mind, disregard this :)
dawnclover said... Hey no need to apologize! You're doing us all a favor and for free, I hope I didn't come off as sounding ungrateful, just wanted to try and help with some ideas :) It's really useful to remind me of coming here and reviewing, since I have kind of a very heavy workload (almost 12 hours a day) and tend to forget about Japanese, so having a gadget on my desktop warning me to get off my bottom and study a bit is really useful.

Can't wait for those updates! Keep up the great work! And thanks again!

EDIT: I kind of have an idea for a design for the smaller version of the gadget. Just popped up in my mind. I could make a quick sketch if you want for some ideas. If you already have something in mind, disregard this :)
 Hey, no problem =]

i suck at designing layout haha.
feel free to post ur sketch here, so everybody can give ideas over it, and we find something great for us all.

I’ll give a go later today during a low time @ work : )

Also if you want you could add the option to put relative time instead of the actual time for the “Next Review”. 
Relative as in “Next Review: 2 hours 12 minutes”. 

Here, I Photoshop’d a quick sketch.

Maybe it should be a little bit bigger? Dunno. I suck at colors BTW :stuck_out_tongue: but you get the idea I was going for. I also added Satoshi’s idea for the time until the next review!

Clicky for bigger image: http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8890/wanikani.jpg

dawnclover said... Here, I Photoshop'd a quick sketch.

Maybe it should be a little bit bigger? Dunno. I suck at colors BTW :P but you get the idea I was going for. I also added Satoshi's idea for the time until the next review!

I like it!

Maybe mess around with the font size and contrast a bit but the concept is really good :)
Satoshi said...
dawnclover said... Here, I Photoshop'd a quick sketch.

Maybe it should be a little bit bigger? Dunno. I suck at colors BTW :P but you get the idea I was going for. I also added Satoshi's idea for the time until the next review!

I like it!

Maybe mess around with the font size and contrast a bit but the concept is really good :)
Thank you!

I'm also wondering if that "鰐蟹" is really necessary, as it would give more space for a clearer "NEXT" and the respective time left. I kind of suck at contrasting and colors, that's why we have other people to do that kind of stuff at work hahaha :D but I'll give it a try later.

I suppose you’re busy and don’t have the time to update this but if it’s not too much to ask could at least remove some stuff? 

It would be great if you could just remove the row where it says user and your contact info. I’m not much of a programmer but I’m guessing you just need to delete some lines of code and repackage it into a gadget which can be done in a couple of minutes right?

If you can’t/don’t want to it’s no big deal, I just think it would look nicer that way and occupy less space.

Ooo - hadn’t spotted this before.  Will definitely be trying out when I am back on my home computer.
Thanks!