SushiMasher - A little multiplayer game to review vocabulary

Hello everyone! 

I have been using WaniKani since about a month ago and the truth is that I’m enjoying it a lot. Last week I decided to make a small multiplayer game to review vocabulary with other users. It is a turn based question-answer game, and is called SushiSmasher. I hope you enjoy it! 

Issues: 
1 - Wait until another user is connected, this can take a while. 
2 - You must have at least one vocabulary word unlocked to play. 
3 - the game is just to review vocabulary. 
4 - Be sure to type correctly your API key.

Updates v.1.1: 

- Simple chat feature included. The chat also works as a game log.
- Timer added, 10 seconds to type the correct reading of the word before fails.
- Opponent answers displayed.
- Sound added when a new player appears. 
- No more blank screens. 
- Minor bugs fixed.

SushiSmasher v1.1

looks nice,couldn’t try playing it yet , maybe we can do tournaments so waiting for another user would be easier :) 

Very nice game, and cute graphics too! Is it only for readings or will meanings be implemented soon?

Ahh this is so cute! Hopefully once people start noticing it there’ll be a more steady stream of opponents?

Thx! At the moment only for readings. I hope to do updates with new content soon! But first I have to fix some annoying bugs. : )

Kind of nice game, but it feels like there is a lot of waiting for unknown periods of time involved. It would be nice if there was a time limit with a countdown so you saw how much longer you have to wait in the worst case scenario. It would also be nice to see what the opponent answers (and if it’s correct or wrong).

Maybe also a max number of turns before a game ends as a draw or something like that otherwise it feels like it can go on forever.

A chat feature to chat with your opponent would be even nicer.

(Sorry Scyanite, I don’t have time to play any more so I’m answering wrong on everything now to see what it looks like when you die.)

nibarius said... Kind of nice game, but it feels like there is a lot of waiting for unknown periods of time involved. It would be nice if there was a time limit with a countdown so you saw how much longer you have to wait in the worst case scenario. It would also be nice to see what the opponent answers (and if it's correct or wrong).

Maybe also a max number of turns before a game ends as a draw or something like that otherwise it feels like it can go on forever.

A chat feature to chat with your opponent would be even nicer.

(Sorry Scyanite, I don't have time to play any more so I'm answering wrong on everything now to see what it looks like when you die.)
Haha! I was studying TextFugu at the same time, sorry about the delay on the answering.

if the page is just dark gray apart from the title bar, does that mean i’m waiting? If so, maybe a text like “waiting for an opponent” would be helpful.

And how do you handle users with different levels?

Thank you very much for your suggestions, nibarius!

I played just to see what happens to the sushi character :slight_smile:  

I’m sure it would be harder, but it would be cool to play against a computer (AI opponent that just randomly draws from all 50 levels of Wanikani).  You’d get to see some of what’s coming in the future while still practicing your own vocab.  Of course, if another player is available it can default to them.

It was awesome! And I got my behind kicked by the creator, thanks delcannon! My wife is on WK, I am totally going to take the fight to her tomorrow. Great game, if I had any suggestion it would be that a chat feature would be fun to add to the excitement. All in all, really good fun though! :smiley:

Once it gets more popular it might not be needed, but It’d be nice if there was an alert to let you know someone joined. This way you could have the site up, but still work on other things. I had the site up for about 20 minutes, and as far as I know no one showed up to play. I was working on another site and only occasionally checking to see if anyone popped up, so I may have missed someone. And, if I waited any longer I’d probably forget I have it up.

Despite not getting a chance to play, it looks really cute and excited to get a chance to try it.

This looks like a super cute and awesome game. It’s a shame I haven’t been able to play it yet. Nice work~!

This looks awesome! Can’t wait to try it!

@Delacannon Thank you for the quick game. I appreciate it. I’m sorry but I needed to go to bed. Thanks so much for this fun and charming game. I must say each time the smasher got closer my heart started pounding. I was like… “Oh no! My lil’ sushi~!!!” D: 

@Delacannon. Great game, fun and educational. Thank you for creating and posting.

Fun little game! I enjoyed mashing your sushi to bits :slight_smile:

Adding multiplayer to vocab review sure makes it more enjoyable, particularly when there’s adorable sushi on the line. Now we just need a persistent leaderboard >:D

Looki and I tried playing, but we’re just getting a blank screen. Any tips on how to make it work?

Edit: Looki got it working but I still haven’t. Might be an issue with the number of vocab I’ve unlocked… the WK server has a habit of pooping itself when my full vocab list is requested by an app.

Tried playing, there was no-one else online, apparently :frowning:
(Might have to do with timezones…)
It looks nice, but an option to play against a bot or something similar would be nice. Or maybe an indication of how many people are online? Saves waiting around for no-one.

Getting the same grey blank screen as others, no idea if this means I’m waiting or not because the page is finished loading.