[Userscript] Forum Bar

Forum Bar

:warning: This is a third-party script/app and is not created by the WaniKani team. By using this, you understand that it can stop working at any time or be discontinued indefinitely.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/22785-wanikani-forum-bar

Do you ever have several forum tabs open at the same time, and forget which is which?
Have you been in a thread so far off-topic that you forgot which thread it is?

A little something to help you out:

[^^^ Bonus:  a little tribute to my gyoza-loving compadre  =(^-^)=  ]

Change History:
v1.0.1 - More integrated color scheme (2016-09-05)  – Thanks @Mempo for suggestions

Bahahaha. Ok so I had to get this one for obvious reasons.

You’re the best. Now post more things and be my neighbor again. We’re making so much progress!

I’m grateful you made this, but also feel like you’re passively enabling our procrastination tendencies by making the forums easier to waste time on… But wait that might actually cause one to become disenchanted with them and focus more on one’s studies… What’s this mysterious attraction to inefficiency? On the other hand sometimes using the forums can be productive if the discussions are on topic… Maybe we can now easily perceive the relevance of seeming ‘pointless’ threads… keeps musing paradoxically for a while

Aaaah oops this is a public forum ごめん。

Thanks Rfindley-様!

DpenD said... I'm grateful you made this, but also feel like you're passively enabling our procrastination tendencies by making the forums easier to waste time on..... But wait that might actually cause one to become disenchanted with them and focus more on one's studies... What's this mysterious attraction to inefficiency? On the other hand sometimes using the forums can be productive if the discussions are on topic... Maybe we can now easily perceive the relevance of seeming 'pointless' threads... *keeps musing paradoxically for a while*

Thanks Rfindley-様!
 I have a script that counts how you spend your time on WK...   I could probably add a feature to make the forums slowly fade into oblivion the longer you spend here :-)
rfindley said...
DpenD said... I'm grateful you made this, but also feel like you're passively enabling our procrastination tendencies by making the forums easier to waste time on..... But wait that might actually cause one to become disenchanted with them and focus more on one's studies... What's this mysterious attraction to inefficiency? On the other hand sometimes using the forums can be productive if the discussions are on topic... Maybe we can now easily perceive the relevance of seeming 'pointless' threads... *keeps musing paradoxically for a while*

Thanks Rfindley-様!
 I have a script that counts how you spend your time on WK...   I could probably add a feature to make the forums slowly fade into oblivion the longer you spend here :-)
 まじで?!?Is there anything you don't have a script for haha
DpenD said...
rfindley said... I have a script that counts how you spend your time on WK...   I could probably add a feature to make the forums slowly fade into oblivion the longer you spend here :-)
 まじで?!?Is there anything you don't have a script for haha
 Oh my... I have lots of unfulfilled script ideas that I would love to have time to spend on  ^_^

Cool idea!

The black bar was distracting me though, so I put it inside “.navbar-inner” (below top bar) with the default gray text color.

Mempo said... Cool idea!

The black bar was distracting me though, so I put it inside ".navbar-inner" (below top bar) with the default gray text color.
 Snapshot, please :-)
rfindley said...
Mempo said... Cool idea!

The black bar was distracting me though, so I put it inside ".navbar-inner" (below top bar) with the default gray text color.
 Snapshot, please :-)
 ![](upload://vAdoWSxaPiF7kQ06vy8zX8gl4G7.png)

v1.0.1 - More integrated color scheme

You’re right, that’s a lot better!

I’ll still keep a slight visual separation:

I moved it inside the “.navbar-inner”, as you said, but added a mostly-transparent darkening color, added a light border-top for contrast, and switched the font to a dark gray.  Nice thing is, it now keeps the drop-shadow from the original menu!

Thanks for the insights!

When Mempo and rfindley collaborate… the possibilities are boundless. ~frankiebluej

I am experiencing a very minor inconvenience when using this script in combination with the forum enhancer [link], but I thought I would notify you anyway, so you’re at least aware.

Whenever I visit a thread that I already visited in the past, the forum enhancer navigates me to the first new post, as usual, but then the forum bar hides the first line of text, so I always have to scroll up once to read the line.

example 1: 

example 2 (without the dark skin):

I’ve mentioned it in the WK discord, and it seems I’m the only one experiencing it, but I just wanted to let you know, in case there will be others.
(using Chrome Version 53.0.2785.143 m (64-bit), win10)

If you need more info, let me know :smiley:

Hmm…  I’m not sure what I could do on my end.  If the Forum Enhancer was a regular userscript, I could probably fix it on that end, but it looks like it’s an extension.

Does the Forum Enhancer normally scroll such that the poster’s name is obscured?  That’s how it looks like it would be without the Forum Bar.

No, it scrolls down just to where the post begins.
Oh well, as i said its just a very minor inconvenience. just wanted to let you know :slight_smile: