[Userscript] Wanikani Anki Mode

Hi, guys. I made a script that allows you to display an answer in reviews, and then choose whether you answered it right.

The flow is the following:

1. Open Wanikani reviews 
  2. Click the anki mode button
  3. Look at kanji/vocab/radical and mentally answer it instead of typing
  4. Hit space button to display the answer
  5. Hit ‘1’ or ‘2’ to mark review as being correct or incorrect respectively
  6. After that either hit enter to go to the next item, or you can also press ‘1’ or ‘2’ again to go to the next item.

It also works with the Lightning mode on, making it super fast to go through reviews (which is the main goal). It doesn’t change lessons screen and you still have to do it the old way.

I know a lot of people will find it useless or bad, and so on, but I had a lot of stuff going on recently and my reviews piled up, so sometimes I just want to quickly power through them instead of sitting there for an hour typing in the answers. The script removes the need to type by simply displaying the answer and you deciding whether you answered it right or wrong. Kind of similar to Anki. I suggest you don’t use it all the time, but only when you need to deal with 500+ reviews and just want to get back on track.

I am not responsible for you misusing the script, please answer honestly, and don’t abuse it.

There was a similar script before, but userscripts is down and it’s not quiet what I wanted. Couldn’t figure out how to programmatically trigger submission of an answer, so I just emulated the clicking of the answer button… If anyone knows a better solution, please let me know.

I wrote it fairly quickly, so the code is pretty bad. Feel free to fork/make pull request or do whatever with the code: https://github.com/grishinoleg/wk-anki-mode

The script itself is here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9747-wk-anki-mode

3 Likes

Why were none of these recent, brilliant scripts here when I had 2000 reviews…?
:frowning:

3 Likes
oregu said...Couldn't figure out how to programmatically trigger submission of an answer, so I just emulated the clicking of the answer button.... If anyone knows a better solution, please let me know.

FYI:
/t/Nuke-Reviews-Command-i-classicon-commentsi/8245/25

Not that I think it really matters though, emulating the click does that job so it's just as good.
In fact, it's better, since theres more stuff going on than just submitting an answer, you need to clear it from the active queue etc.
Ethan said...
oregu said...Couldn't figure out how to programmatically trigger submission of an answer, so I just emulated the clicking of the answer button.... If anyone knows a better solution, please let me know.

FYI:
/t/Nuke-Reviews-Command-i-classicon-commentsi/8245/25

Not that I think it really matters though, emulating the click does that job so it's just as good.
In fact, it's better, since theres more stuff going on than just submitting an answer, you need to clear it from the active queue etc.
 Thanks for the link, and yeah, it makes more sense this way to be honest

I think there's a learning advantage of your answer being final when you give it. You're more likely to internalize that the answer you gave was wrong if you feel the hurt right at that moment.

It's like skateboarding: if you wear pads then you don't learn anywhere near as quickly.

1 Like

I see the concern, though if you have the will to hit the “wrong” button, when you actually got it wrong, then you are good to go. I mean, we are all adults here. You cheat yourself, and if you can’t trust yourself, than don’t use it. There is already a user script that allows to cancel wrong answers, and people use it extensively. Tis script just helps me to go through reviews quicker is all.

Doesn’t appear to work for me? 

Yabba said... Doesn't appear to work for me? 
 give me some screenshots and i'll try to figure it out :-)
oregu said...
 Well, there's nothing to screen shot really, the blue Anki mode button appears and I click it. Then I try to hit space, or next, or enter, or click the next button, anywhere, nothing happens (a space enters in the text area). I click anki mode again and try and nothing works. Wondering how to properly use it
Yabba said...
oregu said...
 Well, there's nothing to screen shot really, the blue Anki mode button appears and I click it. Then I try to hit space, or next, or enter, or click the next button, anywhere, nothing happens (a space enters in the text area). I click anki mode again and try and nothing works. Wondering how to properly use it
 What browser are you using? Try chrome? I didn't have time to test it well on firefox

The script started being weird on Chrome for me today :frowning: Nothing is happening and it keeps showing me the same words over and over again ;-(

Best thing ever! Thanks so much!

Thanks

Shows an error when you try to download it.

1 Like

/bump
User still active?

You can click on the first link (github) and then the script file and copy the whole text for the script and import it to greasemonkey/tampermonkey.

I love this userscript and it really speeds up doing my daily reviews, but unfortunately I can only use it when doing review on my computer. Anyone knows how I would go about implementing this in the wanikani android app? I would be really grateful if someone could explain it to me or do it. 

embe said... You can click on the first link (github) and then the script file and copy the whole text for the script and import it to greasemonkey/tampermonkey.
 Thanks, did that now. It shows up in my list, looking forward to testing it out.

I just copy pasted the full script and saved it into greasemonkey (from github). But when I open the reviews, I don’t see any new buttons on the interface. What am I missing? :slight_smile:

Yeah, it looks like it doesn’t work on Firefox with Greasemonkey. On Chrome it works though. Maybe someone could take a look at the code.