[Userscript] Item Marker

Item Marker

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18582-wanikani-item-marker

The item marker lets you mark individual radicals, kanji and vocabulary.
Items can be marked on their own page as well as during a review.
Items stay marked until they get manually unmarked.
Multiple lists are supported to store the marked items.

Marked items are shown on the dashboard, as well as on all item pages.

On all pages of WaniKani, the marked and unmarked items can be shown with a border.
Per default, marked items are shown with a black border, unmarked items are shown without one.

This scrips comes with an options window, accessible via the menu in the top right corner.
The following options are available:

• “Border color for marked items”: Color of the border that marked items get
  • “Border color for unmarked items”: Color of the border that unmarked items get.
  • “Use links to mark/unmark items”: If this option is checked, all links on WaniKani will no longer redirect, but rather they can be used to mark/unmark items.
  • “Show warning during reviews”: Adds ‘!!!’ before and after an item, so you get warned that you just have encountered one of your marked items.
  • “Add 30 second delay before review answer is possible”: Hides the input box for 30 seconds to prevent you from answering too fast. Take the time and think hard about the item you’ve just encountered. This only happens for marked items.

2017-09-10 - 4.0.0 - Added support to have multiple lists of marked items
2017-09-02 - 3.0.0 - Added review warnings and input delay
2016-04-26 - 2.0.0 - Marked items have a border on all pages; Added options window
2016-04-07 - 1.0.0 - First version

Extended review session page

• Red border: Mark/Unmark the current item
  • Green borders: Warnings to tell you that you’ve just encountered a marked item. This needs to be enabled in the options, it’s disabled per default.
  • Blue border: The input box gets hidden for 30 seconds for marked items. This forces you to think about the item. This needs to be enabled in the options, it’s disabled per default.

Marked items on the result page

Overview of marked items on an item page

item_page

Multiple lists of marked items

The options window

options_window_how_to_open

8 Likes

Finally, a way to not have to scroll through all the level x kanji/vocab to find those couple items I always need to reference!!

Thanks for this, I’ll install it when I get home.

I updated the userscript.

Basically the following things changed:
- On all pages (previously only on the review page) marked and unmarked items are displayed with a border (per default: black border for marked items, no border for unmarked items)
- There is now an options window (can be opened via the menu in the top right corner). Here you will be able to configure stuff, for instance the color of your borders.
- One of the options is called “Use links to mark/unmark items”. If you check this, many links will no longer redirect you to a different page, but instead they can be used to mark/unmark items. This can be used to easily batch mark/unmark items, e.g. on the lattice page. This option only affects links that refer to a radical/kanji/vocabulary, all other links are not effected.

Hey! This is really useful!

EskimoJo said... Hey! This is really useful!
 Indeed! So annoying I somehow missed this 4 months ago.

oh em gee
this is a script I’ve been needing for a long time!  When I’m doing reviews etc, I tend to find a few words that I get mixed up but can’t find them later again when I’m done.  You’ve made my studying so much easier.

Sometimes I have to click on the Tampermonkey button in Chrome for the script to appear on the page. Be it review page or dashboard.

This is really useful, I think it’s probably the best way to deal with leeches. 

I’ve been finding this really useful. Thanks for making it!

One small extra feature I’d really love would be if on the dashboard items could display reading and meaning if you hover over them (like your current level radicals and kanji do). Would such a thing be possible / easy to do?

I’d be nice if I could export the current marked items’ list to Anki. It surely needs extra memorization.

patarapolw said... I'd be nice if I could export the current marked items' list to Anki. It surely needs extra memorization.
 That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about extending this script anyways, so I'll keep that in mind.
irx11 said...
patarapolw said... I'd be nice if I could export the current marked items' list to Anki. It surely needs extra memorization.
 That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about extending this script anyways, so I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks. I'll be waiting for the update. 

Would there be any way to view all your marked items at once with meaning and reading together (like the display on a level page)? Alternatively, could the item info appear as a hover over box on the main screen (like current level kanji)?

I think this is one of the most useful scripts but when it comes time to “actually do something about” my marked items it’s a bit of a faff to click in and out of each one to get the info.

Edit: Ha, just noticed I posted a very similar thing on page one a couple of months ago. Well, at least I’m consistent.

My python script to review marked vocab: http://pastebin.com/aUi3t62k
It works with any vocab list separated by “;” between words.

The Item Marker script has been extended.

2 new features were added to the review session page:

• Warning during reviews: When a marked item is encountered during a review !!! are added before and after the item, to inform you that the item is one of the marked ones.
  • Input delay: When a marked item is encountered, the input box is hidden for 30 seconds. This forces you to think about your answer.

Both features need to be enabled in the options. They are disabled per default.

I implemented these things to deal with leeches. My marked items contain my leeches, and especially the input delay has been so far quite useful in dealing with them.
Please try for yourself if this is in anyway useful to you.

A new update. The script now supports multiple lists at once. So basically you have 5 lists where you can store your marked items in. The original marked items will have been moved to list A.
There are some buttons with each list so you can copy all items from one list to another (this just adds all items to the other list if it’s not already in there).

lists

Can I disable list B-E, so that I don’t have too many lists?

Not at this moment. I’ll add this to my todo list for the future.

A way to collapse the lists in general would be nice as they take up way too much space.

1 Like

Sounds good too. Added to by todo list :slight_smile:

1 Like