[UserScript] WaniKani Lightning Mode

***Update***

This script is no longer being maintained, but its functionality has been integrated into [Double-Check], which is still maintained.

Lightning Mode

Based on the Lightning Mode feature from Kyle Coburn’s now-defunct “WaniKani Customizer” plugin.

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/12853-wanikani-lightning-mode

Lightning Mode adds a small lightning bolt icon in the upper-left corner of the review screen. Click the icon to enable/disable Lightning Mode.

When enabled:

• Correct answers will immediately move to the next review item, without needing the usual second click or keypress.
  • Incorrect answers will open the Item Info box, and will remain on the current item until you click for the next item.

History:
v1.0.3 - Fix to restore SRS status popup. Thanks to @ccookf for contributions! (2017-05-12)
v1.0.2 - Enable lightning mode by default for new installs. (2016-09-30)
v1.0.1 - Added option to not auto-advance if answer is slightly off.
             Added option to not auto-advance if item has multiple answers.

To modify settings, follow the instructions in the [Settings] portion of the script code.

13 Likes

Only Chrome is tested so far.  Please post any issues below.
Thanks!!

ffao said...If you want something a little fancier, WaniKani Improve (/t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858/1) also does that, and it displays some stuff you might miss due to the automatic button press (popup if the item leveled up / colored indicators for "there are other possible meanings" / "your answer was a little bit off" ).
Didn't know this was already integrated into another still-working script :-)
Thanks for the info and link!

Thanks for this! It’s good for morning, where I don’t have time to dwell on individual items.

These should really be user settings within the WaniKani site itself. The public API key allows for total awesomeness, but the projects that use them tend to go stale as their developers aren’t being fed…

OkumaScott said...These should really be user settings within the WaniKani site itself. The public API key allows for total awesomeness, but the projects that use them tend to go stale as their developers aren't being fed... 
 How 'bout free Lifetime for scripters?  :-)
rfindley said...
OkumaScott said...These should really be user settings within the WaniKani site itself. The public API key allows for total awesomeness, but the projects that use them tend to go stale as their developers aren't being fed... 
 How 'bout free Lifetime for scripters?  :-)
 ![|300x177](upload://ubp8PG6nSs261xFqCxokP8c5Q4X.gif)

Give back my moneyz Koichi!

I’ve been using this script every day, I can’t do without it. If you feel like it, it would be nice however to add a feature that indicates when you didn’t type the answer 100% correct… stares intently at rfindley

Frouzich said... I've been using this script every day, I can't do without it. If you feel like it, it would be nice however to add a feature that indicates when you didn't type the answer 100% correct... *stares intently at rfindley*
That's a good idea.  I only have reviews about once every 5 days, but I'll see what I can do when the next round comes up.

Hey! Thanks a bunch for making this first of all :D 

I seem to be having a problem and I dont know how to fix it. When I activate Lightning mode, Every time I get an answer correct it reloads the page. 

Its probably something on my end but iIhave no idea why this is happening so if you have any incite let me know.

revolutnine said... Hey! Thanks a bunch for making this first of all :D 

I seem to be having a problem and I dont know how to fix it. When I activate Lightning mode, Every time I get an answer correct it reloads the page. 

Its probably something on my end but iIhave no idea why this is happening so if you have any incite let me know.

If you have other scripts active, disable them and see if the error persists.
rfindley said...
Frouzich said... I've been using this script every day, I can't do without it. If you feel like it, it would be nice however to add a feature that indicates when you didn't type the answer 100% correct... *stares intently at rfindley*
That's a good idea.  I only have reviews about once every 5 days, but I'll see what I can do when the next round comes up.

And I have reviews about 5 times every day...

v1.0.1 - Added option to not auto-advance if answer is slightly off.
               Added option to not auto-advance if item has multiple answers.

To enable either of these settings, follow the instructions in the [Settings] portion of the script code.

Frouzich said...
revolutnine said... Hey! Thanks a bunch for making this first of all :D 

If you have other scripts active, disable them and see if the error persists.
 You were right! For some reason this and wanikani augmenter dont play nice together. I have no idea why but when I disable augmenter lightning mode works without a hitch. Its a shame I cant use both at the same time though. Since i mainly use augmenter for cancelling mistypes il see if i can find another script that does that. 

revolutnine said... You were right! For some reason this and wanikani augmenter dont play nice together. I have no idea why but when I disable augmenter lightning mode works without a hitch. Its a shame I cant use both at the same time though. Since i mainly use augmenter for cancelling mistypes il see if i can find another script that does that. 
 Augmenter is pretty ancient, and I think everything it does is supported by newer scripts.

Try one of these for mistypes:

Double Check:
/t/UserScript-WaniKani-Double-Check/8396/1
It allows you to change answers from Correct to Incorrect, or Incorrect to Correct.

Override:
/t/WK-Override-fixed-for-Greasemonkey/7428/1
It only allows you to change from Incorrect to Correct.

As always, use responsibly and with caution.

Doesn’t work at all in latest Firefox

BlueRaja said... Doesn't work at all in latest Firefox
 I just updated Firefox to latest.  Works fine for me.
Any errors in your Javascript console?  (press F12, then click Console tab, then reload the page)

EDIT:  Does the lightning bolt icon appear in the upper-left corner?  If so, is highlighted yellow?

That was it, guess I need to learn how to read.

Could you possibly make the lightning-bolt enabled by default after installing the script?  If people install the script I expect they want to use it. Always make the common case the default, etc.

BlueRaja said...Could you possibly make the lightning-bolt enabled by default after installing the script?
 I thought it was, but you're right... it wasn't.

v1.0.2 - Enable lightning mode by default for new installs.

Hey, I have a problem with this script. It worked well for some reviews and then stopped to work, I have no idea why. I tried to deactivate all the scripts but this one with no success.

EDIT: Ok, I turned the lightning mode off, didn’t know what that button was for ^^’