Shinkoku - Single-page site to view your critical items at a glance

Hey all,

I just released a single-page site called Shinkoku, which allows you to get and view the items you’ve gotten correct less than 80% of the time. I built this because I wanted to have someplace to see the items I’m sucking at and be able to study them whenever I get spare amounts of time. But another big reason why I built this is because I’m teaching myself React and wanted to build something simple and useful for myself. As such, I also released this as open source in case anyone is interested in looking at the code and maybe even help out. My Javascript skills are not stellar, but I got something to work so it can’t be that bad, right? :slight_smile: Anyway, I hope someone else can find this site useful!

Site: http://shinkoku.dennmart.com/
Github repo: https://github.com/dennmart/shinkoku

---------------

Changelog:

August 2, 2015

• Initial release!
August 4, 2015
  • When you enter your API key, the key will be part of the URL so you can bookmark it and don’t need to save it again. Alternatively you can go directly to your items by going to http://dennmart.com/shinkoku/#/<your API key> (The hash symbol is important here!).
  • Added a simple counter to display how many items are shown (including when filtered).
August 5, 2015
  • Added a modal with additional information and a link to the respective WaniKani page when clicking on any item.
March 8, 2016
  • Shinkoku is now in a subdomain! If you had the site bookmarked you should be redirected. You’ll need to re-enter your API key if you had that bookmarked - you should then update your bookmark with the updated URL and API key.
  • A few backend changes in the code (React / React Router upgrades, using browser history instead of hash history for ‘pretty URLs’). 

4 Likes

Hey, this is fantastic!! Thank-you very much(^^)

Thanks Dennmart, very useful!

Interesting… I only have 8 items below 80%. I really thought it would be worse!

Thank you for this site! :smiley:

Oooh, I like this. Thank you.

Great idea!

And wow - I have a TON.

Could you add a counter to tell me how many of each item type we have?

Aleithian - That’s something I wanted to do and it totally skipped my mind! I’ll add it sometime in the next couple of days.

Glad to hear people are finding some value in this!

I have none? That’s a nice surprise! There are a few items I feel I keep bombing…
But thanks anyway! Should be useful as things get tougher!

Thanks Dennmart!

Neat. I have a mere 45. Meanwhile, the WK frontpage tells me I have 2… but there are a definitely a lot I remember having trouble with on your site.
You should add links to the respective vocab pages.

EskimoJo said... I have none? That's a nice surprise! There are a few items I feel I keep bombing...
But thanks anyway! Should be useful as things get tougher!
 I have too many, wanna share?

@dennmart: Thanks, this is very neat. Simple to use and structed nicely.

This is a really useful thing, thanks for sharing it.

If you felt inclined, maybe there could be an option to download a TSV file for putting into a spreadsheet and/or an ANKI deck. And would it be possible to include user defined synonyms?

Thanks again.

P.S. 24

that’s really awesome, thanks a lot!

45 critical items, i feel so dumb :frowning:
Could you maybe add an option to display the level they are on or to sort them by level?
I’d like to work through them starting from the early levels, since i don’t think it’s too bad to have <80% for your current level  :slight_smile:

Can you make it so it saves your api key? To cookies for example.
Entering it every time I open the page doesn’t seem like the most rational thing :slight_smile:

Great tool, btw!

dennmart said... Aleithian - That's something I wanted to do and it totally skipped my mind! I'll add it sometime in the next couple of days.

Glad to hear people are finding some value in this!

OK thanks. :)

looki - I think the ‘Critical Items’ list in the front page uses a much lower percentage of times you have answered correctly, so that’s why less items appear. I’ll be adding more information about the items soon.

hoovard - A downloadable Anki file here is nice, but I didn’t add it because this functionality is already in the WaniKani to Anki exporter I built before (cheap plug!) - I think you can probably use the generated file in a spreadsheet app. I’m planning on adding more additional information, including the user synonyms, in an upcoming release, so stay tuned!

Tolotos - Like I mentioned above, I’ll be adding more information to the items soon. Sorting by level is a great idea! I’ll add it to my to-do list.

Anzeigan - Having an easy way to save the page with your API key pre-populated is my top issue right now. Look on having that added soon.

Again, thanks for the kind words, I’m really happy other people find this page useful!

dennmart said... looki - I think the 'Critical Items' list in the front page uses a much lower percentage of times you have answered correctly, so that's why less items appear. I'll be adding more information about the items soon.
 Oh yeah, I know, I just wanted to point out the extreme difference. :D It looks like the WK page uses 75%, because the two items are had there are a bit lower than 75. It was also supposed to be a form of compliment, since the ones that your site shows are definitely somewhat critical. I get many of them wrong all the time.
"You currently don't have any critical items.
Keep up the good work!"

mztik said... "You currently don't have any critical items.
Keep up the good work!"

Best gif ever.

That is one amazing gif!

Just a brief update, I made a few changes to the page.

• When you enter your API key, the key will be part of the URL so you can bookmark it and don’t need to save it again. Alternatively you can go directly to your items by going to http://dennmart.com/shinkoku/#/ (The hash symbol is important here!).
  • Added a simple counter to display how many items are shown (including when filtered).
Next step for me will be to add a modal where you’ll be able to see more information when you click on one of your items. I’ll try to get that out within the next few days. Thanks again for all the feedback, it’s been great to hear!