[Userscript] Self-Study Quiz

WaniKani Self-Study Quiz

A new version of the Wanikani Self-Study Quiz has arrived!

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

[ General Script Installation instructions ] :point_left: You’ll need a script host plugin like TamperMonkey
[ Open Framework Installation ]
[ Download / Install “Self-Study Quiz” ]

Opening the quiz

The quiz can now be from the Wanikani menu (see the Screenshots section below).
If you want to continue opening the quiz using the old method, i.e. from the Levels, Radicals, Kanji, and Vocabulary pages, you can install the companion script [Self-Study Hide Info].

Custom item selection filters

The quiz now supports highly customizable item selection via the Open Framework’s “filters”.

Built-in filters:
  • Item Type (radicals, kanji, vocabulary)
  • Level
  • SRS Level
  • Have Burned (including resurrected and retired)
Filter packs:

[Additional Filters] (by @seanblue)

• Recent Lessons
  • Leech Training
  • Don’t Show Items Coming Up For Review
  • …check the link above for up-to-date info

For scripters

The quiz can be opened programmatically with a specific set of items. See the [Self-Study Hide Info] script for an example.

Essentially, you just wait for the Self-Study Quiz script to be present, and then pass it an Open Framework filter configuration:

code
wkof.wait_state('ss_quiz', 'ready').then(open_quiz);
function open_quiz() {
    // Set up a custom filter.  We'll choose Level 1-5 Vocabulary in this example.
    var custom_options = {
        ipreset: {name: title, content: {
            wk_items: {enabled: true, filters: {
                level: {enabled: true, value: '1-5'},
                item_type: {enabled: true, value: 'vocabulary'},
            }},
        }},
    };

// Open the quiz
    ss_quiz.open(custom_options);
}

Screenshots

156 Likes

How was this posted 15 hours ago and I missed it.

Edit
: a little dumb of a request, but if possible being able to toggle non-burned and not just locked would be cool.

4 Likes

THIS IS GREAT. I just started using absalon’s script and found it very useful, now it’s time to upgrade!

9 Likes
sirvorn said...Edit: a little dumb of a request, but if possible being able to toggle non-burned and not just locked would be cool.
Good idea!

Question:  I've been debating something.  If you'll notice, each section (radical/kanji/vocab/level) currently operates independently.  If you move between sections, you've gotta press the corresponding sequence of buttons to hide/unhide and randomize.  I was debating still having the buttons at the top of each section, but having them affect everything on the page instead of just the section that follows a set of buttons.  Would you prefer it that way?

Question2:  Would you prefer that it save your last configuration, and automatically hide and randomize using the same settings as your last page visit?
1 Like

For the questions i think its fine to just keep those features as they are personally. Thanks for the scripts as always

rfindley questions… I think it’s perfect as is. anymore is simply icing ~frankiebluej

frankiebluej said... rfindley questions... I think it's perfect as is. anymore is simply icing ~frankiebluej
Maybe it's just me but the icing on the cake is almost always my favorite part of the whole cake...
1 Like

this is exactly what I use on the mobile app, good now I can do it on the browser as well :smiley:

v1.1.0 - (2016-05-11)
  - Added “presets”.
  - Added filtering of “burned” and “non-burned”.
  - Added saving of config.

For now, if you want to add to or modify the presets, they are at the top of the script.

v1.2.0 - Added preset manager.

Thanks for the update :stuck_out_tongue:

Question for those of you using this script…

I’ve added the following:

It’s exactly what it looks like:  a way to self-study your old or current items, but in WK Review format.

But I haven’t uploaded the update yet.  It’s a pretty significant addition to the functionality of the script – and it more than doubled the code size – so I wanted to ask for opinions on whether to proceed with uploading the update, or release this one under a different name.

[I also realized Ethan has a script with very similar name, so I was thinking about changing it anyway…  not sure what name to give it, though.]

Seems like these two would go well together - a complete self-study package in one handy script.

rfindley said...
sirvorn said...Edit: a little dumb of a request, but if possible being able to toggle non-burned and not just locked would be cool.
Good idea!

Question:  I've been debating something.  If you'll notice, each section (radical/kanji/vocab/level) currently operates independently.  If you move between sections, you've gotta press the corresponding sequence of buttons to hide/unhide and randomize.  I was debating still having the buttons at the top of each section, but having them affect everything on the page instead of just the section that follows a set of buttons.  Would you prefer it that way?

Question2:  Would you prefer that it save your last configuration, and automatically hide and randomize using the same settings as your last page visit?
 I think (in your little gif video) that this looks very cool and handy indeed! Especially with the ability to toggle burned/unburned.

To answer both of your above questions... Yes and Yes.

All the features are useful so if you decide to split the update into two scripts, people will want to download both of them. Therefore, just keep it within one script. looking forward to it. Maybe something like self -paced wanikani as a name

rfindley said...But I haven't uploaded the update yet.  It's a pretty significant addition to the functionality of the script -- and it more than doubled the code size -- so I wanted to ask for opinions on whether to proceed with uploading the update, or release this one under a different name.

[I also realized Ethan has a script with very similar name, so I was thinking about changing it anyway...  not sure what name to give it, though.]
I'd love this.
I have Ethan's self-study script installed also but have it disabled, since whenever I enable it, it automatically converts what I type into kana during reviews (yes the meanings, not the readings)
I haven't tested much beyond turning every script I use off and on again until I found the culprit, so I can't say for certain if it's another script that messes with Ethan's script.
I also use your (self-study) script and the item marker script for kanji specifically, just after I learned them. (before the first review, ideally).
It would be awesome if this all somehow would work together.

Thanks for all your work. <3
1 Like

I’m now thinking I’ll install this script tomorrow afternoon to only show all my burned items, and practice some kanji writing!
(And do extra recall on them too, hiding the English.)

>:D

rfindley said...But I haven't uploaded the update yet.  It's a pretty significant addition to the functionality of the script -- and it more than doubled the code size -- so I wanted to ask for opinions on whether to proceed with uploading the update, or release this one under a different name.
 Personally would love to see this update to the script :) Though if you decide to release under a different name, up for that too!

It seems really interesting, especially with the review add on. I haven’t tested it yet as I doesn’t have that much to study on except for what wanikani already reviews me on but it seems like it could be useful later on.
It’s very nice of you to develop an release all these scripts that improves WK bit by bit.