[Userscript] WaniKani Review Feedback Sounds

Hi guys,

I started using WaniKani a bit over a week ago and I’m really loving it. Thought reviews/lessons needed a bit of audible feedback, to match the very stylish UI, and I didn’t come across any extensions that incorporated sounds.

Thought I’d make my first post something that other users might enjoy, so here is a script for sounds on “Correct” or “Incorrect”.

Sounds by: https://www.freesound.org/people/Bertrof/

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/16230-wanikani-sounds

If you have any tips for improvement, or find any bugs, please comment below.

Thanks guys,
Peace

Nice! I like it

Great idea! It works for me in Chrome but not in other Chromium-based browsers. Any recommendations to fix it?

Thanks for the script, I like it!  I was wondering if you know of a way to make it not play a sound when I get a reading correct since I have the auto-read option on and the sounds overlap. I think I get the gist of what the script does, but I’m not sure how to modify it to not play the sound if its a correct reading. It’s been about a year since I have done anything real with javascript. For now I’m just gonna set the volume lower so I can hear the reading better.

PS: If you didn’t know about the auto-read option, its in the account settings as Autoplay audio in Lessons/Reviews.

Izana said... Great idea! It works for me in Chrome but not in other Chromium-based browsers. Any recommendations to fix it?
 Hey Izana, thanks for your feedback, could you please tell me which popular browsers you are referring to? Opera, Iron, etc? If you're referring to Opera, are you using the "Turbo" option or whatever it's called? I've noticed javascript injection does not work on the mobile version of Chrome when server-sided compression is active, and if you are using Opera this may be related. Either way, I'll need more information.

WillNiels said... Thanks for the script, I like it!  I was wondering if you know of a way to make it not play a sound when I get a reading correct since I have the auto-read option on and the sounds overlap. I think I get the gist of what the script does, but I'm not sure how to modify it to not play the sound if its a correct reading. It's been about a year since I have done anything real with javascript. For now I'm just gonna set the volume lower so I can hear the reading better.

PS: If you didn't know about the auto-read option, its in the account settings as Autoplay audio in Lessons/Reviews.
 Hi WillNiels, I'm glad you like it. I'll have a look into this, as I have not come across this feature. I'll use it going forward, so I'll try to adapt the script to fit.

Edit: Delayed the autoplay of the reading by one second, if the autoplay is enabled. Now the feedback sound should happen immediately, as before, but the pronunciation will be played one second after getting the correct answer. I preferred this over not playing the feedback sound as to keep consistency between reviews. Download the updated script if you'd like to try it.

I’m using the latest Iron build for OS X

Izana said... I'm using the latest Iron build for OS X
 Do other userscripts via Tampermonkey work?

Yes, I haven’t had any trouble with the other scripts I’m using.

It is quite possible that my script is using HTML (unlikely) or JavaScript (more likely) that the particular built of Iron that you are using does not support.

Unfortunately I only use Chrome and would only go so far as to support Firefox.

My apologies that the script does not work in that specific environment.