[Userscript] Wanikani Self-Study 1.1.5 - Add your own Vocabulary!

Hey all, thought I'd make my first Userscript, just for fun and learning a bit of JavaScript :D

It allows you to create vocabulary on your own and then review your items wanikani style

Click here to download and for a detailed how-to http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/381435

It uses Wanakana IME, which means when typing out the readings during reviews the text will transform to hiragana automatically, just like in wanikani

It currently only works on the dashboard (only if the link is "https://www.wanikani.com/dashboard") and the forum user-panel

Tested it with chrome tampermonkey and firefox greasemonkey
2 Likes

What size did you test it on yourself?

corntastic said... What size did you test it on yourself?
1600x900

Canā€™t wait to get home and install this. I have plenty of work and TV show vocab that Iā€™d like to add in.

Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us!

Janitha said... Can't wait to get home and install this. I have plenty of work and TV show vocab that I'd like to add in.

Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us!
 No problem ^^
Be careful though, you can only review all items everytime you hit the review button, until I implement SRS

This is really awesome, once you will implement the SRS Ā it will be perfect!
I wonā€™t use it for a while sadly, as my level is not high enough to be able to read pretty much anything, but once Iā€™ll do Iā€™ll definitely be using it!

This is a pretty cool feature.Ā I have a suggestion:Ā  multiple meanings and readings.

Samuel-H said... This is a pretty cool feature. I have a suggestion:  multiple meanings and readings.
Oh yeah, didn't even think about that
Will put it on my todo-list after SRS
Shudouken said...
Samuel-H said... This is a pretty cool feature. I have a suggestion:  multiple meanings and readings.
Oh yeah, didn't even think about that
Will put it on my todo-list after SRS
Decided to do it now, wasn't that hard, enjoy :D
You may need to hit the delete all button once youā€™ve upgraded from an older version to make everything work again
SRS will have to wait some days... gotta find out wanikani's srs policies

Wow, I love this!! i hope you manage to make it even better <3

HereĀ are some things that came to mind with my first run:

- Since WK (without extension) requires you to press enter twice before proceeding to the next question, I had the tendency to press enter twice with this plugin and kept submitting empty string answers.Ā There should be a way to ignoreĀ answers with no input.Ā 
- The green/red outline to indicate correct/incorrect is very thin and hard to see.
- There should be an option to view the correct answer if something is answered incorrectly.

But all in all, good work and excited to see it evolve. :slight_smile:

skuni said... - Since WK (without extension) requires you to press enter twice before proceeding to the next question, I had the tendency to press enter twice with this plugin and kept submitting empty string answers. There should be a way to ignore answers with no input. 
- The green/red outline to indicate correct/incorrect is very thin and hard to see.
Already implemented these two points locally, but I'll wait until SRS works until I upload the script again

- There should be an option to view the correct answer if something is answered incorrectly.
 Hmm... I'll see, sounds difficult at the moment, maybe I'll make the correct answer popup everytime you're not correct

SRS is now fully implemented! Please hit the ā€œdelete allā€ button on the edit screen before updating

And Iā€™m really tired, could be that I missed out on some minor mistakes, feel free to test it out.
Iā€™ll update the how to on the page tomorrow

This sounds great. I guess Iā€™ll try it out later today. Keep it up!

Dusk252 said... This sounds great. I guess I'll try it out later today. Keep it up!
 Just upgraded it to version 1.1.1 for more improvements and mostly all bugs should be fixed by now
Also updated the how-to with all the details

Iā€™m excited as hell to start using this. You should add an option to import items as a CSV; I, like many other WKers, keep a running spreadsheet of words not on WK that I encounter in the wild. The ability to import these as a CSV would save me adding 1500+ items by hand.

This is so exciting. It offers a pleasant bridge between WaniKani and what I acquire through work, hobbies and everyday life here. Thank you! Shall be following your updates attentively (Iā€™ll probably wait till SRS is online - Iā€™m already trying to overcome work-related study backlogs).
Itā€™s a great idea, so please continue to do your best with it.

ocac said... This is so exciting. It offers a pleasant bridge between WaniKani and what I acquire through work, hobbies and everyday life here. Thank you! Shall be following your updates attentively (I'll probably wait till SRS is online - I'm already trying to overcome work-related study backlogs).
It's a great idea, so please continue to do your best with it.
 SRS is fully implemented

As for the csv, maybe I'll write a small .exe that turns csv into the import format, looks difficult to do in greasemonkey

This is great! Iā€™m already inputing my supplemental material.

Great job, and thanks!

This looks awesome, and I donā€™t mean to be discouraging, just a lot of us will be using Anki for this purpose, which allows you to add audio for each vocab item (this being the key difference for me), and is a lotĀ more customisable, too much perhaps, as it takes quite a lot of Anki experience to figure out the various things it can do. Ā Ā Ā  There is a script that lets youĀ import all the new vocab you learn in WK to Anki. Ā  Ā  Anki can also be used offline. Ā  Ā I agree that the WK format looks much nicer though (itā€™s possible to make Anki resemble WK I think, just itā€™s very fiddly)Ā plus itā€™s nice to be able to have all yourĀ learningĀ in one place. Ā Ā Ā