WaniKani Custom Color Style (Eternal Early-Access ;○P)

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

Hey there fellow WKers and soon to be ones.
Today I decided to share a little (Stylish-based) userstyle with you, the goal of the (whenever it will be) finished version being to give its users a nice and cozy ability to choose color settings of whatever kind on WaniKani.
Since it’s also a goal of mine to keep it (somewhat) userfriendly there will be no coding, editing or whatsoever required, I’ll try to take care of all that and it hopefully will work out like that (in the long run at least).
Since looking up the standard WK-colors also isn’t what i consider userfriendly, I’ll try to (remember to) keep all the standard colors of my style the exact WK ones.

A glance at WK using this style could for example present you with the following sight (if you’re bad with choosing colors):

Or this:

Or this.

The style can be found here.

Now do not fret, those cancer inducing color settings are only to show what the userstyle does.

It is still (and most probably will be for quite a while) a work in progress.

I’ll update it every now and then, though I preserve the right to just retire from doing so or pausing whenever. ;○P

And before I forget it:

I’d love to have some input of those who (plan to/are going to) use it (and others), since I think the concept is nice, but other than that it surely yet has flaws.
To my knowledge I’m not so good with designs, I sometimes have nice ideas, but that’s pretty much the peak of my design-personality-part (or smth like that?).
Also, just tell me what you think of the idea.

Planned:

○ (Selectable) Support for scripts like Dashboard Plus,…
○ Even moar userfriendlyness
○ Better example screenshots
○ User selection of functions to add (and maybe remove)

○ Mainly requested features (that are within what one can call a “style modification” of the website)

Planned (preferredly influenced by user-input concerning usability etc.):

○ Better/more appropriate binding of color-setting to application (on the site)

Done:

○ Basic Level- & Type-Colors (Kanji, Vocab / Burned, Guru,…), some Text and BG
○ Things

Since I made my previously private dark style (+another) public as well, here you go:
/t/Simple-dark-Userstyle/9032/1
/t/KaniWani-CustomDark-Style-post-overhaul/9279/1

Changelog:

2016.02.22 - Added an option for the review/lesson input’s background color as well as decided to add features mainly by request (now officially… I guess?).
2015.10.02 - Added the long missing background option as well as a changelog since I’m so uber professional.

4 Likes

I love how you picked the worst colours :-P 
Thank you for making this, I’ll try it out

1 Like

A nice script, this will be especially useful to anybody who is colour blind or partially colour blind or to help make certain text more visible. I actually like the colours as they are but I can see this being quite useful and can make the site look better as long as you understand how to pick a good colour scheme, *wink wink - don’t be that guy who picks the default standard colour tones.

RayderBlitz said...Planned:
○ Support for scripts like Dashboard Plus,...
That's super easy :-).  Your script can simply set the following two variables in localStorage:
[EDIT: Just realized yours may not be a script...  not familar with Stylish :-)  ]

localStorage.wkdpp_srs_radical_colors = "#00aaff,#b69acd,#9aa5cf,#a3c3d3,#999999,#00aaff";  // Apprentice,Guru,Master,Enlightened,Burned,Locked
localStorage.wkdpp_srs_kanji_colors = "#ff00aa,#b69acd,#9aa5cf,#a3c3d3,#999999,#ff00aa";  // Apprentice,Guru,Master,Enlightened,Burned,Locked
Aztrex said... A nice script, this will be especially useful to anybody who is colour blind or partially colour blind or to help make certain text more visible. I actually like the colours as they are but I can see this being quite useful and can make the site look better as long as you understand how to pick a good colour scheme, *wink wink - don't be that guy who picks the default standard colour tones.

Actually a recent thread about color blindness at least partly was what made me start this style.

rfindley said...
RayderBlitz said...Planned:
○ Support for scripts like Dashboard Plus,...
That's super easy :-).  Your script can simply set the following two variables in localStorage:
[EDIT: Just realized yours may not be a script...  not familar with Stylish :-)  ]

localStorage.wkdpp_srs_radical_colors = "#00aaff,#b69acd,#9aa5cf,#a3c3d3,#999999,#00aaff";  // Apprentice,Guru,Master,Enlightened,Burned,Locked
localStorage.wkdpp_srs_kanji_colors = "#ff00aa,#b69acd,#9aa5cf,#a3c3d3,#999999,#ff00aa";  // Apprentice,Guru,Master,Enlightened,Burned,Locked

Hehe, dont worry about me finding the codes n all.
I actually already implemented parts of code for script contents but deleted those parts again then since for now i'll work on the vanilla WK style and later on i'll add in some options for users to select (at least that currently is the plan).

Hey, this is really cool! The text looks much much better now. Thank you so much! ^^

GreenWarrior said... Hey, this is really cool! The text looks much much better now. Thank you so much! ^^
 That... was kinda unexpected.
May I ask you what kind of text you mean.. and if it's even this style causing it to be like you see it? :P

But either way, glad you enjoy it.

Edit:
I just realized I had an option for the text color in there as well... Well.. uh, I guess.

Thank you so much for this! I love the way I was able to customize it so easily and all the pretty colors I chose help me stay motivated and even brighten my day :slight_smile:

Grandslamdenny said... Thank you so much for this! I love the way I was able to customize it so easily and all the pretty colors I chose help me stay motivated and even brighten my day :)
Great, I couldn't want any more!
Have fun with it and feel free to tell me if there's something that should be improved/changed (I'll at least consider it). c(°_:_°)つ

I really like this. The only thing I wish it had was the option to change the response bar color.
It’s always white on my screen. (The bar you actually type in).

aragonsr said... I really like this. The only thing I wish it had was the option to change the response bar color.
It's always white on my screen. (The bar you actually type in).
Oh yeah, this style doesn't have it..
I kinda thought I had it in here, but turns out that's just my dark style.
Guess I'm going to add it now... or if for some reason it takes too long I'll probably do it today after getting up.

Edit:
Added it now, so it should work.
Though I don't have reviews available atm, so I could only use the lesson page to add the feature.
So if it doesn't work for reviews and I don't remember to check tomorrow, just remind me and I'll correct it.