[Userscript] WaniKani Similar Kanji

What the title says basically: this shows similar kanji’s (with links) for the given kanji on its page.
There are two sets of kanji used, one for similarities based on radicals and one for community defined similarities.
The visibility can be toggled for both grups.

koichi said…oh hey, this is cool!

I tried to add it to the lesson / review pages too, but unfortunately the stylesheets that contain this particular style are either not loaded there, or the style is supressed, I don’t know, but bottom line is it looks ugly, so I removed it for now.
I’m not really familiar with js nor css, so I don’t know how to overcome this, ideas are welcome! :slight_smile:

I can easily append more elements to the similar lists, so if you feel something is missing, feel free to ask for it.

For the radical similarity list I just used some random similar kanji set I found on github, and merged it with WK data.
For the community list I used the data from this thread (last updated 2015-06-26).

Compatibility: 
Only tested in Chrome, I cannot guarantee anything else.

DOWNLOAD:

The code can be found on github.
You can install the script from greasyfork.

CHANGELOG:

• Changed default API url.
  • Add community specific similar kanji.
  • Used the list from here.
  • Added the option to set the API url.
  • Fixed no similars handling & added nicer error messages.
  • Initial working version.

7 Likes

I have never been so excited for a userscript.

Adding, trying out now.

How do you determine which kanji look similar?

gth99 said... How do you determine which kanji look similar?
 It's predefined for each kanji, I ripped the data from here

Best script I have seen in a long time (best suited for me at least) 
 Edit: Trying it right now

Finally! (゚Д゚)ノ

This is so cool!
Usually I’ve had to dig though previous levels to find kanji that looks similar. This makes everything so much easier!

Thanks so much!
This is THE thing WK missed from my point of view. This is a saviour script :slight_smile:

Thank you good sir!

This is good!

The only problem is that is doesn’t really show “good” similar kanji.

For example for 木 it shows: 床, 本, 林, 栄 … but it doesn’t even show 大 which is an obvious choice! The difference is just one stroke. But these 林 and 栄 are nothing like 木. And it’s not the worst example.

Anyway, while the extension itself is GREAT! I think the list of similar kanji needs A LOT of work to make the most use of the whole thing.

While this is useful, I can see myself confusing the similar kanji even more so sometimes. For example, if I’m learning “right” and then look down at “left”, I’ll probably get confused. But then, I could always just turn it off when I want to.

Anzeigan said... This is good!

The only problem is that is doesn't really show "good" similar kanji.

For example for 木 it shows: 床, 本, 林, 栄 ... but it doesn't even show 大 which is an obvious choice! The difference is just one stroke. But these 林 and 栄 are nothing like 木. And it's not the worst example.

Anyway, while the extension itself is GREAT! I think the list of similar kanji needs A LOT of work to make the most use of the whole thing.

The similarity list is based on radicals, if you look at the example from that perspective, it makes perfect sense :)

Anyways, extending the list is up to the community, I'm open for suggestions on the list, and also on the method of deciding what to really add from the suggestions. 

(Also a tiny little sidenote: if someone wants to show a totally different set of similar kanji, I added the option to supply your on API url.)

This is very nice, thank you :smiley:

Ingenious idea! Thanks a lot! 
Although it might be a hell of a lot of work, why not start a thread where everyone adds the Kanji they always get confused so that they can be added to the list? Although, implementing that would probably mean a hell of a lot of work for you… Maybe there’s a way to automatize this?

EriolAB said... Ingenious idea! Thanks a lot! 
Although it might be a hell of a lot of work, why not start a thread where everyone adds the Kanji they always get confused so that they can be added to the list? Although, implementing that would probably mean a hell of a lot of work for you... Maybe there's a way to automatize this?
Adding elements it easy on my part, I just don't know how I feel about adding every suggestion, because the definition of similarity is based on opinion, and that possibily means having way too many items in the list.
But of course it's always an option to have this basic radical based dataset and a separate one with all the community ones added without any moderation, and everyone can choose which one they'd like to use.

So ppl who are planning to use this, what do you think?
Although it might be a hell of a lot of work, why not start a thread where everyone adds the Kanji they always get confused so that they can be added to the list? Although, implementing that would probably mean a hell of a lot of work for you... Maybe there's a way to automatize this?
Behold!  /t/Which-Kanji-Do-You-Always-Confuse/8901/1 

In Firefox, I get this:

Something unexpected happened while trying to load similar kanji. ごめんなさい。

API url: https://wk-similar-kanji.herokuapp.com/kanji

sglinert said... In Firefox, I get this:

Something unexpected happened while trying to load similar kanji. ごめんなさい。 API url: https://wk-similar-kanji.herokuapp.com/kanji

For a specific kanji, or every single one?

Thank you. Very helpful.

gth99 said...
Behold!  /t/Which-Kanji-Do-You-Always-Confuse/8901/1 
 Awesome =) interesting that the idea came up pretty much at the same time... Anyhow, i started a spreadsheet that everyone can edit! Here's a quote from my post int the other thread (/t/Which-Kanji-Do-You-Always-Confuse/8901/1 ):

Hey guys, how do you feel about taking this a step further?

A thread like this can be rather confusing, so i thought about creating a spreadsheet to have it all in one place. So: here's my shared spreadsheet "How to (not) confuse Kanji", where everyone can add the Kanji they always get confused.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nZxNVpgL-rZjT9syb-MzPHBAeDRWDtv-r-aLKIrikz4/edit?usp=sharing
Now, i didn't go through the whole thread and add all your confused Kanji, that would be a bit time consuming. So, if you're interested just make an entry. It's pretty self-explanatory, so just try and see how it works. If you confuse a Kanji with another one and no one's made an entry yet, put both Kanji in next to each other. If one of the Kanji is already there, you can add it to the right of those that other people get mixed up.
Here are a few rules when using the spreadsheet:
1. Anyone can use and edit it.
2. Only add something to the list if it's been bothering you past making the items to guru. This is to avoid the list getting to long  and having items that are only a problem briefly.
3. No deleting other peoples entries. If one person finds them confusing, that's enough for it to count. 
4. Check if you're item is in there yet by using the search function. 
5. Keep it clean! Formatting is Arial, 12 pt. Also pay attention to not messing up the borders!
6. For each Kanji, add the Level (級), Kanji, main reading and main meaning.
7. Beware if someone is editing the document at the same time: GoogleDocs will show you this by color-coding the box the other users are working on, so try not to edit that box or line.
If you guys have any suggestions let me know.

Maybe you can work with this, @ tomboy ?